Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Attack

Options
  • 25-05-2008 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

I see Massive Attach are working on a new album.

I have to say, I still listen to "Blue Lines" and "Protection" on a regular basis.

To me, these albums are like Shakespeare - you find new things with each re-visit.

It is such a shame that in 17 years, they have produced only 2 excellent ablums (the above)
    and 1 average album (Mezzanine), and one terrible album (100th Window)

Any comments on the Bristol Massive?

What other groups did you get into after listening to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wow at Mezzanine being an 'average' album. I seriously doubt you'll get much sympathy for that view.

Anyway, big fan of Massive Attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Mezzanine is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah wow never heard anyone describe Mezzanine as average before. I thought it was fantastic. Haven't really crossed over to any other bands from them yet. Any reccomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Creature wrote: »
    Yeah wow never heard anyone describe Mezzanine as average before. I thought it was fantastic. Haven't really crossed over to any other bands from them yet. Any reccomendations?

Tricky's debut is the obvious recommendation.

Saw him on Jools Holland the other night though, and he was sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

To me, these albums are like Shakespeare
    Except MA is alot easier to listen to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I actually think Maxinquaye is superior to anything Portishead and Massive Attack have put out. Love that album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

When I say Mezzanine is "average", I mean compared to the diversity and freshness of
    Blue Lines and Protection, Mezzanine was a very homogenous album.

To me, a lot of it was just 3-D doing his "dark side thing," it got a bit depressing after a while.

Look at the inlay card for example - It's just 3-D, Daddy G and close up pictures of the metal ant thing.

"Angel" and "Teardrop" are great tracks, amoung my Massive Attack top 10 for sure, but Mezzanine is just to "serious"

In my opinion, Massive Attack's did their best work when there are loads of people involved.

When Mushroom left, the great samples and scratching went with him.

Did he ever do any solo stuff? I'd say it would be top notch.

Anyoone every hear that solo album from Nicolette? - she did the great vocals on "Three" and "Sly" from Protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

I guess because I listen to a lot of goth rock Mezzanine appealed to me. They even got Liz Fraser to do some songs! I didn't find it Homogenous at all, I mean compare Teardrop with some of the heavier guitar tracks.

I suppose they're a little bit more "consistent" in a sense, they have less of a musical tour feel than the older albums but that can be a good thing.

It's kind of interesting though, Massive Attack are often credited with starting Trip Hop, but their album that "veered off course" is the one that sounds most trip hop, as most trip hop is dark and atmospheric, with trebley guitars.

Advertisement