Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling in AH

Options
  • 25-05-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Why is trolling allowed to carry on for so long in so many threads on AH? This thread being the latest example.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

But the mods are all fairly active in that thread. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Trolling isn't black and white. Some things that you consider trolling someone else may not. Anywho I think you may have missed this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56039187&postcount=146

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I didn't miss that post. The thread was left to drag on to piss off so many people that eventually someone posted some personal abuse and got banned. Only other response I remember from the mod was warning about backseat modding from normal posters. A warning at that stage about trolling would've stopped them trolling and others joining in the trolling and prevented someone from getting banned. Mods from other forums were trolling there too.

So what's the story? Trolling allowed unless the mods are offended or until someone over reacts and gets banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Did you report the posts in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why do you whine so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    I didn't miss that post. The thread was left to drag on to piss off so many people that eventually someone posted some personal abuse and got banned. Only other response I remember from the mod was warning about backseat modding from normal posters. A warning at that stage about trolling would've stopped them trolling and others joining in the trolling and prevented someone from getting banned.
    There's a much wider berth offered in After Hours since it's a humorous forum. Plus, the posts are flying up thick and fast and it's impossible to keep track of them all the time. It's nearly always moderated by at least one person but not always.
    Mods from other forums were trolling there too.
    Moderators, when not on their own forum, are users like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I was away 'til Thursday. I have been tired and busy until today. It is being dealt with now. Still, don't let that get in the way of 'good Feedback'.

I didn't miss that post. The thread was left to drag on to piss off so many people that eventually someone posted some personal abuse and got banned. Only other response I remember from the mod was warning about backseat modding from normal posters. A warning at that stage about trolling would've stopped them trolling and others joining in the trolling and prevented someone from getting banned. Mods from other forums were trolling there too.
    I had a word with one or two other posts, but not in public. However, I didn't have words at that point with everyone you probably think I should have. It's a touchy subject, there were reported posts, some of which were kneejerk (over)reactions. Some of the posts were tongue-in-cheek, but not obvious enough for certain people to grasp.

Other moderators?! NO WAI!!!1! They're known as users in every other forum. Sorry, I got control of my senses, where were we? oh, yes: Us -v- them! rabble! Go fetch some tyres!

Oh, and you said "so many threads", link to more plskthx.
    So what's the story? Trolling allowed unless the mods are offended or until someone over reacts and gets banned?
    So what's the story? Am I to ban everyone who holds an opposing view on the basis that it might be trolling, so "normal users" don't have to use their brains and either ignore the other user, calmly and logically argue their post, or report repeatedly obvious and malicious trolls?
    I don't speak for the other moderators, but yes. I think trolling is tolerable as long as it's not malicious, repeated, or otherwise gets out of hand.

rb wrote:
    Did you report the posts in question?
    No but if mods were responding in the middle of the thread already about backseat modding then they could've warned people about trolling. If people are not aware of the report post option and just complain on the thread then the thread is always left to stew?
    Dudess wrote:
    Moderators, when not on their own forum, are users like everyone else.
    Yeah fair enough. I was just expecting a bit of maturity from mods. I am sure they don't like trolls in their forums.
    kold wrote:
    Why do you whine so much?
    Why are you such a waste of space and don't post anything constructive?

Omg personal abuse.

Maybe if you took my comment seriously as it was intended we could find out why you whine so much. AH is not a serious forum. There are serious forums, go to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

No but if mods were responding in the middle of the thread already about backseat modding then they could've warned people about trolling. If people are not aware of the report post option and just complain on the thread then the thread is always left to stew?
    not really a good excuse, ya dot like the responses, press the report post button, just remember, its for trolling,spam etc etc, not for use if you just oppose a certain view.
    Yeah fair enough. I was just expecting a bit of maturity from mods. I am sure they don't like trolls in their forums.
    users when outside their forums also, sometimes its hard to determine who is trolling and who is debating.
    now youre trolling?or is it just a disagreement?

Nerin wrote: »
    now youre trolling?or is it just a disagreement?
    He called me a whiner so why should I be polite? At least I asked for something constructive from him.

He called me a whiner so why should I be polite? At least I asked for something constructive from him.
    ummm yeah ok. in fairness, whining is a description of what you were doing, waste of space on the other hand is personal abuse.
    easy now ;)

Bloody 2002 reg's! Nothin' but trouble!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Karoma wrote: »

Yeah! Rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah who do they think they are?

Karoma, fair enough for not being able to be there all the time and the private messages to some of the people participating in the that thread. I am just making a point that the thread probably didn't have to deteriorate into personal abuse and I have seen similar scenarios before on AH. Obvious I was exaggerating when I said "so many threads".

Well, point made so I am going to stop posting here now in fear of being called a whiner and have to explain why I whine so much.

Karoma, fair enough for not being able to be there all the time and the private messages to some of the people participating in the that thread. I am just making a point that the thread probably didn't have to deteriorate into personal abuse and I have seen similar scenarios before on AH. Obvious I was exaggerating when I said "so many threads".

Well, point made so I am going to stop posting here now in fear of being called a whiner and have to explain why I whine so much.
    i can understand your point of view, as i shared a similar point of view over an after hours thread recently.
    just when doing feedback,its easy to do it wrong and then people just wont listen and will "cat the fook" outta the thread.

I've been here since quake.ie days in 1994/1995 with different names. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yep. Worse then the Jews.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Yep. Worse then the Jews.

What? Gays?

Next topic: Why is so much trolling allowed in Feedback for so long?! WHY?! WHYYYYYYYY?!

What? Gays?

Next topic: Why is so much trolling allowed in Feedback for so long?! WHY?! WHYYYYYYYY?!

No, the disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I am just making a point that the thread probably didn't have to deteriorate into personal abuse and I have seen similar scenarios before on AH.

hmmm. let me get this right.

you think the mods are responsible for what users write?

do you think we sit behind people when they type, and tell them what they should say?

the actual truth is that we dont.

do you know what that means?

it means we feel that the users are responsible for what they type. yep. believe it or not, i feel that is someone gets abusive, then its actually their own fault!!!

not the fault of the moderators.

believe it or not, we still believe that users own their own words.

as for this trolling, im not going to read through pages to see what you are talking about, so its a much better idea if you actually pin point what youre talking about.

however, just to give you the right of reply, id rather hear your suggestions as to how to fix this terirble trolling, rather than just whining about it.

i listen to helpful critisism, not moaning and pissing.
    codemonkey wrote:

I've been here since quake.ie days in 1994/1995 with different names.

really?

what names did you use back then?

by the way, did you know that quake was released in 1996, so your time line is a bit out, which would make you either stupid or a liar.

which are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

If you were banned from boards from the quake days would than ban follow through to re-regs nowadays?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Phaetonman wrote: »
    If you were banned from boards from the quake days would than ban follow through to re-regs nowadays?

You reckon Polmki is still lurking?

you think the mods are responsible for what users write?
    Quit putting words in my mouth.
    however, just to give you the right of reply, id rather hear your suggestions as to how to fix this terirble trolling, rather than just whining about it.
    I dunno, a little less tolerance towards trolling on AH like other forums on boards? The relaxed policy towards it seems to encourage it. Even after the 1st guy got banned and karoma said get back on topic, the trolling continued a short while later and got worse until a second guy got abusive and then banned.
    i listen to helpful critisism, not moaning and pissing.
    Jesus, you own the feedback forum or something? Sorry for posting some "feedback".
    by the way, did you know that quake was released in 1996, so your time line is a bit out, which would make you either stupid or a liar.

which are you?
    I guess I am a little stupid for not double checking when my old account was registered. Does my incorrect reply to that irrelavant comment from karoma warrant any more of your precious time?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Quit putting words in my mouth.

its a question, not a statement, so im hardly putting words in anyones mouth.
    however, you didnt answer the question.

is that on purpose? are you trying to deflect away from what i am asking?
    I dunno, a little less tolerance towards trolling on AH like other forums on boards? The relaxed policy towards it seems to encourage it. Even after the 1st guy got banned and karoma said get back on topic, the trolling continued a short while later and got worse until a second guy got abusive and then banned.

youre basing this on a single incident?
    surely since youve been around since before quake, youd know a lot of the back story to AH.
    but seriously, someone was trolling and someone got banned for being stupid.

gosh, coz that doesnt happen on every forum in the world on a daily basis.

Jesus, you own the feedback forum or something? Sorry for posting some "feedback".

not at all. are you trying to deflect again by trying to make me the target now?
    but the thing is, you didnt post feedback. constructive critisism is feedback. criticism is just moaning.
    see the differnce?

I guess I am a little stupid for not double checking when my old account was registered. Does my incorrect reply to that irrelavant comment from karoma warrant any more of your precious time?

no, but you need to give me something more than a simple link to a thread and a single line as 'feedback'
    if you want me to do something, then give me a solution, becuase im hard pushed to find something that works better than what happens right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Just because it's a question doesn't mean it can't be seen as putting words in his mouth. There was a definate implication there in your words.

Also, I think CodeMonkey was right when he said it didn't have to fall into personal abuse. A quick one line warning would've kept it decent. It's like a ref brandishing a few early yellows to keep people on thier toes.
    I mean, you can't say it's not a pain in the arse when you're reading a thread you're intrested in or that has the potential to be well debated and some feckin' eejit wanders in taking the topic off course, bringing it to childish insults. The Creationism debate wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if the mods were as laid back there.

Just give people a warning. Yeah, they can be OTT and have different views on the matter, but the charter and rules should be followed. No personal insults. It's just childish.

its a question, not a statement, so im hardly putting words in anyones mouth.
    however, you didnt answer the question.

is that on purpose? are you trying to deflect away from what i am asking?
    I think it's quite obvious that I don't think the mods are responsible for what people say. I am questioning why the rules are so lax regarding trolling on AH compared to other forums on boards.
    youre basing this on a single incident?
    No but if I posted a "feedback" thread everytime I see this carry on then I really would be moaning.
    but seriously, someone was trolling and someone got banned for being stupid.
    Let me summarise again for you, someone was trolling, someone got banned for being stupid. The trolling continued and even a mod from other forums joined in. Someone else got stupid and got banned. That's hardly the typical scenario you see all the time and the 2nd banning at least couldn't been prevented. Karoma did the right thing in the end but I thought he/she could've done it sooner after the first banning.
    surely since youve been around since before quake, youd know a lot of the back story to AH.

not at all. are you trying to deflect again by trying to make me the target now?
    Does bringing up that mistake somehow makes my points less valid? Target of what exactly? You think I am attacking karoma or something? Is that why you are so defensive after reading my criticism?
    but the thing is, you didnt post feedback. constructive critisism is feedback. criticism is just moaning.
    see the differnce?
    You're being a little pedantic here I think.
    no, but you need to give me something more than a simple link to a thread and a single line as 'feedback'
    if you want me to do something, then give me a solution, becuase im hard pushed to find something that works better than what happens right now.
    I am not deflecting or making you my "target" here but you make it sound like you are solely responsible for the site or something and you are getting way too defensive about my criticism. Or maybe you just don't like me because I am a liar or stupid and a moaner to boot.

• Advertisement

I think some trolls are quite hilarious.

Advertisement