Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite Irish song/artist ?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've compiled a list of 50 great tracks by 50 of my favourite Irish artists :
    http://musictodiefor.wordpress.com/50-of-irelands-finest . Includes a lot of traditional/folk stuff, but also various rock, indie, drum and bass, hip hop, etc. Links are provided to youtube videos of each song.

Who would be in your top 10 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

The Pogues mainly. I like Ride On by Christy Moore too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Altan's "Windmill"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In no particular order -

Ash - Girl From Mars
    Turn - In Position
    JJ72 - October Swimmer
    Enya - Only Time
    Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
    Cranberries - Zombie
    Berkeley - With A Nervous Eye
    Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    Christy Moore - Joxer Goes To Stuttgart
    Mark McCabe - Maniac 2000 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Enya - Only Time

People rip it out of her but some of it aint too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Moondance - Van Morrisson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Heartworm - Whipping Boy
    Astral Weeks - Van
    In Position EP - Turn

Oh and kudos on Rollersakte skinny but **** sake, corrs? Fionn regan? hal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wallster

Not sure what your gripe is against Fionn Regan - it's authentic music, whether or not it deserves all the hype it's been getting.

Hal - nice quality to his voice, but a bit poppy, a bit lacking in substance. Time will tell whether he's able to step up his game.

The Corrs - yes, I hesitated about including them, they've committed a few crimes against music in their time - but was favourably impressed by the tracks from their Unplugged album.

wallster wrote: »
    Not sure what your gripe is against Fionn Regan - it's authentic music, whether or not it deserves all the hype it's been getting.

Hal - nice quality to his voice, but a bit poppy, a bit lacking in substance. Time will tell whether he's able to step up his game.

The Corrs - yes, I hesitated about including them, they've committed a few crimes against music in their time - but was favourably impressed by the tracks from their Unplugged album.

Authentic? as in not false or copied? I should hope so... If you mean original, i think not.
    If you honestly think this song of his is the 14th best to come out of Ireland, i think a little re-think is in order.

Hal - yawn, no substance and again lots of other bands that were not on your list and this was.

Corrs- should i continue.

Where are...

Sultans of Ping FC
    Jimmy Cake
    Whipping Boy
    Bell X1
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Turn
    FKOS
    Berkely

There's actually a good thread over in Alt Indie forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wallster

But I wasn't making an indie list, and I had reasons for that. There's a lot of indie music about, much of it sounds pretty similar, it's heavily influenced by UK and US bands and little of it is distinctively Irish. I just listened again to FKOS and Turn, but couldn't find much that was unique or interesting in their music. Sultans of Ping FC are unique and interesting, but I don't think they stand the test of time. Not that my view matters really - it's all about opinions.

SLF should have been in my list - that one was an oversight !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

wallster wrote: »
    But I wasn't making an indie list

You should have included some '80s Irish synthpop.
    There's nothing out now that sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_2ECDojSd8

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Cranberries, Christy Moore and Luke Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Republic of Loose.

The only Irish band I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Thin Lizzy/Rory Gallagher FT-fùcking-W!!

Advertisement