Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 Wireless Adaptor Problem - Help Needed

• 25-05-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Bought a wireless adaptop today so I could move the 360 downsatirs as a media centre extender.

However when I plug in the adaptor, the 360 will not detect that the wireless adaptor is connected. It was previously connected to the home network using the ethernet port but this has been now disconnected obviously. The light on the adaptop is continuous red which means that its set for connection to a network as apposed to blinking red meaning hardware fault.

When I go into the system settings, the wireless settings are completely disabled so obviously I'm not gettng as far as even detecting the wireless network. I've unplugged the adaptor several times, reset the network options to factory default but the 360 will just not detect that the adaptor is detected, tried every USB Port (front and back). I've googled this issue and it has come up on a few discussion forums but no resolution has ever been mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You are using the official 360 wireless adapter aren't you?
    If not there's your problem. No driver installed and cannot by bypassed.
    If you are using one I suggest you take it back as it could be faulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Yep it is the official 360 wireless controller.

Any chance you can get another to test it out or getting the shop to replace it?

OK i exchanged the wireless adaptor in the place I bought it and got another one but its the exact same scenario. The wireless adaptor is detected by the xbox 360 and again the status of the wireless adaptor is a continuous red LED indicating that the adaptor is fine. Im not missing anything stupidly obvious in the setip am I? e.g. I power off the 360, connect the wireless adaptor and power on the 360, go the dashboard, then to try a test but the only test it seems to run is to test if the 360 is connected by ethernet and then stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

talla wrote: »
    OK i exchanged the wireless adaptor in the place I bought it and got another one but its the exact same scenario. The wireless adaptor is detected by the xbox 360 and again the status of the wireless adaptor is a continuous red LED indicating that the adaptor is fine. Im not missing anything stupidly obvious in the setip am I? e.g. I power off the 360, connect the wireless adaptor and power on the 360, go the dashboard, then to try a test but the only test it seems to run is to test if the 360 is connected by ethernet and then stops.

It could be the slot for the wireless adaptor is buggered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bobanon

i have the same problem. i had a loan of a wireless adapter and it worked fine. i bought a new one and it wont let me search for a network. but if i plug in the old one it works fine. i tried restoring the xbox to factory settings and it didnt make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

you have to make sure you change the settings to wireless i know it sounds stupid but i had that problem and now it works fine. try changing the wireless router settings i found that caused alot of issues for me. try turning it off for ten minutes and connect to the network just to see if it is the router

Can't change the settings to wireless as the 360 does not detect the adaptor, the settings are disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

i had this problem but i fixed it by changing loads of settings and restarts and reset settings and so on. i have it working now for over a year but i dont really remember how. sorry i couldnt help

First thing. Make sure that no ethernet cable is plugged into the xbox as this will cause it to fail for wireless setup. Only the wireless adapater should be installed and only in the rear usb port. It will not work from the front ports.
    At the system settings go to Network settings and click edit.
    There are two tabs..click on the advanced tab and have it search for wireless networks. Enter password if needed.
    If you can pick up the wireless then it's fine and it's probably a configuartion error.
    Let me know how it goes and if you can't do it pm me and I'll send on screenshots on how to set it up.

• Advertisement

No ethernet cable conected. Wireless adaptor connected via rear USB port and LED is a continuous red. When I go into network settings and click edit, wireless network is disabled i.e. 360 does not detect wireless adaptor.

i went on to the xbox site and sent an email to hardware support, if and when i get a reply ill post it. if you want to send in an email yourself the address is https://support.xbox.com/default.aspx?locale=en-us&scrx=1

i rang xbox ireland hardware support after not recieving an email back. they were unable to solve the problem over the phone. a tech is going to call me back within 48 hours. if they can solve the problem over the phone ill post it. if you want to ring them yourself the number is 1800 509 186. have the serial number of the xbox handy its located under the barcode on the back of the xbox. if you find a solution yourself beforehand please let me know.

edit:
    xbox ireland rang me back. they said the adaptor was faulty and its not a settings problem. they are sending out a replacement adaptor within the next 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

bobanon wrote: »
    i rang xbox ireland hardware support after not recieving an email back. they were unable to solve the problem over the phone. a tech is going to call me back within 48 hours. if they can solve the problem over the phone ill post it. if you want to ring them yourself the number is 1800 509 186. have the serial number of the xbox handy its located under the barcode on the back of the xbox. if you find a solution yourself beforehand please let me know.

edit:
    xbox ireland rang me back. they said the adaptor was faulty and its not a settings problem. they are sending out a replacement adaptor within the next 10 days.
    Where did you get the adaptor from, im havijg exact same problems. Stays red and cant select wireless settings, just manual IP/DNS/ppoe which is driving me nuts.

i got it in xtra vision. if you can, exchange it where ever you bought it. if not, ring xbox on the number above. "talla" said in an earlier post that he changed his and it didnt solve the problem, so i dont know if its going
    work. for a temporary fix until you get it sorted you can connect a pc or a laptop to the xbox and get it on xbox live that way. "mgsrocks" has a post on how to do it with vista http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211456

Advertisement