Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designation Question

Options
  • 26-05-2008 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Been bugging me for a while guys, while i know EI is straightforward for Airlingus im wondering why do Ryanair us the FR designation and why do AerArann use the RE Designation?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well AA was certainly already taken, and I guess a more obvious RY or RA for Ryanair was as well. Not sure where the F comes in though.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Steyr wrote: »
    Been bugging me for a while guys, while i know EI is straightforward for Airlingus im wondering why do Ryanair us the FR designation and why do AerArann use the RE Designation?

RE => Really Excellent
    FR => F***ing Ryanair

Easy really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Don't think they have a choice in the matter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ya, I think they are defined by ICAO, but it is interesting how rea is aer backwards, which is irish for air....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The EI is an IATA code. The ICAO code for Aer Lingus is EIN, for Ryanair RYR, for Aer Arann REA. I dont know how they assign them. Many of them dont resemble the airline they represent in any way shape or form.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement