Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Cycling Campain

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

I am organizing a cycling campain in work ... It suggested it to my work ... who took me seriously and decided to let me do it with their help. The event is for the end of June, and I am supposed to make as many people cycle in to work for the one day... I extended the idea to ' walk or take the bus or car pool ' ... leave your car at home type of event...

Have any of you even done that?

We'd have prizes for longest bike commute for example ...

If you have any idea, suggestions ... I have to present the event tomorrow.

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Free breakfast (or doughnuts or muffins or coffee) for those who cycle in.

Provide advice to those who need it (either directly or via a web page / FAQ), e.g. what to wear, route options etc.

Arrange a deal with a local shop for discounts on servicing / new bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Maybe focus on the health and money benefits. That's what people care about most.

Excellent idea Caroline, will mention it in work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Perhaps also emphasize the time saved commuting, especially if you know that you can come from a lot further away than some of them in their cars, in less time. Also play up how you feel alert when you get to the desk, and much less stressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great idea.

Could try and sell it like "Healthier staff = better workers" :pac: or something along those lines. You could probably try and get some sponsorship from one of the water companies like volvic/ballygowan etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Pure genius.

Now you be seen to use this website in work and say it's part of your research.

A master stroke!!!

Now get back to work. ;)

Just curious, is there any national type of 'bike week' like this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Well my original idea was to do an event around how to be healthy at work, i wanted to include the cycling campain/leave your car at home, Have the canteen prepare healthyer options, have a fitness instructor on site, a nutritionist to assess people's diet and give tips on healthty life style... but my original event is being moved from the end of July to the end of june, leaving me with less than 1 month to get everything sorted and I am not sure I can do everything on time. I am presenting the project to the communications deparment tomorrow and people who are interrested in green alternatives are also attending the meeting and will possibly be interrested in helping.

The probelm is ... a lot of people who live nearbyt drive in ... and to be honest, considering the size of some of them ... I very much doubt they'll be up for a cycle ...

I am also scared people might find me arrogant if I tell them I sometimes commute ( sometimes when i cycle from my BF's House ) 52Km a day on my bike to get work ... and wanting everyone to do the same ...

For some of us cycling is a sport ... for most of the rest ... it's a royal pain in the bum ....

For some of us cycling is a sport ... for most of the rest ... it's a royal pain in the bum ....

Just for the first week, after that it gets better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Well my original idea was to do an event around how to be healthy at work, i wanted to include the cycling campain/leave your car at home, Have the canteen prepare healthyer options, have a fitness instructor on site, a nutritionist to assess people's diet and give tips on healthty life style... but my original event is being moved from the end of July to the end of june, leaving me with less than 1 month to get everything sorted and I am not sure I can do everything on time. I am presenting the project to the communications deparment tomorrow and people who are interrested in green alternatives are also attending the meeting and will possibly be interrested in helping.

The probelm is ... a lot of people who live nearbyt drive in ... and to be honest, considering the size of some of them ... I very much doubt they'll be up for a cycle ...

I am also scared people might find me arrogant if I tell them I sometimes commute ( sometimes when i cycle from my BF's House ) 52Km a day on my bike to get work ... and wanting everyone to do the same ...

I'd be careful with the bold stuff above. Some of the staff might think it's none of your business and might not be too keen on that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'd be careful with the bold stuff above. Some of the staff might think it's none of your business and might not be too keen on that sort of stuff.
    This is common enough. I doubt she's talking about having people line up and be forced to be "tested", rather there'd be someone onsite and staff are free to go and have a chat to them or get some informational reading and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

Do you have a shower at work? You could have fresh towels/shampoo etc there in the morning for the week for those cycling in

keeffe2001 wrote: »
    Do you have a shower at work? You could have fresh towels/shampoo etc there in the morning for the week for those cycling in

That's a very good idea!!!!

seamus wrote: »
    This is common enough. I doubt she's talking about having people line up and be forced to be "tested", rather there'd be someone onsite and staff are free to go and have a chat to them or get some informational reading and so forth.

Yes of course I am not forcing anyone to measure their BMI and quit the crisps ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

keeffe2001 wrote: »

Thats key for me. Wouldn't cycle into work if the shower facilites weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

And for women especially - the bonus of a mirror and hairdryer is great!

Glowing wrote: »
    And for women especially - the bonus of a mirror and hairdryer is great!
    Ah yeah we have that, we have a gym onsite.

I might actually train in there tonight ... so much wind out there ... I am scared of turning into a cycling kite if I go out for a few hours now...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are lots of advantages to both employers and employees. For example, it is cheaper and more reliable timewise for employees to cycle to work while you can park 8 bikes in the space used by one car, which means employers spend less on employee parking.

St. Vincent's Hospital has set up a bicycle users group with about 50 members with the help of Dublin Cycling Campaign. Caroline, I'll send you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

How about doing group/department competition to foster competitive spirit.
    Something like, the group in which most members cycled in get group prize...

pan wrote: »
    How about doing group/department competition to foster competitive spirit.
    Something like, the group in which most members cycled in get group prize...
    I like that!

Just after my meeting and it's still very blurry as they just listetened to what I have to say ... no reaction ... a few nods ... people like the idea, but it's not for them ... people are so damn lazy!

Must put a report together now ... another one ...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Must put a report together now ... another one ...
    It might be handy to add a few forecasts: for example, project at what fuel price per litre will staff no longer be able to afford to travel to work in the old gluastain, and what are the options available: this will impact on the company's bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The RPA have a towel service for those who cycle or run to work, so you get a fresh towel in the office each morning, and you don't have to worry about drying it or taking it home. I guess it helps that their CEO is a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The RPA have a towel service for those who cycle or run to work, so you get a fresh towel in the office each morning, and you don't have to worry about drying it or taking it home. I guess it helps that their CEO is a cyclist.
    I've never seen this mentioned before, what's the story with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Igy wrote: »
    I've never seen this mentioned before, what's the story with it?
    I don't get your question. The story is as per my post. Do you have other specific question(s)?

I misread the post initially and thought you were referring to some sort of service they give to 3rd parties, sorry :)

Hrm, just to follow up I asked my work about this and well, I don't think they could have been any more negative. Not only do they not want people to cycle (they deem it dangerous) even suggestions for a presentation by the Garda Cyclists or someone else on safety for cyclists was shot down. They don't want people to cycle on work time which is understandable but they seem happy to ignore how people do cycle in! Hell, I even suggested mats in the toilets since it's manky to be changing in puddles of urine and that was ignored. Basically, everything cycling = bad.

I was quite shocked at the outcome. Has anyone else experienced this?

jeez thats bad. what sort of industry are you in, and how big is the company? I find the attitude really hard to understand! what the hell do they have to lose, yet look at all the potential gains.... wierd. I bet they've put in facilities for smokers though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Possible reasons for the cool response -

Ordinary bike = poverty
    Cycling clothing (lycra) = deviancy
    Cycle racing = drugs

OK, the above are not clever, but many people think like that. George Hooke of NewsTalk 106 had a discussion on cycling last week, and most responses were negative (lycra wearers, road hoggers, lawbreakers, don't pay road tax).

kincsem wrote: »
    NewsTalk 106 had a discussion on cycling last week, and most responses were negative (lycra wearers, road hoggers, lawbreakers, don't pay road tax).
    I absolutely love that last one... because we chose to ride a bike we couldn't POSSIBLY pay any "road tax", since if we did, we'd have a car, and why on earth would we choose to have a car and still cycle.
    muppets.

• Advertisement

If cyclists did pay road tax, would it ensure a flat surface clear of debris near the kerb? Possible some partially grade-seperated (such as at the customs house) cycle lanes?
    I'd consider supporting the idea if that were the case.

Advertisement