Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW boot release problem!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Anyone out there with advice about the boot lock on a BMW318 SE. It has worked fine until 2 wks ago. I went to open the car one morning and the key fob would not work. After pressing it a couple of times it unlocked the car. I thought it was a batery problem but hte fob on the spare key was the same. Since then the boot will not unlock when I use the unlock button in the car. I have to turn off the engine and use the key fob to unlock the boot now. Very akward. Any ideas? It's as if the key fob has been reprogrammed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

its prob the solenoid gone, when ya press the button on the remote a little motor spins a plunger that opens the lock, the same happened to my 05 focus a month ago, if ya can try get one in a srappy and get somone to replace it for ya or bmw will charge a fortune, i did mine myself it's not hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Well thanks to a very quick google search I have fixed the problem. The boot was in 'Valet mode'. New one on me but apparently it is to ensure the boot can only be opened from the remote and not from inside the car. All I had to do was to turn the key cylinder inot the vertical position and it's working fine again. RTFM! I do admit i haven't read the manual!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hmm.. there is a boot unlock button inside the car?

I hope I'm not an idiot, but I've never seen one in mine.. a '02 325 SE

Where is this button?

spockety wrote: »
    Hmm.. there is a boot unlock button inside the car?

I hope I'm not an idiot, but I've never seen one in mine.. a '02 325 SE

Where is this button?

In my car it is a button beside the handbrake. It unlocks/locks all the doors.
    apparently if the key position for the boot in in a horizontal position it means it is in valet mode. I just turned it to vertical position and it internal button now operates the boot release.

I am sure it would be the same in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Most BMWs have this feature. It's for countries where they have valet parking like in the US so that the park attendant doesn't go interfering with what's in the boot of your car.

Toyotas also have something like this with the grey key that only opens doors and starts the car but won't open the boot or the glovebox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

okgirl wrote: »
    In my car it is a button beside the handbrake. It unlocks/locks all the doors.
    apparently if the key position for the boot in in a horizontal position it means it is in valet mode. I just turned it to vertical position and it internal button now operates the boot release.

I am sure it would be the same in your car.

Ah.. don't think I'd want my boot opening if I lock all the doors though!

Sometimes when driving through a dodgy area of town I would hit the central locking button to lock all the doors .. it'd be a bit rubbish if the boot flew open at the same time.

Not sure about other modles but in my car once I go over 5km per hour the doors automatically lock, so I wouldn't ever use the internal lock/unlock button unless I was stationary and needed to open the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

spockety wrote: »
    Ah.. don't think I'd want my boot opening if I lock all the doors though!

Sometimes when driving through a dodgy area of town I would hit the central locking button to lock all the doors .. it'd be a bit rubbish if the boot flew open at the same time.

That won't happen, the button by the hand brake is just central locking, the boot release button is down beside the bonnet release handle in the drivers footwell.

Advertisement