Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship or moderation ?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Does anyone feel this forum is being censored more than moderated by certain mods?

eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055300658

I have voted yes

Is this forum censored more than moderated ? 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 15 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved to feedback with a redirect.

BS, read the forum charter - not only does it explain why that thread was closed, but also why it happened to the other thread on precisely the same topic. And in the closing post, I gave links to the relevant forum and a thread in that forum on exactly the topic pat was starting to discuss. How is it censorship when you're told "not here, there"? That's like saying that it's censorship that you can't find a maths book in the history section of the library.

And don't forget, we just got out of a major shouty period in the shooting forum over politics. Two mods have quit because of the politics. And that was strictly inter-NGB politics, spats over how the sports should be administered, not actual government-level politics. So the Hunting and Target Shooting and For Sale forums were created as politics-free zones, and the politics we see in the main forum is watched carefully, because we prefer to have a forum than not.

And last we checked, we didn't pay the bills on this site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should have edited the word censored out of his post before moving it, sparks. Just for the laugh.

Shooting forum is for discussion about shooting, politics forum is for discussion about politics. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Numerous of my and at least two other posters posts have been deleted. And they weren't political ! I recieved no explanation
    :rolleyes:
    One was me expressing sympathy over your broken stock :rolleyes:

1 vote each I'd say Sparks :D

You should have edited the word censored out of his post before moving it, sparks. Just for the laugh.

Shooting forum is for discussion about shooting, politics forum is for discussion about politics. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

:p

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Moved to feedback with a redirect.

BS, read the forum charter - not only does it explain why that thread was closed, but also why it happened to the other thread on precisely the same topic. And in the closing post, I gave links to the relevant forum and a thread in that forum on exactly the topic pat was starting to discuss. How is it censorship when you're told "not here, there"? That's like saying that it's censorship that you can't find a maths book in the history section of the library.

And don't forget, we just got out of a major shouty period in the shooting forum over politics. Two mods have quit because of the politics. And that was strictly inter-NGB politics, spats over how the sports should be administered, not actual government-level politics. So the Hunting and Target Shooting and For Sale forums were created as politics-free zones, and the politics we see in the main forum is watched carefully, because we prefer to have a forum than not.

And last we checked, we didn't pay the bills on this site.

As you stated inter NGB politics not politics that may/may not affect us in the shooting community by voting for/against Lisbon, oh no i've said the word......

The main shooting forum only allows politics you agree with then ?

You were a mod in the period that these spats took place and you're still a mod, friends in high places eh :D

looks like the cushion has joined you :D

Numerous of my and at least two other posters posts have been deleted. And they weren't political ! I recieved no explanation
    :rolleyes:
    One was me expressing sympathy over your broken stock :rolleyes:
    BS, if you posted on the stock thread something very odd is going on - I've just gone through that thread and there are no posts from you in there. If they'd been deleted, as a mod I would still be able to see them. They're just not there. When did you post there?

There were numerous deletions off the RTE Prime Time thread a day or so ago because a few posters who shall remain unnamed started posting the sort of stuff you'd expect if it was 1am and they'd just gotten back from a few hours in the pub. (It was 1 am at the time, I can't swear as to their pub status :D ). But there, to be frank, we were doing what they'd have done themselves the next morning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm with Sparks on this one...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

bunny shooter: I've had a quick skim through all of your posts in the shooting forums and of the last 50 posts it breaks down like this:

Untouched: 32
    Deleted for being off-topic chat better suited to another forum/PM/IM*: 16
    Deleted for discussing a consumer issue that could have turned legal**: 2

Now this is a worst-case view of the moderation of your posts since those 16 posts were not representative of your normal posts.

* That string of (more than 50!) posts in which you were one of the posters caused Rovi a decent amount of work cleaning up and none of ye got a ban, infraction or even a warning. If that isn't tolerant modding I don't know what is.
    ** You were initially circumspect about the topic yourself and after it was edited out we discussed it via PM and explained the rationale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

We don't censor in the forum.

We:

1) Enforce the rules.
    2) Remove posts contrary to the rules.
    3) Remove posts that are potentially libelous.
    4) Remove posts that aren't in the right place.

If you stay within the guideline issued, your threads won't be deleted.

I can speak, as someone who is removed from the implications of the treaty and who has discussed it (the treaty) and the moderation of the treaty with my co-mods, that no bias exists within the politics forum.

you's are all ganging up on me, even Rovi, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

PSI wrote: »
    that no bias exists within the politics forum.

Well, you'd be in trouble if you admitted there was a bias (towards a certain party), now wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Rb wrote: »
    Well, you'd be in trouble if you admitted there was a bias (towards a certain party), now wouldn't you?

Maybe, but I don't have a record for caring about trouble if I think something is wrong or right.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about the Shooting forum rather than the Politics forum psi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just so that everyone knows what we're talking about here, attached should be a screen grab of the posts to which I think you're referring.
    Posts 199 and 200 are as they still exist in the thread; my bit (00:35, "<vast snippage> etc") was posted after deleting all the stuff preceding it, and it and the two after it were deleted the next day.

I agree, they weren't political; they also weren't in any way relevant to the particular thread or even the the Shooting forum in general.

I don't think any explanation was needed in this case, to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Complete load of waffle and of topic nonsense. Every right to be deleted.

Though, you were probably censoring their conversation.. I mean... a vibrator that can gut the crass? Id ****ing censor that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

another disgruntled boardsie!:D

btw i vote no

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shakin wrote: »
    btw i vote no

To lisbon?

Sully wrote: »
    Complete load of waffle and of topic nonsense. Every right to be deleted.

Though, you were probably censoring their conversation.. I mean... a vibrator that can gut the crass? Id ****ing censor that!

Feeling threatened :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Does anyone feel this forum is being censored more than moderated by certain mods?

eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055300658

I have voted yes
    +1 bunny why let me see o that right i put
    a reply in a post about( well judge) sparks might know that as his ans
    was very nasty so sparks would you put up the reply you gave me
    thank you steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

thehair wrote: »
    +1 bunny why let me see o that right i put
    a reply in a post about( well judge) sparks might know that as his ans
    was very nasty so sparks would you put up the reply you gave me
    thank you steve
    er...what?

i hope the truth:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If I could actually read it, I might be in a position to tell you.

post_old.gif 21-05-2008, 14:55 #9 Sparks
    blue_star_4.gif

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Shooting

Post deleted thehair - seriously, not today, we're likely to have Joe Fluffy reading in before continuing last night's hatchet job, last thing we need is to give him stuff to take out of context like that.
    user_offline.gifreport.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif post_thanks.gif

thehair, are you saying I was wrong to delete that post?

yes sparks i did not put in any names of minister like orther people.
    ref in hunting post name animal act 1911 have a look.steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

how can it be censorship when he gives you the links of where to discuss it?

some people...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

thehair wrote: »
    yes sparks i did not put in any names of minister like orther people.
    ref in hunting post name animal act 1911 have a look.steve

You joked about shooting someone in a shooting forum the day after we had been portrayed as a danger to the public on national television.

At the best of times that's in exceptionally bad taste.

Tentative link to the topic + bad taste + bad timing = fast track to the bin.

• Advertisement

bit of a clique :(

I can't believe I've 15% of the vote. Thanks for the support lads, whoever ye are

Advertisement