Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All owners and users of .223 firearms!

Options
  • 25-05-2008 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

SAAMI's Unsafe Arms and Ammunition CombinationsAll owners and users of .233 firearms are urged to read the safety warnings in this link .223 Rem VS 5.56mmSAAMI proscribes the use of 5.56mm military amm­u­nition in rifles chambered for .223 Remington, as explained in the FAQ article referenced.there are small, subtle differences between the two. If you held the two cartridges side by side you'd never be able to tell. Army 5.56mm ammunition has more tolerance in the case neck diameter than the civilian SAAMI .223 Rem­ing­ton chamber drawing.

It is possible to fire .223 Remington cartridges in 5.56mm chambers. It is also possible to fire 5.56mm cartridges in .223 Remington cham­bers, but the tighter civ­il­ian chamber spec may cause certain types or lots of 5.56mm ammu­ni­tion to fit too tightly for proper function, if not safety.Additionally, SAAMI's
    Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Technical Data Sheet page states:

The .223 Remington is rated for a maximum of 50,000 CUP while the 5.56mm is rated for 60,000 CUP. That extra 10,000 CUP is likely sufficient to cause a failure in a chamber that's only rated for the "sporting" .223 Remington. The .223 Remington and the 5.56mm NATO, when checked with a chamber ream from a reliable manufacturer of each, also have discernable differences in the areas of freebore diameter, freebore length (leade) and angle of the throat.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/n...aspx?storyid=11In Rifle Chambered For .223 Do Not Use These Cartridges 5.56mm Military
    222 Remington
    30 Carbine
    Additionally, SAAMI's Unsafe Arms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This comes up every couple of years or so. I agree with not using mil ammo through hunting rifles. Others though, won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

whilst i agree with JG on this one, i wouldnt use the mill spec simply because of the degraded accuracy it offers in a 223 remington, truth be told millions of rounds of mill surp are fired in 223 remingtons every year,
    with nary a problem. when the problem does arise its normally seen to cause blown primers or maybe some leakage at the primer pocket, and
    when the suspect ammo is checked nine times out of ten it meets neither nato spec nor 223 spec-its just way off spec ammo.I was reading a post on one of the american varminting forums which said that the sammi spec for the 223 remington had been raised to 60 000 psi but cant find the evidence to substansiate it yet-sammi specs are reviewed annualy and this was a measure taken to remedy this imbalance-ie beef up the 223 to take the higher pressure- if i can substansiate it in future ill post it.

Advertisement