Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling/Flooring Question

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm putting tiles down in my kitchen, but I have 2 problem areas. If i put 3/4" plywood down and then tile on top, the floor will be raised by about 1 inch.

My back door opens inwards, and there isn't a 1 inch clearance underneath it. Plus its aluminium, so I wont be able to trim it! Also, my dishwasher & washing machine won't fit under the worktop if the floor is raised by 1 inch.

So i am thinking of removing all the floorboards and putting the plywood straight onto the joists. Would this be ok? The joists are 14" apart.

I'm just concerned about movement. i.e the floorboards are solid at the moment so putting 3/4" ply on top would make it stronger. However if I just have 3/4" ply on the joists, will it be strong enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

ur putting down 9mm marine ply right?

you can go to 6mm and then the tiles.

make sure you have brass screws every 6-7 inches.

some tilers will tell you they wont work on floor unless there is 9mm ply down.

6mm is fine. ive tiled on 3mm and had no lift or cracking on the grout lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

Well i thought that you should put down 3/4" (18/19mm??) marine ply at least? (usually on top of the floorboards) Is that not the case?

As this will cause a height issue, I was going to remove the floorboards and put ply straight on top of the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

9mm is fine, never used 6mm. Make sure the sheeting is WBP, not actual marine ply which costs about 6 times as much.

Advertisement