Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Cycling Campain

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

road tax ?

just exactly how much damage do cyclists do the road compared to a 5 axle truck ?

if you want to say that facilites for cyclists need to be paid for then so do pedestrian crossings and footpaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

kincsem wrote: »
    George Hooke of NewsTalk 106 had a discussion on cycling last week, and most responses were negative (lycra wearers, road hoggers, lawbreakers, don't pay road tax).
    Possibly because his audience were mostly car drivers stuck in traffic & phoning in on their hand phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You do realise that nobody pays road tax in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Igy wrote: »
    If cyclists did pay road tax, would it ensure a flat surface clear of debris near the kerb? Possible some partially grade-seperated (such as at the customs house) cycle lanes?
    I'd consider supporting the idea if that were the case.

Motortax doesn't achieve that for current road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think the idea's pretty simple... many people will cycle to work if it's easy for them to do so.
    Incentives include:
    Showers and lockers (the basics)
    Towels provided
    A good healthy breakfast that's as cheap as it would be to buy in the supermarket (or ideally free) - nothing too fancy, I'd say bread/toast + butter and jam, fruit juice/tea/coffee and possiby yoghurts or fruit.

In England, some companies will give you a voucher towards a new bike of about £300 a year if you waive your right to a car parking place and agree to cycle instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Incentives include:
    Showers and lockers (the basics)
    Towels provided

Hmm. I can't see many companies providing such facilities like towels as they cost money and time to organise. I think that showers as mentioned above and a secure place to lock the bikes are most important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need a secure place to lock a bike, yes. Shower sare not critical and very hard to get anyway. You can use a hand basin. Personally we use the disabled toliet as it has a basin, and chair and a bit of room. Theres too big a queue for the single shower we have. Bigger problem for us is somewhere to leave wet, sweaty clothes/shoes to dry/air. Lockers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

BostonB wrote: »
    You need a secure place to lock a bike, yes. Shower sare not critical and very hard to get anyway. You can use a hand basin.

Yea, but thats only for the really committed cyclists. Newcomers to cycling won't put up with trying to wash their body/hair in a small WC sink.

Advertisement