Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chemical engineering masters

• 25-05-2008 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

is it doable after a bachelor in chemical science or biochemistry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

The first thing you need to do is contact the head of the department at the college you want to apply to. If possible ask to arrange a meeting to discuss the course with him. If it is possible to get in like this the chances are you'll be interviewed anyway. At least arranging a meeting before the application deadline shows initiative on your part which could work in your favour later on.

Research the course. Why do you want to do it? Are you aware of what the course involves? Have a brief folder of notes/research to bring with you. At least if your undergrad isn't ideally suited hopefully the above would give your application a little extra weighting. All the best with it. Let us know how you get on :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

i havent even started college yet :P just wanted to know if i could do it because i wont be able for higher level maths for leaving cert and so cant do any engineering subject, i was thinking if i could do it if i do chemical sciences or biochemistry or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I must have misread your post. I thought you already had one of those undergrad degrees. Honestly, I wouldn't rate your chances of getting the masters with either of those undergrads. Biochemistry is much more of a life science studying organic matter. Chemical engineering is more industry focused i.e not a life science. It also involves a high level of maths. If you don't meet the maths requirement for the undergrad degree there is simply no way they will allow you on to a higher degree course where the level of maths is higher again. Besides if you don't enjoy biochem in its own right stay away from it.
    1. You can still email the college faculty to see what they look for in masters candidates.
    2. You could consider an IT qualification in engineering (ITs have a ladder system so you can start with a cert and work towards honours degree level).
    3. There might be a way to repeat a single subject in LC i.e honours maths next summer and get in that way.
    All the best with it.

Advertisement