Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W200 Start time(s)

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Just noticed the start time detail within
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/2008/startdetails.shtml
    'Start Time: 7.00am for all riders.'

A question for those that have done the event before - is the intention to hold the entire field til 7am (or all early registers) ? Based on a list of times from last years event (and obvious safety reasons) Id assumed that once registered, people were free to head off.

Any clarification appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

interested wrote: »
    Just noticed the start time detail within
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/2008/startdetails.shtml
    'Start Time: 7.00am for all riders.'

A question for those that have done the event before - is the intention to hold the entire field til 7am (or all early registers) ? Based on a list of times from last years event (and obvious safety reasons) Id assumed that once registered, people were free to head off.

Any clarification appreciated.

I started at 6 last year. Plenty of people started well before that. You start as soon as you get your card scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Jeebus that's some early starting. Is that so you're well into it before the sun gets hot?

Edit: Just wondering has anybody received number/info yet?

dub_skav wrote: »
    Jeebus that's some early starting. Is that so you're well into it before the sun gets hot?

Yeah it was well early, but it was nothing to do with the weather. I wasn't sure how long it would take me, so I started early so that I wasn't going to be out too late.
    I think I'll start a bit later this year...maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The early start is the bit that scares me mostest! Body no function well so early in the morning....

kenmc wrote: »
    The early start is the bit that scares me mostest! Body no function well so early in the morning....

ah you boys! Some day I'll convert you to the early start.

• Advertisement

there's a very real danger of me doing it in my slippers and pjs given the early start. in fact don't be surprised if i show up on the girlfs' bike! I'm like a newborn baby in the early mornings - totally helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Maybe if I start early I'll get a few hours cycling out of the body before the mind wakes up and realises what is going on and starts to give out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

RtD wrote: »
    Maybe if I start early I'll get a few hours cycling out of the body before the mind wakes up and realises what is going on and starts to give out :o

That's the plan I'm going for too -I want to be ahve way up Sally Gap before my body realises what I've done to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

RtD wrote: »

That sounds like a plan !!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm aiming to be out of the blocks before seven as well. The early start means that as faster bunches pass, you can jump on the back for a bit. Way better than doing the whole thing on your own.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I'm aiming to be out of the blocks before seven as well. The early start means that as faster bunches pass, you can jump on the back for a bit. Way better than doing the whole thing on your own.

That's probably the best reason for an early start, do as much hanging on to the back of other people as possible.

dub_skav wrote: »
    That's probably the best reason for an early start, do as much hanging on to the back of other people as possible.

Once you hit the hills, it's really going to spread out. There is a good flat section after the Wicklow Gap, so it would be nice to be part of a group there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Raam wrote: »
    I started at 6 last year. Plenty of people started well before that. You start as soon as you get your card scanned.
    I'm planning on a very early start too (I think it was closer to 6:45 last year).
    A few reasons - so I can get home earlier, to avoid being in a group (I don't feel comfortable in a group) and to get some miles in before it gets too hot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

daymobrew wrote: »
    ...to avoid being in a group...

Masochist.

on the flip side; if you start last, you KNOW you won't be overtaken.... that's a psycological win right there!

Actually, here's something different.
    What sort of kit are ye all planning to wear/bring? Obviously it's weather dependent, but hoping against hope for decent weather, even on the sunniest of days at 7am it's pretty chilly - when cycling to work I'm in shorts, but am still wearing a base layer these days under a short-sleeve'd top. I'd guess that during the 200 that'd be overkill once it warms up a bit, but I need the pockets for food, not carting extra kit home.... any suggestions? Also I don't have a small rain jacket, I'm guessing that's worth getting in the meantime?

I don't feel the cold tt much so I'm just planning on shorts and a short-sleeved jersey with one of these in the back pocket:
    Light jacket (Just bought recently with the 200 in mind)

Jacket is in case of light showers and for descents. If it stays warm I won't use the jacket, if it buckets rain I'll be miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

that's a good point, was wondering what to wear. currently rocking the short-sleeved base-layer under the jersey, reckon the base-layer is small-enough to scrunch up into jersey pocket if i get too hot around noon.

also, what's the position on i-pods? i find it great when i'm out on my own and start getting the old "what the phukk am i doing with my time?! i'm getting off and walking home" feeling a few hours out. would it be frowned upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Are any of the boards.ie cycling group planning to meet at the start in UCD or is everyone doing their own thing ?

I might getthis so.... any comments on it- anyone got one? was looking a the montanes but there was some complaints here last week about one of them I think...?

• Advertisement

As long as there isn't a dramatic change in the weather, I'll be wearing a short sleeve jersey and shorts. If the morning's a bit chilly I might bring some arm warmers, but I'd rather not as its just one more thing to have in the pockets for the day.

Are any of the boards.ie cycling group planning to meet at the start in UCD or is everyone doing their own thing ?

I had thought that we might, but I guess it depends on how early people want to start. We should be easy enough to spot, as the boards jerseys are being sent out this week!

As for me, I'll wear a short sleeve base layer, jersey and will have arm warmers -apart from that, if I get cold I'll pedal harder!

Oh yeah, and apart from el_tonto, who here has ordered kit, but is in a club so won't be wearing the boards jersey?

Oh yeah, and apart from el_tonto, who here has ordered kit, but is in a club so won't be wearing the boards jersey?

Got to keep the sponsors happy!

As for meeting up, I had been planning on doing it with my mate Paul, but he's had to drop out, so I'm easy. Perhaps meet up early and all roll out together (and it would look cool with most people in the kit). I can see it getting split up though as the day goes on.

Got to keep the sponsors happy!

As for meeting up, I had been planning on doing it with my mate Paul, but he's had to drop out, so I'm easy. Perhaps meet up early and all roll out together (and it would look cool with most people in the kit). I can see it getting split up though as the day goes on.

That sounds like a plan. You can be sure that the group will split soon enough what with chancers like me hanging out with real cyclists.

Another thing. Has anyone figured out the road you're supposed to take between Donard and Kiltegan? W200 site is a bit vague and Google Maps just shows a maze of back roads. Will have to take a good look at a proper map beforehand to figure it out. Hopefully road marks will be up to scratch. Wouldn't fancy getting lost down that neck of the woods.

I'll wear the kit if it fits. What time do people propose to start at? I'll be starting with my bro' and probably RogerB anyways.

Another thing. Has anyone figured out the road you're supposed to take between Donard and Kiltegan? W200 site is a bit vague and Google Maps just shows a maze of back roads. Will have to take a good look at a proper map beforehand to figure it out. Hopefully road marks will be up to scratch. Wouldn't fancy getting lost down that neck of the woods.

Probably the same as last years. I think I posted up the route a while back in some other Wicklow 200 post. I'll stick it up again later this eve, unless someone does it first.

Raam wrote: »
    Probably the same as last years. I think I posted up the route a while back in some other Wicklow 200 post. I'll stick it up again later this eve, unless someone does it first.

It's different from last year. Apparently the coppers asked them to bypass Baltinglass.

• Advertisement

It's different from last year. Apparently the coppers asked them to bypass Baltinglass.

Aye, but it was bypassed lat year also, unless I was totally spaced out after the Wicklow Gap ;)

Advertisement