Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardman Bikes - any good?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

blorg wrote: »
    Thin tyres are no more likely to puncture, so I wouldn't make the decision on that basis. They will be less comfortable (but faster) than thicker tyres- that is what you should be making your decision on.

I see. What about buckles, would the thin tyres/wheels be more prone to buckles on poor roads(compared to the Trek above)? Fair enough, I know I won't be hopping up and down kerbs or anything but I'm sure you all know, the sides of roads tends to harbour many a pot hole!

Yeah, comfort is probably going to be important for me on my 10 mile commute with heavy traffic the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I didn't! Well not yet anyway! I think I've gone off the idea of the Boaradman, well not just the Boardman but all bikes with such a thin wheel. I will just be using it for commuting and yes, I still want something light. I was talking to a colleague in work and he has a bike similar to the boardman and he said he is forever repairing punctures etc due to the bad quality of the roads here in Cork!

He also has a Trek FX which he bought locally so I might pop in to the shop he mentioned and have a look.

I can recommend the trek FX series, I have a 7.5 which comes with a carbon fork, 9 speed rear mech with a triple up front. Its RRP in the UK is £500 which is about €630. With the exchange rate it makes sense to go up to northern ireland and buy. Down where you are that will sting you €800. Even if you budget fuel for the drive up and down (or train) it'd be worth your while I think.

neilled wrote: »
    I can recommend the trek FX series, I have a 7.5 which comes with a carbon fork, 9 speed rear mech with a triple up front. Its RRP in the UK is £500 which is about €630. With the exchange rate it makes sense to go up to northern ireland and buy. Down where you are that will sting you €800. Even if you budget fuel for the drive up and down (or train) it'd be worth your while I think.

would I make much of a saving after driving up and down from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I see. What about buckles, would the thin tyres/wheels be more prone to buckles on poor roads(compared to the Trek above)? Fair enough, I know I won't be hopping up and down kerbs or anything but I'm sure you all know, the sides of roads tends to harbour many a pot hole!

Yeah, comfort is probably going to be important for me on my 10 mile commute with heavy traffic the whole way.
    They shouldn't no- the difference in width is not that much (if any) and the quality of the wheels is going to be much more important. I have thin road bike wheels on most of my bikes and they have fared better with more mileage than the slightly wider ones on my hybrid.

Best try out each type on the sort of road surface you are likely to be cycling on and make your decision then. Around Cork city I would reckon you would be more than fine on the tyres on the Boardman hybrids- they are 700x28c which is much wider than a standard road tyre as it is!

Bear in mind also that you can always swap the tyres on the Boardman for bigger ones; this is not difficult or expensive to do. The Trek has 700x35c.

I reckon the Boardman Comp hybrid is a much better bike for the money than the Trek, the latter are good bikes (I have had five of them) but you are paying a premium for the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Curious what did you buy in the end?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Curious what did you buy in the end?

I actually didn't but anything in the end! I said I would hold off to see if it was all just a 'phase' I was going through and I'm glad I did because I reckon the bike would only end up in the shed gathering dust most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I have a Giant FCR 2 for sale, only cycled once. Size Large, if your interested.

Advertisement