Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling software

• 25-05-2008 4:40pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

am about to do an upgrade to my media pc.
    so, if I have a used xp mce dvd with license - can I sell it.
    Can the unique key be used again on another machine ?

Thx

K

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from comp & tech. If the version of windows is an oem version then it is tied to the motherboard and it can not be used on another pc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

It was bought as a separate disc from Komplett when building the media pc.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

When did you buy it and how much was it?
    That way we can determine whether it is a full version or a OEM version.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

karltimber wrote: »
    It was bought as a separate disc from Komplett when building the media pc.
    Irrelevant.

If it was OEM it can't be resold separate from the motherboard it was first installed on.

What does the COA say ? (green sticker / license sheet)

looks like its OEM - which I take cannot be resold ?
    why not - just curious.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=315135

thx

karl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It can't be sold because that's what microsoft say,

it's only a license to use the software subject to any and all conditions microsoft decide. It doesn't fall under the supply of goods / services act and doesn't have to be of merchantable quality etc.

look on the bright side other companies have issued limited life licenses eg: CP/M was 12 years so even if you had an old machine you couldn't use it now !

it's cheaper because of restrictions like this and because microsoft dont' support it

I am upgrading my media pc - so can i sell the sofware with the motherboard ?

thx for the replies
    k

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

karltimber wrote: »
    I am upgrading my media pc - so can i sell the sofware with the motherboard ?

thx for the replies
    k
    That should be ok, although the key is tied to that mobo so it must be used on that mobo buy the buyer

Nick

Advertisement