Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robert Thornton Joins PDC

• 26-05-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

ROBERT THORNTON, the current BDO number one, has moved onto the Professional Darts Corporation circuit and joined the PDPA.

The Scottish star won the 2007 World Masters and this year's Dutch Open, before recently coming through the Holsten Qualifiers to win a place in next month's Blue Square UK Open.

Thornton, from Stevenston in Ayrshire, has now joined the Professional Dart Players Association and will play on the PDC circuit full-time from June.

He reached the quarter-finals of last weekend's Welsh Open, and is currently ranked number one in the BDO system and number three in the WDF.

Thornton will follow up his appearance in the UK Open by competing in the two Players Championship events at Bristol in June in a late bid to win a place in the Stan James World Matchplay, before travelling to the PartyPoker.net Las Vegas Desert Classic Qualifiers at the end of the month.

"I'm excited about coming across to the PDC," said Thornton. "I'd reached number one in the BDO but I sat down with my wife and discussed it and thought it was time for a change.

"It was a big decision for me, but I'm looking forward to my career in the PDC now.

"I know quite a lot of players already and I've got on well with James Wade when we've done some exhibitions together this year, so it won't be too hard to settle in."

He added: "My aim is initially to enjoy the Blue Square UK Open in Bolton and then break into the top 16 on the PDC Order of Merit.

"I'll be trying my hardest to qualify for every major tournament from now on, and if I can play my best darts I should hopefully be able to do that."

Thornton's World Masters win over Darryl Fitton last November saw him qualify for November's PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts.

And his Blue Square UK Open challenge will begin on Thursday June 5 at Bolton against Russia's World Ladies Champion Anastasia Dobromyslova, live on Sky Sports.

Thornton did play in the Scottish Regional Final of the 2006-2007 UK Open, reaching the quarter-finals in Irvine.

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said: "We welcome all quality players to the PDC and I applaud Robert's ambition to play amongst the sport's elite players for millions of pounds in prize money.

"I wish him the best of luck and he has already made clear his ambitions to be successful at the highest level of darts.

"He has done superbly well to become the number one in the BDO system and it's exciting to see him accept the challenge of starting afresh on the PDC Pro Tour."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

How many players are current members of the PDC ?

Does anyone have any idea ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

At a guess around 300.

Thornton is a very good player and will add to the PDC. He will find it hard to break into the top 16 anytime soon though because he is so far behind in the order of Merit.

He plays the Womens World Champion (who is hot by the way:p ) in the first round of the UK Open which should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Kingp35 wrote: »
    At a guess around 300.

Wow.....the PDC is really growing.

I remember 10 years ago when there might have been 50 memebers at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Thornton is a very good player and will add to the PDC. He will find it hard to break into the top 16 anytime soon though because he is so far behind in the order of Merit.

That's a fairly massive blow for the BDO to lose a player of Thornton's calibre; they really need to do something to keep their top players! He will definately add to the PDC - i dont think he'll have much chance of making top 16 til next year.
    He plays the Womens World Champion (who is hot by the way:p ) in the first round of the UK Open which should be interesting.

She's fairly hot alright! She can throw some savage darts too - she absolutely destroyed Gulliver in the Lakeside World Championships. Has Anastasia switched to the PDC now as well or can BDO members qualify for the UK Open??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

She's fairly hot alright! She can throw some savage darts too - she absolutely destroyed Gulliver in the Lakeside World Championships. Has Anastasia switched to the PDC now as well or can BDO members qualify for the UK Open??
    The UK Open has "pub qualifiers", where 32 non-PDPA players can qualify for the tournament. Among the pub qualifiers this year were Thornton, Anastasia and Scotty Waites.
    Glenn Moody tried to qualify also but lost out to Thornton.
    As mentioned above Thornton has since joined the PDC, but the others have not yet, but for Waites its only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement