Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imitation Fish

Options
  • 25-05-2008 9:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, what is the range of fake fish that you have tried? Are there many about?
    I just tried my first 'vegan fish' with my gf in the form of imitation fish fingers, I have not had the real McCoy in ten years. They were Redwood and also were delicious, maybe due to me missing them heh. Her cat goes crazy for fish and fish alone, it passed his fish test also and was chasing after us for more. :-)

Any other types out there that I should be aware of?

Comments

I never liked fish.
    I didn't realise that they had fake fish though.
    Where did you get it? What is it made from?

Your vegan for 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Don't think so...

I haven't seen any fake salmon steaks or anything. I tried those 'fish' fingers before and they weren't too bad.

There doesn't seem to be many fake fish products out there. Probably because fish is commonly perceived to be a vegetable by our friends the 'vegetarians' who eat fish ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I never liked fish.
    I didn't realise that they had fake fish though.
    Where did you get it? What is it made from?

Your vegan for 10 years?
    Got it in a health shop in Dun Laoghaire, I'll look up the packet tomorrow for ingredients. Not vegan for 10 years, just haven't had fish fingers for that long.
    Nature Boy wrote: »
    Don't think so...

I haven't seen any fake salmon steaks or anything. I tried those 'fish' fingers before and they weren't too bad.

There doesn't seem to be many fake fish products out there. Probably because fish is commonly perceived to be a vegetable by our friends the 'vegetarians' who eat fish ;)
    Oh well, some day I'll have a good fake smoked cod. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Some stuff here on the centre right, click on pic for supersize.

2523010002_ec7ec3148e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Here are the ingredients for Redwoods Vegetarian Breaded Fish-Style Fingers

Water breadcrumbs sunflower oil wheatflour soya protein textured vegetable protein flavouring wheat starch salt onion powderthickener: carrageenan; spice extracts

http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/cb260/myshop.php?merchant=cb260&prodid=306&sinprod=1&currencyid=287

They also make "Fishless Steaks"

Water Breadcrumbs Sunflower Oil Wheat Flour Soya Protein TexturedVegetable Protein Flavourings Salt Spices Thickener: Carrageenan

http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/cb260/myshop.php?merchant=cb260&prodid=311&sinprod=1&currencyid=287

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Peanut wrote: »

Cool. Where's that?

Judging by the prices methinks it is the uk. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lil'one

i've had redwood thai style fishcakes, gorgeous, really really good, and releat fishless fishcakes which were grand, not bad but not great, definately reccomend the thai style fish cakes though!

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Cool. Where's that?

Yeah sorry it's in London :o

But you might be able to do a bit of digging here using some of the brand names.

But you might be able to do a bit of digging here using some of the brand names.

You should be sorry for a minute there I thought I had found taifun nirvana.
    Why oh why do I have to be Irish.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You should be sorry for a minute there I thought I had found taifun nirvana.
    Why oh why do I have to be Irish.

heheh :)

Yeah I should put a disclaimer on some of those pics :)

I think if enough people got on to one of the health food stores or chains, they may oblige. That or setup your own importing company.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

2523010002_ec7ec3148e.jpg

oooh, nice pic. :)

Luckily I put the camera away quick enough before people started wondering what on earth I was doing taking a pic of a chilled veggie food section :o

You remind me of miss sweet_rasmus, 366 photos of food last year and she will top it easy this year. Photos of my beautiful dinner hehehe

Which day did ye eat two dinners??

Well every day, with 3 on christmas!
    It's not just of dinners, although they are amazing...

Todays photos were of delicious beetroot and chocolate cake. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You remind me of miss sweet_rasmus, 366 photos of food last year and she will top it easy this year. Photos of my beautiful dinner hehehe

what can i say?! i like to cook and admire the desserts i made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Do you know where abouts in London this is ? Looks like quite an extensive veggie range

Whole Foods Market at Kensington High St.

Yep it's quite an amazing place, if a tad (in some cases a lot!) pricey, the veggie chilled foods section is downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Cheers ... Must check it out when I am in London next.

It is a shame that there is not a store in Dublin selling a similar extensive range of vegetarian meat substitutes. I really think there is a market for this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

Apart from redwoods - which is delicious considering I never liked fish much as a omnivore, I've only tried mock prawn and that was in a veggie chinese restaurant so I've no idea what brand it was. Either way it was horrid. They do stuff like mock shark fin soup as well O-o

Advertisement