Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POI: Speed Camera Detector (Ireland)

Options
  • 25-05-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Is there a link/site available where I can download speed camera points for my Garmin Nuvi 250 Sat Nav?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

www.irishspeedtraps.com

its a paid service

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

http://www.mypois.ie/ also has other places of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

http://www.speednanny.ie/satnav.htm

Personaly I think this seems better value then the irishspeedtraps version.
    Although they could be identical databases, one company selling their poi to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

sham08 wrote: »
    http://www.mypois.ie/ also has other places of interest

Top link!

Thanks for that, will be adding info to my G 760 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

mondeo wrote: »
    http://www.speednanny.ie/satnav.htm

Personaly I think this seems better value then the irishspeedtraps version.
    Although they could be identical databases, one company selling their poi to another.

Our download is on special offer at the moment for €25 incl one years free updates (see link in signature). Even without this discount we are cheaper than speednanny.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

SSCDB.info has static cameras for Ireland.

I'm not too convinced about the need to have POis for mobile traps - a quick look at maps shows that there are so many that you would probably get immune to the warnings. And of course they are often in obvious areas. Of course YMMV.

I downloaded all the traps from scdb.info for France last year and found the mobile traps to be annoying as the satnav was regularly throwing out warnings and I didn't see a single one. The fixed ones were handy and it was amusing to see batches of cars breaking at the same time because you could imagine their satnav beeping to warn them.

Possibly a good advice is to have your satnav alert you if going more than 10km/h over the speedlimit or similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are very few static speed cameras in the Republic so what you are paying for is a list of points around the country where at some stage in the past couple of years somebody spotted a mobile speed trap. In my opinion paying for this information is a complete waste of money, just observe the speed limit and save your money.

You could just as easily throw darts at a map of Ireland and store the locations in your GPS, the information would have the same value as what these guys or any other similar service provider is offering.

I downloaded the static camera points for republic of ireland, maybe 20 odd locations in total, my satnav is great at warning me of these static cams, on the n3 there the other day heading to carlow it was very cool seeing it beep at them as i drove past. Regards the mobile traps well I can imagine how annoying it would be. 80% of the time their probably wont be a trap as you are passing the point. I stick to the limit anyways so I dont worry about it.
    But I am happy with my static camera locations on my satnav, I think it's cool having them there, it's amusing and informative.

I'm not sure if it is worth paying for a safety camera alert service at this point in time when we have feck all fixed static cams in ireland. As it stands for 25e why not get what they have to offer anyways.

I forgot to mention that if you look in the latest argos you will see gps based camera detectors.. Interesting stuff. I wonder what company provides their safety camera data.

Garmin actually provide this data on their car units but not for Ireland because their interpretation of Irish law is that it is illegal to use a device which warns of or detects speed cameras.

I borrowed a Nuvi 7xx unit from a friend for a trip to Liverpool in April 2007 and while driving around the city it was beeping the whole time at me about speed traps. If you check the Map settings in any Nuvi and click the 'About' option you'll see lots of copyright notices about speed camera data for several European countries.

I also have the N3 cameras in my GPs but I didn't pay anyone for them, I recorded their positions over a few trips and now have them stored for free.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Nuvis come with a trial subscription to the Cyclops database. However seeing as we have a tiny number of fixed cameras in Ireland it's probably not worth the hassle of updating them for Garmin/cyclops in the trial version - maybe its available for the free 1 month sub ?

Navigon supply free radar info for Becker and it includes the Irish static cams.

coylemj wrote: »
    Garmin actually provide this data on their car units but not for Ireland because their interpretation of Irish law is that it is illegal to use a device which warns of or detects speed cameras.

I borrowed a Nuvi 7xx unit from a friend for a trip to Liverpool in April 2007 and while driving around the city it was beeping the whole time at me about speed traps. If you check the Map settings in any Nuvi and click the 'About' option you'll see lots of copyright notices about speed camera data for several European countries.

I also have the N3 cameras in my GPs but I didn't pay anyone for them, I recorded their positions over a few trips and now have them stored for free.

I did not pay for mine either, i got them of some website for free. Cannot argue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here is the list I've put together myself: GardaHotSpots. It includes static cameras and raised Garda Platforms that I've come across.

If you want a copy (free) just pm me your e-mail address, and which GPS receiver you want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

On www.mypois.ie you can download road danger zones and warning zones onto Garmin GPS. These downloads are completely free and are based on official 2005 road traffic accident data from the Road Safety Authority and the An Garda Pulse System - data that is available under the Freedom of Information Act. All accident zones have been assigned a weighting based on the same system used by An Garda Siochana.

Our database has approx 750 Danger Zones (which are worth downloading to your GPS) and just under 6,000 Warning Zones (which are useful to refer to but not a recommended download unless you want your GPS beeping at you every few seconds).

We also partner with www.irishspeedtraps.com to offer fixed and mobile speed camera information however this is part of a paid subscription service.

I think the combination of official high risk zones and speed camera information does add value to any GPS but I think the best solution would be if sat nav systems contained road speed information for all roads in the first place but this is not as straighforward because there is no single source of information.

On www.mypois.ie you can download road danger zones and warning zones onto Garmin GPS. These downloads are completely free and are based on official 2005 road traffic accident data from the Road Safety Authority and the An Garda Pulse System - data that is available under the Freedom of Information Act. All accident zones have been assigned a weighting based on the same system used by An Garda Siochana.

Our database has approx 750 Danger Zones (which are worth downloading to your GPS) and just under 6,000 Warning Zones (which are useful to refer to but not a recommended download unless you want your GPS beeping at you every few seconds).

We also partner with www.irishspeedtraps.com to offer fixed and mobile speed camera information however this is part of a paid subscription service.

I think the combination of official high risk zones and speed camera information does add value to any GPS but I think the best solution would be if sat nav systems contained road speed information for all roads in the first place but this is not as straighforward because there is no single source of information.

Those 6000 odd warning zones would annoy me with all the beeping.
    Why dont you and irishspeedtraps integrate voice warnings instead of all the beeping? The uk models are great with their voice alerts.

I bought my satnav of yourself last year and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I download the 750 Danger zones from Mypoi.ie to a nuvi 770 and cannot figure out how to remove them? I tryed Garmins POI loader but there still there, any help appreciated.

Garmin POILoader has an option to 'Remove all previously installed custom POIs from your device', this is how to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I tryed that and there still there, its starting to annoy me now.

They were installed from the Mypoi.ie website and not by the Garmin POI loader so maybe they are in a different folder or something.

I might have to get in touch with MyPoi.ie for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Here is the list I've put together myself: GardaHotSpots. It includes static cameras and raised Garda Platforms that I've come across.

If you want a copy (free) just pm me your e-mail address, and which GPS receiver you want it for.

I was done (letter advising fine with a picture of my numberplate) & the location was given as "M1 at Santry". 92kph in an 80 kph zone

I don't see this one on your site. Is this a fixed camera or a mobile one ? Given the date & time I think this was on the southbound side.

banchang wrote: »
    I was done (letter advising fine with a picture of my numberplate) & the location was given as "M1 at Santry". 92kph in an 80 kph zone

I don't see this one on your site. Is this a fixed camera or a mobile one ? Given the date & time I think this was on the southbound side.

That is a notorious stretch, I always see them there lad, any clear day they are day in the white high roof transit. You know for future reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

mondeo wrote: »
    That is a notorious stretch, I always see them there lad, any clear day they are day in the white high roof transit. You know for future reference.

Tks

Is this just after the airport junction (where limit switches incredibly from 120kph to 80 kph) or closer to the Port Tunnel entrance southbound ?

banchang wrote: »
    Tks

Is this just after the airport junction (where limit switches incredibly from 120kph to 80 kph) or closer to the Port Tunnel entrance southbound ?

Ye thats itcloser to the port tunnel, they usually park just under the bridge... I was never caught there as people always warned me to slow down at the point of the 80kph sign. It's the easiest road in the country to be nailed on.
    I have my satnav warning me on it aswell.

It's really insulting getting 2 points and a fine for such a minor event but anyways pay the fine and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just got a Nuvi 760 and wouldn't mind getting some local info on, like speedtraps, but I think there was something about my Nuvi 760 coming supplied with the info?

So is mypois.ie the best place to get POI's? I don't just want speed cameras, I see they have business parks and everything too which I'd definitely use myself. 50 a year sounds steep though. I mean next year, how much of an update can I expect? I reckon 50 sign up and 5 per update or something would be better. Or even a cheaper sign up fee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

personally myself I have the xda orbit 2 with the COPILOT software and it comes with free camera locations for ireland and uk works very well in the south

Advertisement