Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound on Sound this month

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Paul's favourite magazine has two particulary good articles this month.

There's a great dissection of the recording of Blondie's Parallel Lines.

Then theres an article on the recording of kick and snare where they A/B 5 or 6 of the "standard" mics for kick and for snare, as well as using the same mic at various positions. The files are online to be downloaded so you can make your own decisions. A great resource for anybody in the market for drum mics - I'm looking forward to downloading the files and checking it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

And best of all, you can download the files without buying the rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

squibs wrote: »
    Paul's favourite magazine has two particulary good articles this month.

Both very good articles!

The drum one followed a path I heartily recommend - Ask da lads what know!

Interesting too the fact that it's the same old Mics get pulled out, no matter how big the gig - 57s galore etc etc!

Also of interest to me was Alan Winstanley mentioning Woody from Madness' Ludwig Black Beauty. It's a drum I know well as I used sound check it every night when I was a humble roadie for Madness. It was/is superb, unlike his spare - also a Black Beauty, but a proper dog!
    We used to use a regular Remo Ambassador as a batter and the lightest snare head, (are they called Diplomats?) The light bottom head is a great way to get more natural top end from the drum.

The Blondie article was similar to a BBC Radio documentary on Mike Chapman that was on BBC Radio 6 a few weeks ago.

That guy's got a bigger ego than me !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I liked the kick drum tunnel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I live for that magazine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Well - I've briefly reviewed the files. I was expecting significant differences depending on positioning, but I wasnt expecting such a difference between the various mics. Its also depressing that I preferred the U47 sound in most of the tests - and I'm never gonna have one of those...

Sigh - back to my own cheap-ass mic locker (Sennheiser md515 and Joe Meek JM47)....

• Advertisement

Well - I've briefly reviewed the files. I was expecting significant differences depending on positioning, but I wasnt expecting such a difference between the various mics. Its also depressing that I preferred the U47 sound in most of the tests - and I'm never gonna have one of those...

Sigh - back to my own cheap-ass mic locker (Sennheiser md515 and Joe Meek JM47)....

Never say never!

You'll notice that SM 57's and Akg 451s are also mentioned as first preference mics. Easily affordable ......

Of course the next problem is what are they connected to :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

Its also depressing that I preferred the U47 sound in most of the tests - and I'm never gonna have one of those...

Buy an M-Audio Sputnik. If you can get your hands on an AKGC12 or a U47, a/b them with the Sputnik. Almost every review of this mic has said that the Sputnik lives up to M-Audios boast that

"M-Audio’s Sputnik mic signals the end of microphone envy. Based on a classic vacuum tube design and manufactured in state-of-the-art facilities to exacting standards, this multi-pattern, large diaphragm studio condenser delivers the lush, classic sound normally associated with rare and expensive vintage mics like the U47 and C12. Sputnik’s combination of a hand-picked military-grade vacuum tube, ultrasensitive evaporated gold Mylar diaphragm, solid brass construction, and multiple polar patterns makes it ideal for a wide variety of voices, instruments, and applications."

Here's the link to their product page.. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Sputnik-main.html

there are links to the various reviews from that page.

I bought one. I want to marry it, but my wife is having none of it. It's truly wonderful, and a steal at €470 in Thomann.

Hope that helps

Colin

I must try one of those, as you say, the reviews are very good.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I must try one of those, as you say, the reviews are very good.

Your friends in futuresounds might give you a go I'm sure. It really is great. I got mine from them.

Nice chaps to deal with.

bedbugs wrote: »
    Your friends in futuresounds might give you a go I'm sure. It really is great. I got mine from them.

Nice chaps to deal with.

I've already put in the request!!

• Advertisement

:d

:d

damn smilies...

:-/

Advertisement