Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ibiza Mk2: Cat or ecu gone?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

My 98 Ibiza 1ltr was due it's NCT a few weeks ago.
    I took it to a garage for a service & it turns out the emissions are through the roof.

The mechanic replaced the lambda sensor, which made no difference.

The cat being gone seems to be the obvious conclusion, but the mechanic (who'd spoken to a mate of his at a Seat garage), reckoned it may be the ecu.

The cat is 300-400€ fitted, which I'm happy enough to pay, but the ecu was 700€+ according to the mechanic.

He recommended trading it in at another garage & neglect to mention the issues.
    Problem is the tax is now 2 months out and it has no nct.
    Any dealer with half a brain would smell a rat, so the car's worth sod all.

Should I chance replacing the cat? Or just try to rid myself of it altogether?

I'm fond of the car & not really that keen on going through the hassle of finding another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You need to get a second opinion.

If the Lambda sensor was changed without it making any difference then it can’t have been faulty. If the mechanic either didn’t or couldn’t test it then his further vague diagnosis of cat or ECU has to be suspect. If the suggestion of an ECU was made solely due to someone on the phone telling him it is likely then that’s not worth much.
    If this does need an ECU, they are about the easiest to fit a used one to so no need for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Thanks for the reply.

He claimed there was only one mechanic in Tralee with the equipment to test emissions.
    Didn't sound like he really did anything aside from change the Lambda sensor, which another mechanic had told me to do since a previous emissions test said there was no signal from it.

What about a cat?
    Would it be worth trying to get one second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I got a second hand cat put on my '98 Ibiza [diesel] over two years ago. Two NCT's and still protecting the environment!
    Dont recall the exact price but it was less than €100 and €20 or so to get welded on. That less than what you have quoted. Mechanic got mine from the breakers, so he knew if it was a good one or not i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

RichyX wrote: »

What about a cat?
    Would it be worth trying to get one second hand?

Not worth changing the cat, or any part, until someone has tested and actually diagnosed the fault.

Advertisement