Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa July Prices

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Found the following in my e-mail Inbox this morning.

Apparently it has already been released to the media, so I see no reason why not to post it up here. Alfa seem to be passing on the VRT savings/increases to the consumer anyway. Cheapest 159 is now the 1.9 JTDm 120 at €32,750.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 159 is THE best looking saloon on the road today. Bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

E92 wrote: »
    Found the following in my e-mail Inbox this morning.

Apparently it has already been released to the media, so I see no reason why not to post it up here. Alfa seem to be passing on the VRT savings/increases to the consumer anyway. Cheapest 159 is now the 1.9 JTDm 120 at €32,750.

so are you going to buy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It certainly looks very nice but I wouldn't be going all dewy eyed over one. To my mind the best looking Alfa is the 156 with the oh so sexy teledial alloy wheels. The 166 is also a stunner as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Biro wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 159 is THE best looking saloon on the road today. Bar none.

I disagree, it is a polished evolution of the 156 and is a handsome car. But it would barely make you look twice, move away from the great headlights it has little of interest. The 156 was a landmark car for Alfa, the 159 is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

alfas.... id Litterally rather kill myself then work on one again.... you charge the people though the teeth to fix them ( because no good mechanic wants to waste there time on them ) and still the idiots come back !! take a hint alfa drivers.

• Advertisement

I disagree, it is a polished evolution of the 156 and is a handsome car. But it would barely make you look twice, move away from the great headlights it has little of interest. The 156 was a landmark car for Alfa, the 159 is not.

I agree with your last statement alright, but the fact remains that the 156 looks dated now. The headlight cluster is the best aspect of the 159 alright.
    Seeing as the 156 is now dated looking, and even though the 159 is an evolution of it's design, I still stand by my statement that the 159 is the best looking saloon on the road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Biro wrote: »
    I agree with your last statement alright, but the fact remains that the 156 looks dated now. The headlight cluster is the best aspect of the 159 alright.
    Seeing as the 156 is now dated looking, and even though the 159 is an evolution of it's design, I still stand by my statement that the 159 is the best looking saloon on the road today.

I completely agree.
    I'm loving the 159 right now. Easily the best looking saloon around.

The only thing that would make me not get one is the possibility of getting a GT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Quite like the GT but any opinions on the selespeed gearbox or car in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I'd be wary enough of a selespeed.

Never really worked, lots of horror stories out there of them. But then again I suppose if it works, no ones gonna bother posting about it on a forum.

But as I said, IMO, stick with the Manual...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Depreciation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

S.I.R wrote: »
    alfas.... id Litterally rather kill myself then work on one again.... you charge the people though the teeth to fix them ( because no good mechanic wants to waste there time on them ) and still the idiots come back !! take a hint alfa drivers.

You would literally commit suicide than work on one again? Funny, yet very boring how Alfa threads always brings out the ridiculous hyperbole.

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Depreciation :(

Cheapest 06 diesel on Carzone is €23,950. That's about right for depreciation in that category of car. Thats for the lower bhp diesel.
    Take a 06 Saab, (shares diesel engines with the Alfa), cheapest on carzone is €21,000 for the 150bhp diesel, the more expensive one.
    Therefore the Alfa is holding its value better!
    Cheapest 2 litre diesel Passat (probably the best car in it's class for holding it's value) is €22,250, although that has more miles than the other two. But it's similarly priced when new.
    So in conclusion, the rarity of the 159 means that depreciation isn't as bad as you'd think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

yeah , but see how much the alfa sells for not the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Generally people who buy/own Alfa Romeos put depreciation/resale value at the very bottom of their list of attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

S.I.R wrote: »

i dont get this at all?

why did you find them so difficult to work on and did you deliberately rip people off when fixing them?

There are some excellent alfa mechanics out there, so you are wrong on that score too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

E92 wrote: »
    It certainly looks very nice but I wouldn't be going all dewy eyed over one. To my mind the best looking Alfa is the 156 with the oh so sexy teledial alloy wheels. The 166 is also a stunner as well.

Yep, stunning. I even think the pepper pot 16" alloys nearly look better then the 17" multi spoke wheels I have on mine. Glad to see Alfa passing on the savings to the consumer. Though I think Alfas should only have petrol engines but thats another matter entirely....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

I have a Alfa 159 1.9jtdm lusso full leather better than the Audi A4 130tdi sport I had :) I would have liked to get TI version just look @ it http://www.sidlowalfaromeo.co.uk/dealers/179/gallery/KQl9ZhKGMl.jpeg best looking saloon car on market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

prices may drop but it'll be down to road tax......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I have a 2005 (facelift) Alfa 156 M-Jet 16V with 127000 MILES on the clock and it has never given an ounce of trouble. Besides usual servicing and a minor glitch with the airbag ecu the car still drives like new. It has more power / a better ride and better holding than most cars in its class and it is constantly being complemented on its looks.

Couple that with the fact that the 159 was sent back 3 times to be re-designed and re engineered to make it more reiable, better built and a better car all-round. I am of the opinion that the 159 will prove to be the most successful and most reliable Alfa ever. I think this is being shown by the strong second hand prices being held.

Advertisement