Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about Shannon Airport Request

• 25-05-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Looking into something someone highlighted to me on a taxi forum and just wondering if any readers who use Shannon Airport can confirm or deny it.

Basicly as a hangover from the days prior to dergegulation Shannon was only realy serviced by what you would call hackneycabs, i.e prebooked, no meter and no roofsigns, one of the contributers reckons that the cars there are advertised (with a roof sign but no plate number) as Airport Cabs and that if you want a cab you have to use the airport cab desk ( recent change of title from Taxi desk ) so just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny that the cars are using roofsigns or if (and how) the desk is signposted etc.

Also Cross posted to Society/Transport Please Amend to whichever forum you feel is best

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's some weird ruling around the taxi's in there alright, there's only something like 10 taxi's servicing the whole airport, bit of a joke really.

The roofsigns I can confirm, I've no idea about the desk tho, cause I've never had to get a taxi from there but I have heard that it's next to impossible to get a cab from the rank there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

You could always ring one of the Shannon taxi/hackney firms while you're waiting for your bags to arrive.

They're allowed to pick up but they're not allowed to get in the rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Ya theres never many Taxi's around shannon airport. I have a few Shannon Hackney numbers if you want me to pm them to ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm more concerned with the bit about roof signs, any possibility of getting a photograph of one of them?

As I'm being told they look like normal taxi rooftop signs but don't have the 5 digit license number on them? Do they drive around with them on like normal taxis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They only have small signs on the roofs which say Airport Taxi, nothing more. I'll be up there tomorrow and might be able to get a snap for you.

Just out of interest, what is this for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The airport issue a limited number of permits to the airport taxis and they have a small roof sign but it is not numbered. I know this as an acquaintance of mines dad received an airport permit after waiting for years to get one. He has one now and is well happy and works as and when he feels like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

I had a feeling i read something about the taxi situation at the airport recently. Found this after a quick google

http://theclareherald.blogspot.com/2008/05/expansion-for-taxi-services-at-shannon.html

Dunno about the roof signs but il check it out when im down there again

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Might help if you contact them directly here? As said above, small sign on the cab, small plastic thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

On a side note the number of taxi's operating in Shannon Airport are to be reduced shortly :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

On a side note the number of taxi's operating in Shannon Airport are to be reduced shortly :eek:

Actualy there are NO taxis operating from Shannon Airport they are all hackneys ( as far as I can tell anyway )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you sure? There was an item in the Clare Courier that the number of permits was to be increased.

Advertisement