Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place for dinner in Ennis?

• 25-05-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

Need to take the girlfriend out next week. Anybody got any suggestions? Used to be going on work outings a few years ago and all the places I liked back then like Halpinos have changed hands a couple of times since.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Town Hall, and if you can't get in there, wait for another night :D

Seriously tho, Town Hall is fantastic, I've never had a bad meal there, if your looking for something more upmarket you can always go into the dining room of the old ground.

Heard Zukini (sp.), which was Halpino's, has a fantastic range, but I havn't been myself. I havn't been to the Loft in Knox's since the new managment took over, I never enjoyed having to thrwal through the smokers at the door after a nice meal tho.

Season's 52 is lovely as well but their waiting staff could go on a Customer Service course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

There is a new restaurant, Rogues (Merchant Square), which is supposed to be quite nice, but haven't been there myself yet.
    Zucchini is nice, too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh yeah, forgot about Rouges, really nice, still too much of a "pub" feel to it for my likings, might be something to do with all the drunken nights I spent there as a young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Hehe, one of my friends in school growing up manages Knoxes Restaurant. I'll pass on the positive feedback. :D

I'm going to the Town Hall the following week as it happens. I might give Zucchini a go in the mean time.

Would you be interested in going out of town? There's a place in Quinn that is susposed to be fantastic, the Black Oak is susposed to be good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

The Black Oak is fantastic but if you're really interested in heading out of town, Sheedy's in Lisdoonvarna or Cullinan's in Doolin are equally as good if not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Town Hall gets the vote from me for Ennis anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

That place in quin is probably The Gallery - I can second that.....very good food and service

chuckles30 wrote: »
    That place in quin is probably The Gallery - I can second that.....very good food and service
    That's the place, lovely grub there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just think, in a few months time Ennis will have its very own branch of McDonalds, one couldn't find a better place to take the family for a dinner. :)

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/mcd/publisher/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I like Julianos in the Ashford Court hotel, but for value and excellent food both at lunch and dinner you cant beat Rogues!.

I eat there once a week and always happy leaving it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

http://www.carrygerryhouse.com/

This place do some serious grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Seasons 54 above Charlies is good. They have early dinner specials (like 4 course dinners) for €20 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AC Mortgages

I think the the Scilian at the bottom of parrnell st is the best place in town. Great value great food. We had 4 people for dinner 3 coarse's with wine for about €120.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What about the Sherwood, If you get in early you can have a table all to yourselves, bring in your own candle and wine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Guys,town hall or zucchini's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Geometric_Jon

Bag of enzos finest and a few cans under the moonlight in the fair green afterwards. A delightful prospect I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

The Grove in Roslevan do really nice food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

The Ardsolus restaurant in Quin is really nice as well! Haven't been there for 2 years now but I remember the food was really good, they had a Clonakilty black pudding dish for starter:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

The Holy Well in Ennis does great good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Need to take the girlfriend out next week. Anybody got any suggestions? Used to be going on work outings a few years ago and all the places I liked back then like Halpinos have changed hands a couple of times since.

Are you going to tell us where you went and how you got on ?.
    Sorry I missed the OP, was away on holidays - I would have recommended Old Ground, it's where the in-laws always go.
    My only gripe with Old Ground would they always serve man size portions, I have never been able to finish a main course there.
    I must try some of the other places suggested here, but I suspect that hubby and in-laws wouldn't be up for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Macy 30

Rogues Bar & Restaurant is the only place to go in Ennis. The food is fab and the cocktail selection makes for a great night out. Its definitely somewhere to go if you want fine dining and great service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

I had dinner with mrs asmobhosca in Moy House in Lahinch a while back and it was amazing food and the view over lahinch bay with the sun going down was awesome...one of the best meals in the nicest setting I've had in a long time... couldnt recommend it enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Town Hall is by far the best, Zuchini's thinks it is - well going by their prices.
    Also try O Connors or Bia na Dia as they call it, some seriously good food there without the frills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Zuchini's closed down a few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

i think Rogues is on the verge of closing too, it seems to open now less hours. My mother went there last night and it was closed. Tues. night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Don't rule out Dromoland. If you can stretch the budget a bit, it's a great experience. I brought herself a few weeks back, was a bit intimidated at the thoughts of going but it was brilliant: great food, lovely surroundings.

Cost is Eur 55 per person for 4 courses, but they have a sneaky mandatory service charge on top....anyway overall cost about Eur130 for two. Worth it for a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

IMO the O'Brien room restaurant in the old ground is the nicest dining experience in Ennis, great old room with proper dining atmosphere, proper tables and chairs, and anytime I was there everything was just right, service was great, and the food was top class. even the music was suitable and just audible. I would always prefer it to the Town hall, although I do like TH for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NiamhK

maiden wrote: »
    I like Julianos in the Ashford Court hotel, but for value and excellent food both at lunch and dinner you cant beat Rogues!.

I eat there once a week and always happy leaving it!!

Oh god, avoid Julianos like the plague, I cannot tell you my utter comtempt for the place. Went there on mother's day last year with my family and we were all in awe about how good the food was, so much so that a few of us phone the following day to give praise to the chef and that's something I've never done. She was amazing but unfortunately she moved on (and if anyone can tell me to where I would be eternally grateful).

A few weeks later we decided to try the place out again having been told that the new chef had previously worked in a Michelin star restaurant, I can only assume now that he was head pot scrubber. I really pittied the waiting staff on that night because they did not look comfortable serving the dishes he put forward. I sent one dish back as it was not what I ordered; I got overcooked pan fried cod with what I can only assume was ratatouille, I ordered oven baked cod with a medly of veg and a white wine sauce. My dish was returned to me from the kitchen stating that that is how it is cooked in Italy, it's a white wine reductions. I'm blonde but no fool, I've travelled all over Europe and eaten authentic Italian cooking. By that stage in the night I had given up and was getting a good laugh out of what other people had ordered and what they actually received to the table. The pièce de résistance was the dessert which I feel out the door laughing at, I ordered authentic Italian ice-cream (I figured he couldn't mess this one up) with no fresh cream, what I got was a slice of Vienetta floating in runny cream hahaha!! I should have left after the starter, more fool me! By the way, I got charge €8.95 for that slice that I left to melt in the cream!

Maybe someone can reply to this that has been in there since then, as everyone I've spoken to personally didn't think it was still open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

NiamhK wrote: »
    Oh god, avoid Julianos like the plague, I cannot tell you my utter comtempt for the place. Went there on mother's day last year with my family and we were all in awe about how good the food was, so much so that a few of us phone the following day to give praise to the chef and that's something I've never done. She was amazing but unfortunately she moved on (and if anyone can tell me to where I would be eternally grateful).

A few weeks later we decided to try the place out again having been told that the new chef had previously worked in a Michelin star restaurant, I can only assume now that he was head pot scrubber. I really pittied the waiting staff on that night because they did not look comfortable serving the dishes he put forward. I sent one dish back as it was not what I ordered; I got overcooked pan fried cod with what I can only assume was ratatouille, I ordered oven baked cod with a medly of veg and a white wine sauce. My dish was returned to me from the kitchen stating that that is how it is cooked in Italy, it's a white wine reductions. I'm blonde but no fool, I've travelled all over Europe and eaten authentic Italian cooking. By that stage in the night I had given up and was getting a good laugh out of what other people had ordered and what they actually received to the table. The pièce de résistance was the dessert which I feel out the door laughing at, I ordered authentic Italian ice-cream (I figured he couldn't mess this one up) with no fresh cream, what I got was a slice of Vienetta floating in runny cream hahaha!! I should have left after the starter, more fool me! By the way, I got charge €8.95 for that slice that I left to melt in the cream!

Maybe someone can reply to this that has been in there since then, as everyone I've spoken to personally didn't think it was still open?

Ah, to be fair, he probably meant to serve you Wall's Romantica but only had the Vienetta left. These things happen!

Advertisement