Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of PC Piracy ?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

came across this on the escapist, is this the end of piracy ?

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell says a new chip puts computer piracy on the verge of being eradicated.

Speaking at a conference hosted by Wedbush Morgan Securities, Bushnell said a motherboard chip on computers currently in production will wipe out piracy and thus boost sales in Asia and India.

"There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now," he said.

"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem," he continued.

Bushnell said there was no stopping film piracy because they could simply be recorded and copied. Games, he added, "are a different thing, because games are so integrated with the code. The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hah
    someone, somewhere will find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I think it would be great if it's true, though I buy all my games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Uncrackable? Blu Ray anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

hah
    It's a global effort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

MooseJam wrote: »
    because games are so integrated with the code

that's your answer right there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay."

They should rename it the titanic.

So what happens if you install an encrypted game on a motherboard without one? Does the game not work? That would be a bad idea for a games company to require this tpm chip if their game doesn't work without it. The chip would have to be on every computer released over the past few years other wise they could rule out a lot of their customers.

If the game will work without the tpm chip then why would any mobo manufacturer put one on their motherboard (increased costs that gives no benefit)?

Also do you have a link for the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

New? They've been talking about this since 2002 at least. Palladium, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

india/pak 50 euro game = approx 4k ruppies.

you can get a motorbike there for 10k, on top of that average salary per year is less than 40k. [RS. not euros]

anyway theyll just have custom build pc's or buy motherboards without tcm
    or someone will make a 'MODCHIP'

OR run iso images after a tcm user rips it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

the more they hype this up as "unlockable/unhackable"

the armies of hackers/coders are licking their lips at a shot at this, and will be eventually cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The problem with all methods of encryption is the decryption part. Simply reading the data on the chip during the game would present the decryption key. Its the exact same problem that has led to the fall of un-hackable blue-ray.

Encryption only works if you don't give them access to the key, for eg, a hard-drive encrypted and turned off. To access the password/key you need to already know it.

If the hard-drive is on and decrypting on the fly then the key is available already to examine and use at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Could Nolan Bushnell be associated with some company offering DRM based on the TMPs going onto motherboards by chance?

The only way this could prevent piracy in all cases is if every developer from now 'till games stop selling start using an anti piracy solution built around the chips, and that would probably alienate most of us here, and most gamers in most places. Or they could build in some kind of legacy system that does the verification somewhere outside the chip, and that quickly lead to a situation like what Cuddlesworth mentioned. And of course the devices would have to be perfect.
    The problem with all methods of encryption is the decryption part. Simply reading the data on the chip during the game would present the decryption key. Its the exact same problem that has led to the fall of un-hackable blue-ray.

Chances are the device would be well shielded enough to prevent just reading the key from the chip, or else this is as much bull**** at gusto as the blu ray DRM scheme (which was only considered secure through it's convaluted nature, rather than being cryptographically solid). The blu ray DRM was cracked by statistical analysis of a certain part of the verification process from what I know, and that revealed a single key that's present on every single disk that uses the scheme. That's what I gather from it anyway, I could be wrong...

I can't think of how they'd plan on implementing this, the likes of the windows drive encryption uses cryptographic functions of the TPM, but I don't think they use the key that's on the device. Unless it's a big public key cryptography system, which would mean signing something when the game is started, phoning home to some big central sever and getting it verified, which would be far too costly to justify just to stop pc gaming piracy.

Anyway, I'm rambling, I think someone's trying to make some noise, rather than making an actual point, kind of like how that drunk at the end of the table will make some indecipherable noise every once in a while when nobody's paying any attention to him...

And if this somehow happen, and it is as intrusive as it could be, and it prevents me from giving a game to my friend to try it out, or just putting it on a second PC so I can play it in a different room, I'm just not going to buy games that use this kind of DRM. Simple solution.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That's a complete joke. I suspect people will simply reject any PC's with this chip included. In any event - it sounds as though this is aimed squarely at China.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ Unlikely. TPM chips have been around for a good while now. Its quite possible you already have one, especially if you've got a laptop.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Stephen wrote: »
    ^^ Unlikely. TPM chips have been around for a good while now. Its quite possible you already have one, especially if you've got a laptop.

In that case, I for one, welcome our new TPM chip overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

"..which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem"

Yeah whatever... if this didn't seem like marketing BS from the start then that confirms it - it should be clear to a 2 year old that you can't assume that a copyright infringement = a lost sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Peanut wrote: »
    "..which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem"

Yeah whatever... if this didn't seem like marketing BS from the start then that confirms it - it should be clear to a 2 year old that you can't assume that a copyright infringement = a lost sale.
    Especially not in the regions they're talking about. If anyone thinks that the game-playing population of places like Russia, China and Korea are going to rush out and buy all the latest games at full price each month if they can't pirate them, they are massively delusional. If they really think this will work, I hope they're happy only selling to a minority of net cafes and gold-farming outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

which is uncrackable by people on the internet

I love reading that line. read it 3 times and laughed every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

If it did work it'd mean cheaper games/software. Which is great if you actually pay for your software.

Otherwise its terrible news.

If it works.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I love reading that line. read it 3 times and laughed every time.

If you actually did that - if that's actually what happened - then I'm afraid you are a deeply weird person ;)

• Advertisement

If it did work it'd mean cheaper games/software. Which is great if you actually pay for your software.

Otherwise its terrible news.

If it works.

You assume that software publishers are actually honest in that way and would "pass on" the extra revenue by reducing prices.

By that logic, they would have already passed on savings made by digital distribution, since there's no discs, mastering, packaging, distribution costs, wholesaler cuts, retail cuts etc.

In many cases, the digital version is more expensive that the retail counterpart.

Its hard to have sympathy with these companies a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

What would happen if your machine went tits-up and you needed to get a new one? Would you not be able to play games you had to re-install on the new machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Maximilian wrote: »
    You assume that software publishers are actually honest in that way and would "pass on" the extra revenue by reducing prices.

By that logic, they would have already passed on savings made by digital distribution, since there's no discs, mastering, packaging, distribution costs, wholesaler cuts, retail cuts etc.

In many cases, the digital version is more expensive that the retail counterpart.

Its hard to have sympathy with these companies a lot of the time.

We probably wouldn't see the benefits in the short term, no.

I was thinking nore so in the long run. Economic theory would suggest that eventually these savings would get passed on to us as a reduction in piracy would be equivalent to a reduction in costs.

We probably wouldn't see the benefits in the short term, no.

I was thinking nore so in the long run. Economic theory would suggest that eventually these savings would get passed on to us as a reduction in piracy would be equivalent to a reduction in costs.

You would hope so but companies don't give a crap if they can gouge more money out of people. Markets don't always work according to theory. Good case for some Competition Authority to examine if you ask me.

Another reason for the pricing is there would be open war if the publishers tried to significantly undercut retailers by selling games online themselves. No doubt that consumers are being screwed however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hah

Got that right.

This is almost as laughable as that Intel motherboard that supposedly stops cheating by monitoring user input etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

MACs had a chip which would allow the os only to be installed on a mac with that chip, but they bypassed that so now you can install it on pc hardware.

someone would crack it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

There will be a lot of angry pirates out there! But they will find a way around this nonsense....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    There will be a lot of angry pirates out there! But they will find a way around this nonsense....:mad:

Why exactly is it nonsense?

Personally, I hope it works. I'm doubtful that it will in the long run but piracy is slowing down an industry I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Maximilian wrote: »
    If you actually did that - if that's actually what happened - then I'm afraid you are a deeply weird person ;)

I never pretended to be any other way! in fact i shall take it as a compliment!

• Advertisement

Why exactly is it nonsense?

Personally, I hope it works. I'm doubtful that it will in the long run but piracy is slowing down an industry I love.

+1

Advertisement