Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you give your animals the run of the full house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Yep, they go wherever they like except no bedroom for the big fella unless I'm with him as shoes/socks/clothes would be destroyed, and no bathroom either since he is partial to some toilet tissue shredding as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

You'd be amazed how good my Grey is with stairs, then. She can make it to the second floor in 2 leaps.

She generally has the run of the house.
    medium.jpg

WYK
    Glowing wrote: »
    My greyhounds would love nothing more than to have a nap in my bed, but they haven't learnt to climb the stairs!!! They follow us around the house, then stop at the bottom of the stairs just looking up ...... ! One of them got up once, but she couldn't get back down, but the other hasn't even tried! I know greys are lazy ... but this is really taking it far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

We have a polydactyl Norwegian Forest cat and live in a ground floor apartment. She sleeps where she likes and has her favourite spots including our bed which which will jump in with us at night.

She is good in that she is house trained and wont go in the house at all, preferring to go outside.. doesnt climb on tables, wont steal food, drinks water out of the fish bowl but wont go near the fish :confused:

Our little mutant cat is a bit off the wall really!

Edit: found out what breed she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

My cat Sage has the run of our apartment, cant put her outside were three storeys up and then we have an upstairs in the attic as well. She sleeps in bed at nite with me and my partner and during the day she sleeps in the linen press or on the spare bed. She's allowed do whatever she likes we spoil her rotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Alan Ford wrote: »
    They go out at about 9am and in about 7pm and do nothing but snores and farts.

Ha Ha ... and we thought it was just us! Don't mind the snores .. but the tooting, especially in the car is way out!
    I really appreciate all the replies on the poll. I think we are in the yes, but with some limitations. The pictures posted were hilarious becuase I can sooo identify with them - especially the one with the ripped up jax roll and the two little stinkies smiling up all innocent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Two indoor cats that have the run of the house,
    only cause they are litter trained and would not hear of
    going anywhere else. They have a litter tray each(cause each thinks they are better than the other and above
    using the others tray) FUSSY!!!
    One pom pup who is 5 months old and although is now
    also trained in that department is not above making
    little mistakes, and if you cant see her you dont know what she is leaving behind,unless you are in your bare feet,So she is confined to the kitchen at night with her toys and her (pigs ear) which she loves to chew on,
    its like a teething ring for puppies,(replaced when needed) so l guess its up to your animals routine and
    personality what you do.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

My boxers are in their runs in the day when im not at home, otherwise there free to roam around the outside of the house and surrounding fields( joys of living in no mans land!!!) then brought in to the house after their evening walk and then they sleep in their own kennels at night.

My mini yorkie has access to all the house and has explored every bit of it and even jumping into the dryer when i left it open! She sleeps in our bed every night and even in the day or evening when she wants a nap she heads up to "our" bed - i bought her fab soft beds and even left them in the room but she wont sleep in them so i just let her in the bed as she's so small and lazy you wouldnt really know she was there at all!! Know id miss her too much and would never dream of not having her sleeping with us.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kazzpop

i have two cats - 1 male and 1 female, the male cat likes to roam around outdoors during the day time, and at night he comes in and goes to bed - he sleeps much same as us. has about 4-5 beds around the house - he never sleeps in any of them - likes to curl up with us in our bed or better still lies out on the leather sofa!!!! cheeky thing !! - bad habits
    the female cat - is rescure cat - she is afraid of her own shadow, never goes out- and if she did she cries to get back in. she has full run of the house. when we are in. If we go out both cats stay in the house and can go anywhere accept for leather sofa - tv room which we locked the doors ! - Female cat has her own bed - hanging off the rads- she loves- probably the best bed buy we got!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Holly, my rescue lab boxer cross, has the run of downstairs now and about the first 5 steps of the stairs when I'm up there. She doesn't really want to venture any further anyway cause that's where the bath is!

On the odd very stormy night I will let her sleep in the bedroom on her bed cause she gets a bit freaked out by the wind (where was this dog raised???) and she'll cry if I leave her in the kitchen which is her usual boudoir.

I have to confess to letting her snuggle with me on the couch if I think either of us have had a hard day.

2575948609_3dd00a5508_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dobies have the full run of the outside - limited of course by the pet safe electric fence which borders the property.

Id love to let them in the house but 'others' disagree. I have left them in a few times when everyone was away but you don't realise how massive and strong they are until you see them up on the kitchen table eating a loaf of bread. :eek:

They do have a comfortable dog house (with automatic air heating for those frosty nights) in the garage as well as assorted dog baskets / smaller houses and so are not too upset when the weather gets bad.

My collie envies the way my cat can jump up on the windowsill and get in through open windows. He tried it himself a few times but it did not go so well for him. In any case he likes to be outdoors most of the time but is just jealous of the cat being left in. My cat stays in during bad weather but once the sun is out she is off on her travels all around the neighbourhood. She sleeps in my room at night but prefers her own little bed.

Since I got her I have never needed to set the alarm clock as she wakes me up every morning at 6am sharp to be left out fed etc. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Our dogs are not allowed upstairs and they are not allowed on the furniture. At night, and when we are out, they are in the kitchen and have a dog-flap so they can play in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

Cats have full run of the house until it's bed time and then are confined to the kitchen and secured outdoor area - although 1 or 2 nights a week they are free to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

Gizmo my jack russel is allowed everywhere in the house he even sleeps in the bed even though he has 4 of his own

If I ever have kids Gizmo wont be kicked out of the bed hes too spoilt and hes like a hot water bottle at my feet though sometimes we have to share the pillows when he decides to sleep like a human in between us:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pollydoodles

My lot were confined to indoors until I moved two years ago. Snotzer the cat was an indoor cat for 10 years now she loves lounging in the Greenhouse in the daytime but over the years any cats I had I always brought at night (Foxes)! The three dogs Spandau, Beckyboo and Pollydoodles have the full run of the house and sleep in the bed with me. I have to change the bedclothes every two days because of the hairs and when they are moulting its unreal the amount of hair they leave everywhere! The upside is they are all very happy and loved and VERY well behaved. You can love your pets and still let them know who the boss is!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Jake is allowed in every room except our bedroom, he is not allowed on the furniture. He has his bed in his crate and loves the crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

My dog is allowed everywhere and she sleeps on our beds. We have blankets at end of the bed so that she doesn't get hairs everywhere.

Shes a Lab+Retri cross but kinda small, perfectly house trained and quite the lady, she wont go outside if its raining heavily and once got out of a lake just to pee. :P

Wouldn't have it any other way to be honest, shes like a human. :D

Advertisement