Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd. Legends -v- Liverpool Legends @ Tolka Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have to say I'm surprised with the quality of players there,wasn't expecting it at all when I opened the link,be a good match to go and see I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rya Houghton. Hmmmm, never rated him.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ben Thornley!!!! he played about 10 mins for United. Legend me bumbum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004099DA172DEF?artistid=965676&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=10004

Tickets are pricey. For anyone going parking is scarce around Tolka.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004099DA172DEF?artistid=965676&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=10004

Tickets are pricey. For anyone going parking is scarce around Tolka.
    Nice apperance fee for them so!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Nice apperance fee for them so!

And hopefully a few bob to Shels for us letting the stadium be used during our season*.

* Next home game is Friday against Wexford Youths, kick-off 8pm. Tickets are €15 Adult, €10 Student and €5 child. :D

Shel's paying you for that?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Shel's paying you for that?!

It's Shels, and no (as they say every little helps).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hmmmmm.

How do the militant EL fans feel about this one?

Is it like the 39th game for old me?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Eirebear wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.

How do the militant EL fans feel about this one?

Is it like the 39th game for old me?:D

All for it. Nice money for the club.

• Advertisement

It's Shels, and no (as they say every little helps).
    What a little thing to pick on!

DSB wrote: »
    All for it. Nice money for the club.

Selling out to the Premiership "Legends"? Think how many people will turn up to that who never go near an EL ground in general...and probably wont afterwards.
    I wouldnt mind if they were playing a Shelbourne side, but Liverpool V Man Utd just reeks of growing the premiership "brand"

Selling out to the Premiership "Legends"? Think how many people will turn up to that who never go near an EL ground in general...and probably wont afterwards.
    I wouldnt mind if they were playing a Shelbourne side, but Liverpool V Man Utd just reeks of growing the premiership "brand"

Given Shelbourne's recent and ongoing financial difficulties, shafting the barstoolers for a few quid doesn't exactly count as selling at all. If you think a few washed up ex-pros are going to help grow the Premiership brand then you're fairly deluded.

Hopefully people will turn up to Eircom League games afterwards. I wouldn't bet on it though and to be honest its not like we've anything to lose in that respect anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mike65 wrote: »
    Rya Houghton. Hmmmm, never rated him.

Mike.

I'd love to go along, if only to shout at Hindsight Houghton, yes thats right Ray, you should have shot instead of passing, and passed when you shot. Sweet revenge for your inane commentating. ;)

PS. Whoever updates the Shels website, you do some proof reading.

Given Shelbourne's recent and ongoing financial difficulties, shafting the barstoolers for a few quid doesn't exactly count as selling at all. If you think a few washed up ex-pros are going to help grow the Premiership brand then you're fairly deluded.

Hopefully people will turn up to Eircom League games afterwards. I wouldn't bet on it though and to be honest its not like we've anything to lose in that respect anyways.

Deluded?
    So the people who turn up to that, and take their young impressionable kids with them, fill them with stories about the great of Man Utd and Liverpool and how its an amazing opportunity to see them in the flesh even if they are getting on a bit, and how its great that they think of their Irish fans in this way by playing a game over here etc etc.

those kids arent gonna come away suppoting Shels are they?

I understand the club need money, but its a dangerous game to play IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Deluded?
    So the people who turn up to that, and take their young impressionable kids with them, fill them with stories about the great of Man Utd and Liverpool and how its an amazing opportunity to see them in the flesh even if they are getting on a bit, and how its great that they think of their Irish fans in this way by playing a game over here etc etc.

those kids arent gonna come away suppoting Shels are they?

I understand the club need money, but its a dangerous game to play IMO

I think you talking a lot of bollox Eirebear.

kerash wrote: »
    I think you talking a lot of bollox Eirebear.

Thanks for that fantastic addition to the conversation Kerash, im simply giving my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whoever wrote the lineups needs a few spelling lessons methinks. Also, I see Michael Thomas is doublejobbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thanks for that fantastic addition to the conversation Kerash, im simply giving my opinion.

So am i, i thought i'd keep it simple. You're implying that it would do more harm that good to shels/eircom league, which is bollox imo.

kerash wrote: »
    So am i, i thought i'd keep it simple. You're implying that it would do more harm that good to shels/eircom league, which is bollox imo.

Why?

In the short term they recieve money. Good, great.

In the long term Man Utd and Liverpool fans who "picked" the team that they support after seeing them play on TV take their young kids along and they get to see their first taste of live football.

How many of these dads will take them along to see Shels play? Very few i bet.

If people can choose a team support because they seen them on TV once when they were five....how are they going to differ when they see their dad/uncle/brother enthusing about the "legends" in the flesh?

• Advertisement

Why?

In the short term they recieve money. Good, great.

In the long term Man Utd and Liverpool fans who "picked" the team that they support after seeing them play on TV take their young kids along and they get to see their first taste of live football.

How many of these dads will take them along to see Shels play? Very few i bet.

If people can choose a team support because they seen them on TV once when they were five....how are they going to differ when they see their dad/uncle/brother enthusing about the "legends" in the flesh?

How would not putting this match on getting money for it help promote Shels anymore than not putting it on though?

How would not putting this match on getting money for it help promote Shels anymore than not putting it on though?

Thats the problem, a rock and a hard place etc etc.

Im not trying to cause an argument here, i was honestly just wondering what peoples opinions on it were.

I personally dont think it should be a habit EL clubs should be getting into, if its a one of then fine, if it becomes a regular thing then it really is asking for trouble.

Thats the problem, a rock and a hard place etc etc.

Im not trying to cause an argument here, i was honestly just wondering what peoples opinions on it were.

I personally dont think it should be a habit EL clubs should be getting into, if its a one of then fine, if it becomes a regular thing then it really is asking for trouble.

But theres no problem. This isn't a venture to promote Shelbourne FC as such. We have Leeds and Milwall coming over in the summer which are attempts to do that. This is a moneymaking venture and you can be sure the barstoolers will be in for this.

But theres no problem. This isn't a venture to promote Shelbourne FC as such. We have Leeds and Milwall coming over in the summer which are attempts to do that. This is a moneymaking venture and you can be sure the barstoolers will be in for this.

But it could be a problem in the long term, for me all this is doing is giving Shelbourne some cash in order to promote Liverpool and Man Utd as football clubs that Irish supporters should follow.

As i say, as a one of it wont cause too much ham, but if more EL clubs do it, or Shels do it on a regular basis then what kind of message does that send out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's hardly a new thing though really. Shels have been hosting games like this for ages, along with those Dream Team friendlies that cropped up every year and also didn't involve a team from the club.

I really don't see any problem with them making a few quid. Shels aren't exactly known for their sell out crowds so this is a way to balance that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

tickets for the game in cork selling very slowly from what i'm hearing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's hardly a new thing though really. Shels have been hosting games like this for ages, along with those Dream Team friendlies that cropped up every year and also didn't involve a team from the club..

But when that did happen, one of the team's playing was Shels. I agree in parts with what Eirebear is saying.. Aslong as it's a once off it's a good thing because it's taking money off the barstoolers. However, if it was to develop in to a yearly thing I don't know how people can't see how much of a bad thing it would be for for the EL's long term future.

Got some more info regarding tickets. They will be available from the offices at Tolka Park from Wednesday and will be available on Saturday before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are the ticket prices so weird?

Adults €27.15
    Concessions €17.15
    Family (2 Adults/2 Children) €80.60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Whats a concession ticket ? Do you need to be oap or student or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

DesF wrote: »
    Why are the ticket prices so weird?

Adults €27.15
    Concessions €17.15
    Family (2 Adults/2 Children) €80.60

prolly because the players get paid in sterling. pretty weird otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Wheres the best place to park for the match? I'll be coming up from Laois so I'm not familiar with the grounds or the area at all. Also what time do ye think we should arrive at to get a good view? Thanks in advance.

lorweld wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to park for the match? I'll be coming up from Laois so I'm not familiar with the grounds or the area at all. Also what time do ye think we should arrive at to get a good view? Thanks in advance.

There is feck all parking around Tolka.

What time is kick off?

I'd be arriving a good hour before tbh, park on the Grace park Road, I reckon the Richmond Rd will be cordoned off.

According to Shelsweb around 4,500 tickets have been sold already.

• Advertisement

Thanks DesF kickoff is 3pm

lorweld wrote: »
    Thanks DesF kickoff is 3pm
    Hmm, here I did you a map.

tolkaparking.jpg

See the Red X, that's Tolka Park, the city centre is off to the bottom of the map.

Now, the Blue line, just above and to the right, that's a small cul-de-sac, but parking is good there, if you are there about 1ish, stick the car into it, and just walk up to the Drumcondra Rd (the green road to the left), there's a few decent pubs there.

Further left than Drumcondra Rd would be parking too, it's a housing estate though, so space will be at a premium.

Otherwise, anywhere along the Grace Park, just after the blue line, but you could end up in Whitehall and walking down.

Especially if there are 5 or 6 thousand expected.

DesF wrote: »
    Hmm, here I did you a map.

tolkaparking.jpg

See the Red X, that's Tolka Park, the city centre is off to the bottom of the map.

Now, the Blue line, just above and to the right, that's a small cul-de-sac, but parking is good there, if you are there about 1ish, stick the car into it, and just walk up to the Drumcondra Rd (the green road to the left), there's a few decent pubs there.

Further left than Drumcondra Rd would be parking too, it's a housing estate though, so space will be at a premium.

Otherwise, anywhere along the Grace Park, just after the blue line, but you could end up in Whitehall and walking down.

Especially if there are 5 or 6 thousand expected.

Ah DesF! You're a pet;) Thanks so much for going to all that trouble. Fair play to ya!

Millmount Ave is another decent place to park, but as SantryRed said supposely 4,500 ticket have been sold so be there early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dear god where do i start on this stinking pile of horse manure..

went down to the match in the cross last night (thankfully i didnt have to pay, if i did i would have been quite annoyed). "Legends" my eye. Bruce grobbelaar, john barnes, john aldridge and lee sharpe were the only "legends" that were there. I mean, Ben Thornley was on the united team! he now plays for the mighty Wilmslow Albion in the East Cheshire Sunday Football League Division Two, according to wikipedia

as for the game itself, it was absolutely dreadful. i'd rather iron my sack than watch that again. john barnes in particular was a disgrace, he could barely move , let alone play football. it reminded me of the over 75 priests 5-a-side game in Father Ted. if i wanted to watch old people shuffle around and not do very much except complain i'd call up to my grandparents..

on the plus side though, grobbelaar was brilliant, he still has it. pulled off one or two quality saves. man of the match by far for me, followed closely by john aldridge, just for the simple fact he actually did some running and actually looked enthusiastic about it..

the organisers wouldnt get away with staging this in cork any time soon, i can tell you that..

pure rubbish from start to finish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

hmm... not so looking forward to it tomorrow after reading that!

Me neither:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Settled it for me. Definitely not going now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea it wasnt the best match ever. It was ok but with one or 2 nice moves but alot of the players were unknown to me.

Even tipoki came on for united!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was told last night, there's been 6,000 tickets sold so far. :eek:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was told last night, there's been 6,000 tickets sold so far. :eek:

Was told the same last night.:confused: Maybe that's what's expected rather than what's been sold.

Enjoyed the game today ... great turn out... lovely day ... pool demolished united 4 - nil .... hopefully shels will make a few quid out of it too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

How many was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Estimate on the crowd?

don;t think they announced the crowd figures ..but it was most people i;ve seen in tolka for a long time .. probably around 60-70 % capacity ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement