Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sff build

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hola,

Im getting annoyed using a silly little htpc as a gaming pc and am in the market for something new, but small and quiet. I was thinking of the lian li v1010, but its not as small as it looks. So then i thought about getting a shuttle, but then cant handle a 8800gtx unless you bastardize the case. So i think ive settled with the nzxt rogue, reviewers say its the best sff case out there. Plus 5 120mm fans means it has decent cooling potential. But the real bonus is that it can hold a full size psu and 8800gtx. The only realy problem is a motherboard. M-atx's boards are not only rare as rocking horse shít, they are usually lacking alot of features :(

The best i can find is :

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343978

Seems to have all the features i want/need. But does anyone know of a better board ? It will either be using a e6600/q6600 or q9550.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

is the Lian-Li PC-V350 too big? I really like that case.

i was looking at a Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R a little while back. not sure if it has been obseleted already tho...?

i read somewhere that a g45 matx board would be out in june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I dont think the v350 can handle the longer cards :( I shoudl have added in that im hopign to get all the parts this week, so i cant wait till june for the g45 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

buggah.
    I bought a sp35p2 pro shuttle the other day to use as a games/media pc. I have a 8800 GT which fits no problem and this guy appears to have a gtx in his: (not sure if the case has been modded tho)
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17878674

Ah sweet. Thats handy to know it fits... Just. Its a bit worrying reading the temps their getting though. 80c on the gpu :o And im guessing that the gpu is adding to the high cpu temps.

Think i might stick with the nzxt rogue as it seems to be a fair bit bigger and has better cooling. Cheer for the link though ruggue, i might get that if i decide not to use the 8800gtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

I cant remember the exact board but theres a beast of an asus m-atx board going around.....some people even buying it for atx cases its that good at overclocking quads......its mentioned somewhere on boards.ie tho!!!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-257-AS&tool=3
    might be it.....it defo had hdmi

Also lol, the silverstone rig was too big, the htpc to small.....youll want a pico-itx build after this one hehehe!

*EDIT* yup thats it, forum full of users here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233021

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links Skuzzb. Im deffo going to grab that board ! Now i just need to find a cooler that will fit in the nzxt rogue !

From the looks of it@

173_25_full.jpg

There should be enough room to fit any cooler i want in it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

just a note, from the looks of it, that NZXT case won't support a HR03 cooler on your 8800GTX if you ever plan to get one to silence it. It looks like the PSU comes right down to the PCIe slot, and the HR03 needs a fair bit of headroom. There is always the zalman cooler option for the 8800GTX anyway.

Sweet looking case though. I like the crossflow fan setup and the headroom over the CPU cooler.

I don't think i will be getting the hr-03, I've no real need for it as the cooler on my 8800gtx is surprisingly quite compared to the others I've owned. I see what you mean about the psu though - there doesn't look to be anymore then 1cm gap between the top of the pci brackets and the bottom of the psu bracket. I do like the idea of fitting 4 hard drives, which means i don't have to have a few externals hooked up. Only other thing ill be looking for is ram and a psu. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the 650w corsair psu, if it was anything like my 620w corsair it will be great. Ram is the only thing left, i don't plan on doing any huge overclockign on this, so some 6400 or 8000 will do me fine. Anyone have any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ive got a Corsair 620Watt at the min! €100 if you want it :P :P :P

BTW what parts are left from the old build you were selling off, looking for a new case & cpu cooler at the minute!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer, but i can buy the 650w and the 620w for slightly cheaper brand new :)

I have a few bits left over, like 780i, 8gb ram, Q6600, few 500gb spinpoints, and some 36gb raptors. Unklerosco has bought them, just not collected them. Im giving him untill friday and then ill put them up for resale.

sign up to memoryc to receive their emails about their special offers. Theres no good RAM offers this week but they usually will have decent 4GB kits of PC2-8000 on sale for around €80 delivered. Can't go wrong with prices like that.

Cheers, Will certainly do that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Anti wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer, but i can buy the 650w and the 620w for slightly cheaper brand new :)

I have a few bits left over, like 780i, 8gb ram, Q6600, few 500gb spinpoints, and some 36gb raptors. Unklerosco has bought them, just not collected them. Im giving him untill friday and then ill put them up for resale.

Hey Anti,
    If Unklerosco doesn't work out i'll swap you a brand new Enermax 600watt pdu for one of those 500gb hdd's?

Nforce wrote: »
    Hey Anti,
    If Unklerosco doesn't work out i'll swap you a brand new Enermax 600watt pdu for one of those 500gb hdd's?

you have yourself a deal !

Sound...:cool: Send me a pm with your postal address and i'll send it out tomorrow :)

Well, unclerosco has to not turn up first :p

Sure...no problem:D

just a heads up on this weeks memoryc ram offer

4Gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC2-8000 (1000MHz) for € 81.07 inc vat

Cheere Leigh, ill order that now.

• Advertisement

Okay, Looks like my last 8800gtx will be going to a new home. So im looking for the fastest graphics card i can get for about 200€. what are my options? 8800gt, 8800gts 512, 9600gt 1gb, 3870 ?

Will be used with a 22" monitor so need to play games like css and wow at 1680*1050 with as much aa and af as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Elara have the 512mb GTS for 180, which is pretty good (i have an msi 512mb gts oc fs too) - plays COD4 at those settings you've mentioned fine and CSS would easily be hitting 150fps at same settings.

Of course those games are old enough that any card on your list would do it no problems. You can get 8800gt's off some of the German sites for 110-ish, hardwareversand had a 9600gt for 105 euro...though suppose it's only worth it if you're buying a few things. the 1gb 9600gt would be a waste, that extra 512mb would probably cause an fps hit rather then gain...they proved that with the 1gb 8800gt gainward were offering.

even the 8800gs, not in stock right now but at 91 euro it'll still run those games you've mentioned at 1680x1050 max settings with aa/af effortlessly.

but if you're intent on getting the best card rather then best value then I'd say a cheap 512mb gts is the best option to compromise between power and necessity.

This is what ive picked out so far:

Qty. Designation Unit Price Total
    [Remove CPU Heatsink Kit - 6 HeatPipes - Ultra-120 eXtreme - LGA775/AM2 from Shopping Cart] CPU Heatsink Kit - 6 HeatPipes - Ultra-120 eXtreme - LGA775/AM2 54,99 € 54,99 €
    [Remove Lighted Case Fan - 120 mm - 68 CFM - 21 dBA - XPF120.TR - Red LED from Shopping Cart] Lighted Case Fan - 120 mm - 68 CFM - 21 dBA - XPF120.TR - Red LED 7,99 € 47,94 €
    [Remove Compact PC Case - Aluminium - Rogue - Black/Red LED from Shopping Cart] Compact PC Case - Aluminium - Rogue - Black/Red LED 144,89 € 144,89 €
    [Remove ASUS P5E-VM HDMI - Motherboard - micro ATX - iG35 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID) - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - video - High Definition Audio (8-channel) from Shopping Cart] ASUS P5E-VM HDMI - Motherboard - micro ATX - iG35 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID) - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - video - High Definition Audio (8-channel) 118,49 € 118,49 €
    [Remove PCI-E Graphic Card - 512 MB - GeForce 8800GT OC - BFGR88512GTOCE from Shopping Cart] PCI-E Graphic Card - 512 MB - GeForce 8800GT OC - BFGR88512GTOCE 170,99 € 170,99 €
    Sub-Total (VAT inc.): 537,30 €

Im going with www.pc-look.com at the moment, as they are the only place that has everything i want in 1 shop.

How'd that deal go with Rosco,Anti?
    I've a spare Asus P5E3 mobo and ATi 3870X2, that I could be persuaded to part with;):p:D

Fraid the board would have to be matx, so im going with the one ive got listed. What would you be looking for for that 3870 ? And can you link me to that psu too ?

Sent ya a pm ;)

Advertisement