Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix mars lander tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I thought it was at 22.00 GMT that NASA coverage started. Strange there's not more interest in this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Wait, you have it wrong: The correct time for landing is 00:53 (i.e. early Monday morning). The reason being is that we are currently GMT+1 (and not GMT) due to daylight savings.

Look here: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/

Thus, also, NASA TV will beging at 23:30 our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Currently just under 2hrs from now according to the real time clock on the NASA site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

okay sorry about errors with time, coverage has started now, i doubt we'll see much just the guys at the control center, and the delay is 15mins anyway.

they say they might be able to get images of the descent from other satillite in orbit, that'd be cool ,but i doubt its live.

I have NASA TV on in the background at the moment. As far as I am aware, there will be no images taken during landing (they're afraid that the image-taking could take power for other critical systems) and that images will only be taken once it has safely landed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

okay sorry about errors with time, coverage has started now, i doubt we'll see much just the guys at the control center, and the delay is 15mins anyway.

they say they might be able to get images of the descent from other satillite in orbit, that'd be cool ,but i doubt its live.
    Well given the vast distances involved, and the fact that afaik we've yet to figure out how to send data faster than the speed of light, the time delay's hardly suprising, is it? ;)

Looks like it's landed safely. Well done to those guys who programmed all of that landing sequence... ...I sure as well wouldn't like to have done all the math myself!

so it worked it landed safely*, much whoopping from the americans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Good to see it landed ok :)

Watching the guys on Nasa TV is fascinating, the tension in the air is almost physically manifest seeing them tapping fingers nervously on a partition before getting confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They got lucky with the landing site, they got it at just 1/4 of a degree of a tilt. I was almost expecting it to hit a big rock.

• Advertisement

And with no data stream loss during entry either. Looks like they built her well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Do us a favour lads and try keep us up to date with the happenings. Connection here sucks so I ain't even gonna try to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Awaiting solar array deployment and 90mins for the first pics to come in if all goes well with the array.

well they say they'll get an image in an hour and a half don't know if we'll get to see it then too.

well they say they'll get an image in an hour and a half don't know if we'll get to see it then too.

According to the NASA site:
    If all goes well, live television feed from control room may show first images as they are received.
    so hopefully that means they won't hold the photos back from the media feed *crosses fingers* I can't wait!

he said 'pucker factor' he's doing an alex ferguson 'squeeky bum' moment.

still getting lots of media mixup between water and liquid.

Seems NASA tv's now going offline until 0230, so if you're waiting for updates it'll be quiet until then.

*edit* 'my bad - there's still a camera running in the control room, but the commentary's off, in fact there doesn't appear to be any sound at all. So unless people start sticking interesting notes in front of the camera, it's just watching a silent movie of folks in blue shirts wandering around and looking at computers.

yeah i wondering why it'd gone quiet, they usually leave the sound on,ETA oh sounds is back now

I'm getting some sound now - think they only have some mics on.

images of mars, only in black and white though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

They just got the first images back, solar arrays deployed and pics of the landing feet and mars horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Strange object, where the ground meets the horizon (to the right) of this photo:

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_386.jpg

Nasa acknowledged that they saw it but they said they wouldn't speculate on what it was yet. There's a press conference at 2PM EDT today, hopefully they will shed more light on it.

It was suggested that it may be a polar bear :D

ah they did take pics from the other satellite of it landing

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/05_26_pr.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Two additional must-see pictures from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's high-resolution camera show the entire scene around the landing site, including the lander, the discarded heat shield, backshell and parachute.

The color image was taken Monday, about 22 hours after landing. The parachute and lander are about 300 meters, roughly 1,000 feet, apart.

The other photo is stunning. It shows Phoenix as it was descending on the parachute Sunday evening with a huge crater in the background.

"Phoenix appears to be descending into the 10 kilometer, or 6-mile, crater, but is actually 20 kilometers, or about 12 miles, in front of the crater," says the camera's principal investigator, Alfred McEwen of the University of Arizona, Tucson.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/images/080527descenthardware.jpg

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/images/080527crater.jpg

www.spaceflightnow.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

They may have found ice just under the surface at the depths they were expecting. The mission seems to be going along very smoothly at the moment.

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn14044-phoenix-digs-up-possible-ice-on-mars.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news7_head_dn14044

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

NASA have a great video of the landing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Theo

thanks for that vid, it was brilliant. well done to the lads who made that project a success

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ah the digger has hit a hard white layer. Could be ice or salt or anything.

story and cool picture

• Advertisement
Advertisement