Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in East Limerick what is the best (and cheapest) option?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi,

Newbie to all this. My parents want to get it in and I have no idea what Broadband they should get.Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Town or out in the sticks, bit of both?

Home phone?

http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

25 min drive to city but house is in the sticks. Have an eircom phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

U cud always get the 3 wireless modem... its not bad.. and its depends on ur coverage... If u have 3g in ur area, u cud get it,,,

Applied Solutions
    Avonline
    Broadband Wherever
    Cross Country Broadband Ltd
    Digiweb Satellite
    e3 Broadband
    ehotspot
    Eircom Satellite
    Fastnet Broadband Satellite
    Media Satellite Ireland Ltd
    National Broadband Ltd
    Orbitlink
    Pure Telecom Satellite

These seem to be my options. I have never heard of most of these.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Have you tried using the eircom line checker with your parents telephone number? By the looks of the list given you are probably not going to be able to get DSL (broadband over phoneline). The list the government site has given you is all satellite (slow, poor service very expensive) , don't be too discouraged by this because the site is definitely not definitive. If the line doesn't pass Eircoms test you will be looking at fixed wireless if available or one of the mobile providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Media Satellite is gone.
    Eircom Satellite uses someone else
    National Broadband is a basic Satellite system AKA Cross Country Broadband

Some of those I havn't heard of.

One Way satellite isn't broadband even at all at all, just a download accellerator on the phone line.

The expensive Satellite services are reliable and fast, but obviously poorer latency than fixed Wirless or DSL (850ms). GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA can easily be slower and higher latency than even basic 2 way satellite unless your signal is good and few people use your phone mast sector (it's shared with Mobile voice calls too).

Exhaust DSL and Fixed Wireless options 1st.

I have tried the Eircom line checker and it seems that we can get broadband from them. I am a bit reluctant though as I have heard some awful reports on their customer service. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Once the DSL is installed then you can change to BT, Digiweb, Imagine, Perlico, UTV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

or you could stay with them if you find they it a pleasurable experience

Advertisement