Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oops

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

So I *think* I fried my computer over the weekend trying to move it to a new case etc etc.

So while I see if I can fix it or not I need to work a price to replace it.

Soo the technical fault points to a cpu or motherboard error caused by the moving or by me blowing my first PSU (on 2nd now), (machine powers on but no response from monitor etc, just blank screen, quick google points me to cpu or mobo killed.)

But thats an issue for me to sort out or not.

here and now I am working out a price and capable replacement.

the parts I have left over that need to make up the new pc (*oh gods*)

1 x 30 gig hard drive (with vista home 64 bit install) (NOT SATA)

1 x 160 gig hard drive (with all my downloads games etc.) (NOT SATA)

4 x 1 gig ram

1 x GT8800

1 x GT8600

2 X dvd drives (NOT SATA)

1 x 570w psu

course my main problem is my hard drives and dvd drives need the old IDE ports which many new mobos dont come with more then 1 (I need 2) when they have pci xpress, thats why I bought my current mobo.

But since I will need to reinstall vista *anyway* I might just buy 2 new 500 gig sata hard drives instead and just transfer stuff over maybe via an enclosure.

(but its more costs :( )

So what set up would people recommand thats not too costly but still effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Could you not just get any SLI motherboard (for your 8800's), and get 1 SATA DVD drive (sell or get rid of the old dvd drives). That way you could use your current hard drives as is, or splash out and get a SATA 500Gig, and use the IDE port to transfer your old drives over.

I'd be very hesitant to limit the motherboard based on getting two PATA ports, esp. given the low prices of SATA DVD drives and HD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Computers don't just fry that easily.
    It could be something as simple as a loose stick of ram .
    So I *think* I fried my computer over the weekend
    Why do you think it's fried anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

or you could also just buy a PCI adapted that would have 2 IDE ports on it.....there was one on adverts.ie a while ago......do make sure its broken first, if you didnt smell burning, hear a loud pop or see smoke it aint broken yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if you didnt smell burning, hear a loud pop or see smoke it aint broken yet!!!

heh

I saw all 3 from my PSU...hence I changed to a new one, and its still not working, so my guess is my mobo or cpu got fried

is there any benefit from crossfiring a 8600 gts with a 8800 gt?

I'm guessing its either my cpu or mobo fried, I just hope it aint something else aswell, I am borderline broke atm.

crossfire is ati

nvidia is sli and you need identical type card so only a 2x8600gts or 2x8800gt would work and you need an SLI board for that so must be nVidia chipset......8800gt on its own would be better than 8600gts in sli I think.....not positive but anything below 8800gt is kinda crappy.
    I would say your processor might have survived but your motherboard might have had it....are there any burst capacitors on it? if its less than a year old chance an RMA!

• Advertisement

RMA?

its actually just over a year old

RMA is another way of saying warantee.....check out what brand it is and how long the makers offer on the watantee.

damn its only 12 months

and i got the board in feburary last year.

Advertisement