Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Oh Where May I Find WorK?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey everyone, new to this boards but i am wondering does anybody know any places looking for staff in the sligo area. Doesnt Have to be in the town. But Im just finished college for the summer in NUIG and badly stuck for a job. Any suggestions?:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Referee Required
    Sligo Forum
    Boards.ie
    Ireland

Hey everyone, new to this boards but i am wondering does anybody know any places looking for staff in the sligo area. Doesnt Have to be in the town. But Im just finished college for the summer in NUIG and badly stuck for a job. Any suggestions?:D:D

Welcome to the forum!

Try the Youth Information Office on Market Street, they will have alot of information on temporary work in the area.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bestinwest90

sueme wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum!

Try the Youth Information Office on Market Street, they will have alot of information on temporary work in the area.

Good luck :)

TBH i dont know is this a smart comment or genuine. It Market Street as in Market Yard?

TBH i dont know is this a smart comment or genuine. It Market Street as in Market Yard?

Not being smart! (Me?!)

Market Street is at the junction of Castle Street and Gratton Street. Its where the Lady Erin statue is, Shoot the Crows, Greenes Shoes, Cosgroves...

I'm trying to think of other landmarks for you, but I think thats it covered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You sure the street the Youth Information Office isn't called high street? I always thought it was.*

*note, I know very little of the street names in this town so I'm probably wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Thought it was high street myself! :confused:

oh cool, i mite head in tuesday. Do you know of anyone who got summer work there? any factories or places in the industrial Estate looking for staff? Or Pcworld/Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

oh cool, i mite head in tuesday. Do you know of anyone who got summer work there? any factories or places in the industrial Estate looking for staff? Or Pcworld/Currys
    If you're looking for work in somewhere like PC World or Currys, best thing to do is print off a few cvs and take a wander up to the retail park - most of the shops up there will advertise vacancies on posters in their windows - don't always make it into the paper.

Its Market Street up as far as Harrys Bar (ish), then its High Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

toy city were advertising 2 weeks ago..look in the Sligo champion. or whatever shops/places you think ud like. just go into them with your CV, and chat with them.
    go to irishjobs.ie, search for jobs in sligo register your CV with them.

Or just sign on the dole!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I was unemployed for three months (wahay!) I went to the Sligo Jobs Club which gave me some tips on proactive job searching.

In a nutshell, what you do is:

1) Identify the decision maker at the business by name.
    2) Get an appointment with the person for 10 minutes - say you'd just like to come in and speak with them and it won't take longer than a coffee break etc.
    3) Introduce yourself, tell them a bit of what you excel at, ask if they have anything available for someone with your skills and experience, and if not, would they know anyone who might?
    4) Leave them with a copy of your CV (of course).
    5) If they gave you any leads for other business acquaintances, phone them up and say, "Gerry from Office Solutions told me you might be looking for someone for xxx role..." You're automatically more credible since it's a business associate that's referring you, in a way.

So. I never tried it... and it's certainly not going to work every time. But it could, and it's better than waiting for the winds of change to blow you something in in the Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dole FTW! But unfortunately, as the OP is obviously a student, they won't be able to sign on.:(

Yeah... What everyone else has said... Just rock up to a few places and hand in the old curriculum vitae. Dress up a bit. You don't have to be suited and booted but make a bit of an effort. I have often taken CVs from people that haven't even taken the effort to dress just a little bit smart (no matter what type of job they're looking for) and thrown them in the bin without looking at them before the door has closed behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There is a job advertised in the window of cafe online on stephen st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Ocean FM looking for promotional and merchandising people for the summer period.... grand for student life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Culchie wrote: »
    Ocean FM looking for promotional and merchandising people for the summer period.... grand for student life.

Where abouts did you see that?? That sounds cool

Where abouts did you see that?? That sounds cool

me bad, it's actually i 102-104 radio .....even better.

Add me to the jobseekers club please!

Part-time, school hours, if anyone hears of anything.

Oh, and I want at least 40k.

Cheers!

sueme wrote: »

Part-time, school hours, if anyone hears of anything.

Oh, and I want at least 40k.

Cheers!

Run for election !

me bad, it's actually i 102-104 radio .....even better.

cool..where did you see that?

Run for election !

Sorted.

Thanks. :D

• Advertisement

cool..where did you see that?

heard it advertised on the radio ..... i 102-104 radio funny enough;)

heard it advertised on the radio ..... i 102-104 radio funny enough;)
    that does sound good. Anyone know what kind of work one would be doing? Pay good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

that does sound good. Anyone know what kind of work one would be doing? Pay good?

Think that job is based in Galway City though

http://www.i102104.ie/jobs/index.html

Went Into Town 2day , Turns out That Advert is for a Bookies !! Going applying 2morrow. Was looking around town to see if there was many spots advertising looking for staff. Didnt see alot. Anyone Know Of any More Places?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Get the Weekender tomorrow and the Champion on Wednesday

The Champion would be the biggest paper for jobs in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Velvet Room and Envy nightclubs are looking for staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Went Into Town 2day , Turns out That Advert is for a Bookies !! Going applying 2morrow. Was looking around town to see if there was many spots advertising looking for staff. Didnt see alot. Anyone Know Of any More Places?

Have you experience in bookies? I tried applying before but they wouldn't take me. Perhaps that has changed though. I've given up on looking for a job and decided to help out on the farm and at home for the next few months before going back to uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Madge wrote: »
    Velvet Room and Envy nightclubs are looking for staff

Velvet only opens one night a week and Envy is open less nights for the summer. Would do as a top up but not as your only source of income. Hotels might be busier this time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Mauds Cafe!

• Advertisement

Mauds Cafe!

For A Lad Though!!

Advertisement