Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea - Grant + Rijkaard = Messi?

• 25-05-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Oh please god yes. Best player in the world at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I doubt even Rijkaard come to Chelsea that will have anything with Messi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

armour87 wrote: »

Not a chance Messi will sign for Chelski. Why would he leave one of biggest clubs in the world for a small london club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I know the chances are slim of Messi coming, but definetly not of Rijkaard. Ten Cate has worked with him before.

I can recall a few Barca players saying negative things about Chelsea and their football when we played them in the CL but there is always a chance.

edit: small London club? Your funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not a chance Messi will sign for Chelski. Why would he leave one of biggest clubs in the world for a small london club?

money-euro-greece.jpg

Unlikley but a bid of 100 odd million would be considered, barca need the wonga.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

edit: small London club? Your funny.

I'd put Arsenal & Tottenham ahead of chelsea, still you can dream :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Take Rijkaard and be happy with that alright... Barca already made enough mistakes letting go of Ronaldo and Figo, it won't happen again... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

2+2=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It would be a messy situation if Rijkaard gets the job alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I'd put Arsenal & Tottenham ahead of chelsea, still you can dream :rolleyes:
    Chelsea will just continue being the better team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What is Messi's release clause actually?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

42 goals? Premier league and CL double?

You mean 2nd best player? It's funny how Chelsea have trouble with the word 2nd??? That's surprising :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Messi - another brilliant youngster who would be crushed by Romans messing about.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bubs101 wrote: »

just did a quick check there and found this

The 19-year-old Argentine sensation is under contract to Barcelona until 2011 and has a release clause of over £100m in his deal but is thought to be unhappy with his current wages.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=160250

Sounds about right anyway, if even maybe too low. The massive clubs major superstars have ridiculous clauses as the clubs have no intentions of them being met, but by law they have to include them in Spain (i think!) so just make them astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's over £100m

mike65 wrote: »
    Messi - another brilliant youngster who would be crushed by Romans messing about.

Mike.
    +1 on that one Mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

How can chelsea be linked with such top names when they dont even have a manager yet. surely the new man will want to get the right players and not just superstars. Anyway, Barcelona have invested too much in messi already, he is one player they will never let go simply for money, it will only be if Messi feels that he is no longer welcome. Not every player is a mercenary.

Also, why would he sign for a club that treats its managers so badly, each year a new coach. They are as bad as Shinawatra at man City.

Roman Abramovich's dream team;

Kaka

--Alves
    Xavi
    Fabregas---Ronaldo--

Robinho

--Messi
    Toni
    Torres----Villa

Etoo

Bench: Sneijder, Aguero, Adebayor, Robben

It'll happen lads, and it'll only cost him a billion or so....

eZe^ wrote: »

Kaka

--Alves
    Xavi
    Fabregas---Ronaldo--

Robinho

--Messi
    Toni
    Torres----Villa

Etoo

Where's the attacking presence there?!:confused:

kmart6 wrote: »
    Where's the attacking presence there?!:confused:

Em, they could bring Buffon up from the B team?

They are as bad as Shinawatra at man City.

Where's Xavi?!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Was it your man Tate that Graham Hunter said Riijard and him didn't like each other? Anyway Chelsea don't deserve a great player like Messi the way they do business.

Typical. Another Chelsea based transfer speculation thread turns into Abramobashing as usual.

I was merely making the assumption / hoping that in the likely event Frank Rijkaard takes the Chelsea job, one of his star players (and my personal favourite) will follow suit.

@ those who think Spurs are a bigger club than Chelsea, what are you basing that on? I base it on success, and notably recent success. Chelsea have finished in the top 2 5 years in a row. In 2005 we set the records for most points, fewest conceded, most clean sheets and most victories all in one season.

We have set the standard for results in the Champions league.

That's all Ive got in me for now.

themont85 wrote: »
    Was it your man Tate that Graham Hunter said Riijard and him didn't like each other? Anyway Chelsea don't deserve a great player like Messi the way they do business.

Would you say the same for Zidane and Madrid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kaka

--Alves
    Xavi
    Fabregas---Ronaldo--

Robinho

--Messi
    Toni
    Torres----Villa

Etoo

i played Eto'o in goal once in FM. it didn't go very well. i think he might be better off looking elsewhere.

isn't there a Chelsea discussion thread for all this crap?

themont85 wrote: »

Tate? Do you mean Ten Cates? Why would they not like each other, together they won 2 league titles and a CL?

i played Eto'o in goal once in FM. it didn't go very well. i think he might be better off looking elsewhere.

isn't there a Chelsea discussion thread for all this crap?

Its Kaka in goal, Etoo's up front... =P

Its Kaka in goal, Etoo's up front... =P

godammit, i hate symmetry

godammit, i hate symmetry

How bout we keep that exact shape for both halves, so Etoo plays up front for 45 mins, and then plays in goal for the other 45... That way our nice symmetry is put to use...

Better yet, 4-4-2, With Torres----Etoo up front for 45 mins, then we can have 2 goal keepers for the 2nd 45... That way, we score in the first half, and then make it impossible to concede in the 2nd... I should be a bloody manager! Winning formula or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe if Abramovich gives Rijkaard 100 million or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Kaka

--Alves
    Xavi
    Fabregas---Ronaldo--

Robinho

--Messi
    Toni
    Torres----Villa

Etoo

Cool. This team won't have to turn around after half time either.

• Advertisement

lol eze, in all seriousness from what i can make out Rijkaard isn't a great manager. his success came largely from his back room staff and unbelievable squad. he has one system and he plays it, if it doesn't work he's out of ideas. i would have rather held onto Grant than take Rijkaard, at least he seems a more versatile manager, and i'd be surprised if the warlords at CFC didn't feel similar. they must have something up their sleeve surely to get rid of Grant. i know it's Chelsea and all, but i don't think Kenyon and co. are as stupid as people make them out to be.

I don't know, Grant is a nice enough man and all, but I don't know if he'll be up there with Rijkaard(when Rijkaard is in a particular managerial set up)... Rijkaard is a top quality manager when along side an assistant who is the hard as nails no bullshi* man... If he joins chelsea, I think along with Ten Cates, they can form a partnership thats better than Grant and can maybe rival Mourinho...

The problems that they'll encounter are, the fact that Abramovich wants attractive free flowing football, when the philosophy of this current squad is hard grit winners... Barca have always had a philosophy of patient build ups, since the clubs foundation, and seeing as they are more flair orientated league, it'll be tough for Rijkaard to change an entire ethos without making radical radical changes...

Then, the next point, if Rijkaard is to do it, he'll need to get rid of nearly an entire starting 11 of winners, will Abramovich be happy just to give money to Rijkaard to build a squad he wants to build? I doubt it, if Abramovich is to fork out another 200 million on a new squad, he's going to want his uneducated input to be heard, therefore implementing what is basically a less intelligent 'Galactico' era. (I say less intelligent because Perez signed Galacticos not just in the hope of sexy football, but also with the fact that the players he bought were so so marketable, it seems that Abramovichs main aim is to stroke his own ego by making Chelsea play a brand of 'continental' football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lol! If messi signed for chelsea I would eat my hat and the hats of all other hat-wearers. Not a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've got one of these hats:

otto_von_bismarck.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We have set the standard for results in the Champions league.

Never having won it and one final reached isn't much of a standard to have set.

Fair point but don't you think their progression in the last five years deserves respect and can only really be rivalled by Liverpool and Milan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kaka

--Alves
    Xavi
    Fabregas---Ronaldo--

Robinho

--Messi
    Toni
    Torres----Villa

Etoo

Maybe. But where does the manager fit in Shevchenko?

I don't know, Grant is a nice enough man and all, but I don't know if he'll be up there with Rijkaard(when Rijkaard is in a particular managerial set up)... Rijkaard is a top quality manager when along side an assistant who is the hard as nails no bullshi* man... If he joins chelsea, I think along with Ten Cates, they can form a partnership thats better than Grant and can maybe rival Mourinho...

6 to 1, half dozen to the other in my book. Any manager could look good in a good set up, i think that argument is kind of moot. Would Rijkaard have been able to turn around a dismal season like Grant did? even though Grant didn't win anything, considering the boots he had to fill, and the divas he had to work, with he did remarkably well. i think they are on the same level tbh, good managers but not fantastic. In regards Rijkaard, what Chelsea should be looking at is his failure to basically rebuild the squad when the time came. because it's a rebuilding job that's needed. I think he'd struggle tbh.

dfx- wrote: »
    Maybe. But where does the manager fit in Shevchenko?
    4th sub in the reserves:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair point but don't you think their progression in the last five years deserves respect and can only really be rivalled by Liverpool and Milan

Well No. Porto, Barca and Man Utd won the competition between those 5 years to

It was like the time people made out Man Utd getting to 8 quarter finals in a row was an amazing achievement. Well they only won it once in those 8 years so wasn't really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Chelsea fans should enjoy the process and make the most of it. Billions at your disposal, prospect of new blood coming in, new manager. Ranieri was sacked, Mourinho did better, then Mourinho was let go, Grant did better (sort of). Whoever is going to take the hot seat is going to be world class without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Deserves respect yes to a point but to say they are the standard bearers in
    Europe is laughable to say the least considering they have never won it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IrishMike wrote: »
    Deserves respect yes to a point but to say they are the standard bearers in
    Europe is laughable to say the least considering they have never won it!

Liverpool getting to two finals and a semi-final is a lot more note worthy then what chelsea have acheived, given that Liverpool haven't spent anywhere near as much on their squad. Chelsea have under-performed given the amount of money spent and the players they have at their disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

United finished bottom of their group 3 years ago, the same season Chelsea went on to win their second league.
    United have since won the league twice and are European Champions.

As for respect for Chelsea? Are you kidding? They bought success, pure and simple.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

davyjose wrote: »

As for respect for Chelsea? Are you kidding? They bought success, pure and simple.

In this day and age big money is part of success.

It can very easily be aragued that man u have bought success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    In this day and age big money is part of success.

It can very easily be aragued that man u have bought success.
    The argument amounts to degrees of buying - spending within your means, spending funded by the club rather than an Oil Company. A nice pissing contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Chelsea definitely deserve no respect as a football club. Considering the amount they've spent over such a short period of time I'd actually consider what they've done a failure. In sporting terms, I really wouldn't consider Abramovich to be a very intelligent man. I do hope they get Riijkaard because if he is unable to win anything for 2 years with the quality of player he had at Barcelona, then I can't see how he has a hope in competing with United.

I totally agree that Abramovich is an impatient buffoon but Uniteds spending is not a million miles away from ours.

My results in Europe comment was more of a consistency in Europe. We were very nearly in 4 of the last 5 finals sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I totally agree that Abramovich is an impatient buffoon but Uniteds spending is not a million miles away from ours.

My results in Europe comment was more of a consistency in Europe. We were very nearly in 4 of the last 5 finals sure?

As were Liverpool
    Difference is Liverpool actually made it to 2 of them and won one of them.
    Chelsea would be lucky to be considered in the top 5 most consistent teams
    in Europe when compared the Barca, Liverpool, United, Ac etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chelsea won't be getting Messi. There is no chance that will ever happen. Messi will be at Barca for years to come.

Even if Riijkard was to become the manager, can't see why Messi wouldgo to a team who's mindset for the pas few seasons is to win one nil or two nil. Not to open out and go for more.

IrishMike wrote: »
    As were Liverpool
    Difference is Liverpool actually made it to 2 of them and won one of them.
    Chelsea would be lucky to be considered in the top 5 most consistent teams
    in Europe when compared the Barca, Liverpool, United, Ac etc.

etc... & Chelsea?
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Chelsea won't be getting Messi. There is no chance that will ever happen. Messi will be at Barca for years to come.

Even if Riijkard was to become the manager, can't see why Messi wouldgo to a team who's mindset for the pas few seasons is to win one nil or two nil. Not to open out and go for more.

And look where that's got Barca in the past 2 seasons. 18 points behind league leaders Madrid who aren't that special at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement