Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Cabriolet Car

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I'm due a change of car and fancy a cabriolet. Don't want a big engine or body but don't know what's available. Saw the Opel Tigra and very impressed but out of my budget I'm afraid. Have about 13k to spend. Can anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

erm.... mazda mx-5 generally a safe bet

saab 9-3 aero cabrio.... the nicest ofthe nice , but haven said that , most of these cars, even being a girl isnt enough , you have to have a year or twos NCB so that you have enough money left over for Any repairs you car may need ( every car needs some now and then. Fact. )

under 5k spending the mazda, upto 10 the saab , over 10 id buy an audi TT and cut the roof off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A Peugeot 206 CC could fit the bill - easily got for well under 13 K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Suzuki/Cappuccino/convertiable/508922/

Suzuki Cappoccino.

Cheap, tiny engine, goes like the clappers, incredible fun to drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't cabriolet usually mean soft or rag top? If so then the Tigra or 206cc don't fall into this catagory.

If looking for a cheap rag top convertible then the MX-5 is hard to beat. It is also very nice to drive.

Something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/MX-5/Sport-Cabriolet/972136/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The MX5 would have to be top of the list. A Toyota MR-S could be interesting too.

More practical would be the megan, astra, 3-series etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Thanks for the suggestions. The Peugeot 206 looks great. Unfortunately it's a 2 litre :(. Will check out the others.

There is a 1.6 one as well, which is probably more common. I just picked the first ad I saw with decent pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lightening wrote: »
    Suzuki Cappoccino
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Has to be the MX-5.

Probably the best drive. The scuttle shake in Saab is bad, well any of the ones that I drove. I've heard those Peugeots are rattly as hell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

The only thing is that now is a relatively expensive time of year to buy a rag-top.

MX-5 FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

biko wrote: »
    +1

omg wow!
    I love it I want it!
    wheres daddy!!
    But is there any af thes with more that 2 (bucket seats)
    as I would like room for three in the back
    I have a 06 corsa for trade in and an additional 10k to put to it any ideas?
    I like the sporty ones but not mx-5

omg wow!
    I love it I want it!
    wheres daddy!!
    But is there any af thes with more that 2 (bucket seats)
    as I would like room for three in the back

Where's Daddy! I love it....

You won't fit much in the Cappoccino, its tiny, I mean tiny. I have seen one on a track day in mondello, hilarious, kept up with the Lutus's on the bends.

The MX5 is a fantastic car too.

lightening wrote: »
    Where's Daddy! I love it....

You won't fit much in the Cappoccino, its tiny, I mean tiny. I have seen one on a track day in mondello, hilarious, kept up with the Lutus's on the bends.

The MX5 is a fantastic car too.
    My sister had an mx5 so dont want to seen to be copying her!!
    I have 2 boys so kinda need the room in the back to stop them killing each other!
    but wnt to keep insurance and tax down

I have 2 boys so kinda need the room in the back to stop them killing each other!
    but wnt to keep insurance and tax down

Yeah, the little Suzuki is not a runner then! The Peuguot 206 might be a goer?

I really like the Peuguot 206
    but I will look into importing the Peuguot 307
    I might only work out a little dearer (me hopes)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you'd pick up an old 900 convertible or 9-3 - maybe a volvo c70 they should have the room for you and the wee - uns and be relatively bulletproof.

the Saabs are not drivers cars (the scuttle shake is truly shocking ) but are a timeless - classless motor imo and for all budgets ( not sure about insurance if your young but any rag top will cost you )

Otherwise a 306 CC or Renault Megane CC if the budget stretches ( I would still have the 9-3 though )

edit.... oops I just read the title 'Small' Cabriolet - well you'll struggle to find a 'small' cabriolet that seats 4 to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

13k would have you close enough to a 99 plate honda s2000 from the uk. Only about 4k more expensive than an mx5 of the same year and worlds apart car wise!

Don't want to come across as a fanboy, but you'd also get a tidy enough BMW e36 3 series for that price, but it would be quite old.

A Volvo c70 would be a nice - you should get a 2000/2001 model for that money, but they start at a 2 litre engine. They look like they have decent space in the back.

I don't think the VW Golf has been mentioned - another one for the mix.

This link lists all convertibles under 13500 from a dealer. It lists this Astra which looks like it could fit the bill.

It needs to be a small engine hence the Opel Tigra query. The Smart Cabriolet looks great. Anyone ever driven one?

What's a "fanboy"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciarsymal

ciarsymal wrote: »

Yes, I've seen them. Is there actually any poke in them, seems like a noddy engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Yes, I've seen them. Is there actually any poke in them, seems like a noddy engine!

If you want a drop top with poke you're not going to get it with the hatchback crossovers like the 206, tigra etc.

Even the mx5 is a little underpowered for what it could be (S2000 performance would have been more appropriate for the mx5 considering its chassis!).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Nissan Figaro, seriously retro...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alpina wrote: »
    Nissan Figaro, seriously retro...

Was going to suggest that as soon as I saw the thread title, but you beat me to it!

Sweet little cars if you want something different and don't need it to be fast. Automatic, leather, 1 litre. Rare. You can get a good one well within budget and depreciation is almost non-existent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

She's a girl, of course she'll go for a 206 or 307 or maybe even a Megane soft-top! All are utter crap but chicks love 'em 'cos they're cute, cheap, newish and reasonably practical.

The suggestions above are all worthy but us petrol-heads have a completely different perspective!

unkel wrote: »
    Was going to suggest that as soon as I saw the thread title, but you beat me to it!

Sweet little cars if you want something different and don't need it to be fast. Automatic, leather, 1 litre. Rare. You can get a good one well within budget and depreciation is almost non-existent
    12K for a 1991 tarted up micra and you think 2K for a 106 is crazy money?!

pburns wrote: »
    She's a girl, of course she'll go for a 206 or 307 or maybe even a Megane soft-top! All are utter crap but chicks love 'em 'cos they're cute, cheap, newish and reasonably practical.

The suggestions above are all worthy but us petrol-heads have a completely different perspective!

Eh...NO! As I said I want something with a small engine so that rules out those models. I've never driven a 'cute' car in my life :eek:

As for the 'Figaro' I think that would be too much of a risk. They're 17 years old now and I'd worry about rust. I do like the 'Smart Roadster' though and they've had some very good reviews. I might test drive one and see what it's like. I could hate it!

Do you consider 1.6 to be a big engine? Also, I thought back seats were a must for you? I don't think the Smart Roadster has any at all.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do you consider 1.6 to be a big engine? Also, I thought back seats were a must for you? I don't think the Smart Roadster has any at all.

Yes, I think 1.6 is big! Back seats don't bother me, that was somebody else hijackin' my thread! Start yer own!

Advertisement