Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters in Malahade castle grounds

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I took the kids down to the Malahide castle grounds this past Saturday to play in the playground there, only to discover that the playground itself is closed for renovations.

The kids were obviously dissappointed, but with them being so fascinated with forests, jungles and so on, they quickly turned the situation into an oppertunity to wander into the forest (directly opposite the closed off entrance to the playground) - searching for the big bad wolf, gathering fire wood, general exploring, etc. As I stood keeping an eye on them, I smelled a fire, but since it was fairly windy I thought it was just someone starting up a BBQ in one of the picnic areas.

Suddenly, I heard a woman's voice shouting from within the foliage "Go away, I said go away!". "Hmmm, kind of rude", I thought. Maybe she did speak to the kids in a civilized way before but that I was just out of hearing range. Maybe she's bird watching, studying some form of wildlife or the like and doesn't want to be disturbed. So I called the kids closer, but kids being kids, and their curiousity obviously getting the better of them, they lingered around a few seconds longer. The woman started off at it again, then 2 male voices joined in too, shouting obscenities such as "Fcuk off" etc.

At this point any intentions I had to walk up to this woman to see what they story was and to maybe apologise for the kids disturbing her dissappeared and I immediately called the kids out and made a hasty retread.

I immediately reported the matter to the park rangers, this is essentially what I was told:

1. They are well aware of the people living there, the woman is notorious for the nuisance she causes and frequently there are a couple of males with her too.
    2. They have tried expelling them, but to no avail.
    3. The Gardai are aware of the matter but apparently have no powers to deal with the situation appropriately. Apparently they can not be evicted because they are homeless, so
    4. Fingal County Council's housing dept. was notified. They in turn set them up in some hostel, but a few days later they were back in the park again.
    5. Best is just to avoid them, keep out of that part of the forest, there's nothing anyone can do. Shrug.

:eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I knew the playground was closed for renovations, so I havent been for a while. But Im astounded those people are allowed to stay there. Ridiculous that nothing can be done with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Maybe they've just arrived early for the Clapton gig? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Release some bears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

maybe she was enjoying the freedom of nature and took two male companions along for some pleasent "company"

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

After everyone leaves at night, close the gates and RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Bugger, i love walking my dog through the forrest, oh well will bring him somewhere else, cheers for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

BostonB wrote:
    Release some bears.

Given the colourful language that OP has described, and the fact that they *prefer* to be outdoors than the home they were given...

I think they'd eat the bears.

FTW.

mm6_predator_photo_01_dp.jpg

Walked the dog there the other day, they have a tent set up, table full of food, clothes out drying etc.

No one there when i went by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Walked the dog there the other day, they have a tent set up, table full of food, clothes out drying etc.

No one there when i went by.

OMG! You've just stumbled across the Teddy Bear's picnic :eek::pac:

uh oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Pfft, it's times like this you just wann go down and turn them into scrambled eggs, infact, this friday tehy shall get it..;)

The kids were clearly doing no harm, talking to young kids like that is just uncalled for. Disgraceful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cursing at children is breach of the peace. Arrest and jail them for a week ot two and they'll move on, I'm sure there's a rarely used jail term in legislation that could be pulled out in times like this.

And before anyone says 'ah, they're homeless etc' - they've been ooffered accommodation and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

What ages are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Clare Bear wrote: »
    What ages are they?

Who?

Why?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I took the kids down to the Malahide castle grounds this past Saturday to play in the playground there, only to discover that the playground itself is closed for renovations.

The kids were obviously dissappointed, but with them being so fascinated with forests, jungles and so on, they quickly turned the situation into an oppertunity to wander into the forest (directly opposite the closed off entrance to the playground) - searching for the big bad wolf, gathering fire wood, general exploring, etc. As I stood keeping an eye on them, I smelled a fire, but since it was fairly windy I thought it was just someone starting up a BBQ in one of the picnic areas.

Suddenly, I heard a woman's voice shouting from within the foliage "Go away, I said go away!". "Hmmm, kind of rude", I thought. Maybe she did speak to the kids in a civilized way before but that I was just out of hearing range. Maybe she's bird watching, studying some form of wildlife or the like and doesn't want to be disturbed. So I called the kids closer, but kids being kids, and their curiousity obviously getting the better of them, they lingered around a few seconds longer. The woman started off at it again, then 2 male voices joined in too, shouting obscenities such as "Fcuk off" etc.

At this point any intentions I had to walk up to this woman to see what they story was and to maybe apologise for the kids disturbing her dissappeared and I immediately called the kids out and made a hasty retread.

I immediately reported the matter to the park rangers, this is essentially what I was told:

1. They are well aware of the people living there, the woman is notorious for the nuisance she causes and frequently there are a couple of males with her too.
    2. They have tried expelling them, but to no avail.
    3. The Gardai are aware of the matter but apparently have no powers to deal with the situation appropriately. Apparently they can not be evicted because they are homeless, so
    4. Fingal County Council's housing dept. was notified. They in turn set them up in some hostel, but a few days later they were back in the park again.
    5. Best is just to avoid them, keep out of that part of the forest, there's nothing anyone can do. Shrug.

:eek::eek::eek:
    I saw them too.. Well their remains anyways. Was playing man hunt there a while back.

The ditch that they set up beside is FULL of beer cans :(

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Who?

Why?

The squatters....just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

The Herald rang me about this, couldn't find anything myself.

Bit of a strange one. I understand the person has been moved off a couple of times now but continues to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭starwidow

which part of the forest? directly accross from the play area or one of the other ones?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

starwidow wrote: »
    which part of the forest? directly accross from the play area or one of the other ones?
    Yes. Walk out of the playground and keep walking straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I know its been a while since this post, I'm wondering are they still there.I had a conversation about this the other night and the other person ,I'm sure, thought I was mad.
    cathy

• Advertisement

cathy01 wrote: »
    I know its been a while since this post, I'm wondering are they still there.I had a conversation about this the other night and the other person ,I'm sure, thought I was mad.
    cathy

Yeah I've said this to a few friends who have lived in Malahide all their life and they think I'm mad too, they'd never heard anything!

Advertisement