Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W200 Start time(s)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

dub_skav wrote: »
    That sounds like a plan. You can be sure that the group will split soon enough what with chancers like me hanging out with real cyclists.

Ah now, you were going pretty strong the day you were out with us.
    Raam wrote: »
    I'll wear the kit if it fits. What time do people propose to start at? I'll be starting with my bro' and probably RogerB anyways.

After reading about his exploits at the Sorrento 200, I think 'Fast' Roger should be banned from pace setting duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Dare I suggest meeting at 6.30 in UCD then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't feel the cold tt much so I'm just planning on shorts and a short-sleeved jersey with one of these in the back pocket:
    Light jacket (Just bought recently with the 200 in mind)

Jacket is in case of light showers and for descents. If it stays warm I won't use the jacket, if it buckets rain I'll be miserable.
    I'm going with this, wouldn't even bother putting the jacket on for descents, just for the rain. I went with shorts+short-sleeve top (and sandals) on the Mick Byrne 200 and was fine. Did get a bit cold up over Sally Gap but still fine as long as I kept moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

el tonto wrote: »
    I think 'Fast' Roger should be banned from pace setting duties.

I don't like that implication :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RtD wrote: »
    I don't like that implication :(

Now that you mention it, there should be a way of distinguishing between the Rogers. 'Fast' Roger and 'Buck(fast)' Roger???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As long as there isn't a dramatic change in the weather, I'll be wearing a short sleeve jersey and shorts. If the morning's a bit chilly I might bring some arm warmers, but I'd rather not as its just one more thing to have in the pockets for the day.
    I had full zip jersey, gilet and arm warmers. My gilet has been the most useful bit of kit I've bought. Very thin but the front is windproof.

Last year the arm warmers was taken off quite quickly. The gilet came off at Sally Gap. The jersey zip was well opened on the climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Ah now, you were going pretty strong the day you were out with us.
    I feel pretty strong and think I'll be okay, but seeing the ease some of you lads cycle with and seeing other lads out on the roads I know it's a different league, that's years of experience I suppose.

Still though I'll hang on to the pace as long as I can. I'll still "enjoy" myself no matter what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I feel pretty strong and think I'll be okay, but seeing the ease some of you lads cycle with and seeing other lads out on the roads I know it's a different league, that's years of experience I suppose.

Still though I'll hang on to the pace as long as I can. I'll still "enjoy" myself no matter what happens

Don't hurt yourself holding the pace early, you might pay for it at the bottom of Sliabh Maan. You will find a group at a pace that will suit. Above all, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Dare I suggest meeting at 6.30 in UCD then?

I'm fine with that. I have a friend doing it also so he'll probably come along then too.

Not sure what to wear myself. As long as the boards.ie kit arrives it'll be that with a short sleeve base layer and fingerless gloves (or should i go fullfinger - i have both). i have a water/wind proof jacket but its a bit bulky so weather dependent ill make that decision come Thursday or Friday next week.

One question what tyres do ye ride on in this? I need to get new ones as the standard ones that came with the bike have a nice big hole at this stage. Do ye go for the racing kind or the protection kind for this?

I am going to get Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin Tyre and some racing tyre. The racing one i'll use for the triathlons/duathlons i do and the gator for training but im undecided for this one seeing as its 200km. Also My bike (trek 1.5) has 700 x 25's as standard. Should i stay at 700x25's or should i drop to 700x23's? Would they fit ok? Perhaps the racing ones should be 23's and the gators 25's? Sorry new to cycling so i don't know the difference handling and performance wise but presumably the 23's wouldn't have as much grip but would be faster etc?

Then racing wise it seems its either going to be the Vittoria Evo Corsa CX or Continental GT 4000 from reading topics here but they only come as 23's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How the hell are we supposed to get a decent carb brekkie in before that start time? i usually get a big bowl of oats in around an 90 mins before I head out for the saturday spins, so get up around 8:30 or so. meeting at 6:30 for the W200 means getting up before 5 to get brekkie in.... my digestive system is still asleep at that time.... suggestions on a postcard please?

• Advertisement

Bambaata- if you are getting different sizes for racing/training then yes, I would go for the 23s for racing and the 25s for training. TBH though I think I would just go for 23s for both. 23s will grip just as well and be no worse puncture-wise. The only reason to go for 25 over 23 is improved comfort over poor road surfaces, so if you don't need this go 23.

I had a Gatorskin (700x23) on the back on the Mick Byrne 200 that punctured. I got around Wicklow fine last year on Bontrager Race Lites (also 700x23). It's the luck of the draw and I wouldn't worry about using racing tyres for the 200km, I certainly plan to (Schwalbe Ultremos if I get my new wheels in time.)

In terms of what to wear, we are all different in that regard but I would just wear what you would normally wear for a Sunday spin. I wouldn't worry about extra layers for the early morning as you will warm up quickly. Wiggle have a Descente Velom Jacket for £27 in their weekly special at the moment that looks like it would fold up really small, might be worth it.

thanks blorg. yeah comfort isnt an issue for me. ill go with 23's for both so. in a few months ill be getting new wheels so then i will have race wheels witht he race tyres and training wheels with the gators. for now i'll chop and change before each race

Ken- for this one, I have a slightly larger than normal pasta dinner the night before and then have a slightly larger than normal breakfast immediately before setting out. Nothing crazy with either. Eat my first energy bar just before the Liam Horner memorial in Glencree which pushes me over the Gap. Works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Might see if I can get an IV drip with sausage, Eggs and porridge in it. Get that to kick in at about 4:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

thanks for the responses lads
    My intention is to start early. With regard to getting food in for an early start Id second the advice of eating a slightly larger carbo-based meal the night before and also add that getting more than usual amounts of water in to you the day before can help. Stick to tried and trusted approaches for food etc the morning of if possible.

Good luck to all and lets hope the recent blustery conditions arent going to return

ive decided ill go with the Continental Grand Prix 4000. one thing theres a Continental Grand Prix 4000s tyre which seems newer? Wiggle have the 4000 at £44.54 for a set with tubes whereas the 4000s is 21.59 each (43.18 a set without tubes). anybody used the two or even just the 4000s type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey Blorg,didnt realise that was you in the sandals at the Mick Byrne on Sunday,you are an ironman,my gilet comes off to you and my arm warmers.

I had a pair of GP 4000 S on my bike, front one lasted about two hours of cycling before I destroyed the sidewall, completely my own fault*, as a few here will recall. Still though, back one is serving me well and I'm probably going to get one for the front again soon. I've never used the standard GP 4000 so can't really compare.

*well, whoever left the lump of concrete there takes partial fault

Sorry to hear that!? u go over at all? also as a noob i dont know the difference between a wire and folding tyre?

Bambaata wrote: »
    ive decided ill go with the Continental Grand Prix 4000. one thing theres a Continental Grand Prix 4000s tyre which seems newer? Wiggle have the 4000 at £44.54 for a set with tubes whereas the 4000s is 21.59 each (43.18 a set without tubes). anybody used the two or even just the 4000s type?

Contintental don't make it easy to figure it out. First of all, there is the original GP 4000, which came in a variety of colours. Then last year they launched the GP 4000S, which uses a new compound called 'Black Chilli', which is apparently much better than the old one. Now they are using the new compound on the regular GP 4000, which makes things a bit confusing. Basically you have to check if its the new GP 4000 or the old.

I use the GP 4000S and i've found them to be a great tyre. Very fast, hold the road well and don't get too many punctures.

• Advertisement

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Hey Blorg,didnt realise that was you in the sandals at the Mick Byrne on Sunday,you are an ironman,my gilet comes off to you and my arm warmers.
    Ha, thanks, what were you riding yourself- was I talking to you? My puncture gave me a graceful exit, saving me from being dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

RtD wrote: »
    I had a pair of GP 4000 S on my bike, front one lasted about two hours of cycling before I destroyed the sidewall, completely my own fault*, as a few here will recall. Still though, back one is serving me well and I'm probably going to get one for the front again soon. I've never used the standard GP 4000 so can't really compare.

*well, whoever left the lump of concrete there takes partial fault

It was a fun filled start to the day alright, good job we were in Dundrum!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that!? u go over at all? also as a noob i dont know the difference between a wire and folding tyre?
    A "standard" tyre uses a steel wire bead - this is a round steel wire going around the bead of the tyre that holds it on to the rim. As such the tyre will be round in shape and incompressible even when not on a rim.

A folding tyre uses a kevlar bead that can be folded. If you have to choose, a folding tyre is generally to be recommended; they are lighter, more portable and a easier to get on and off the rim.

Thanks again. I'll go with the 4000s as i see no reference to that new technology on the page about the 4000. must be the old. and thanks blorg! Soon i may understand the bare minimum about cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Here's another one for you. I have Vittoria Diamante Pro Kevlar Carbon (700x23) tyres on my wheels and just bought myself a spair for the W200. I find them a great grippy tyre and only €19.99 in cycleways.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

pro bike kit have good prices on continental tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey Blorg,I think i saw you on the side of the road before the 1st control point, dropped my arse you were going like a train,how did you stick the wind up on the gap with that gear on?,you looked like you were going on an easy sunday spin with the family,i was on an old Trek 1200,but with a compact i hasten to add...and you had no helmet on,am i right?,very funny.

Ha, thanks for the concern Bambaata, no didn't come off, I was doing about 2 miles an hour at the time. Was too busy waving at the lads as I arrived in Dundrum and wasn't watching where I was going. A lump of concrete on the cycle lane caused me to literally arrive with a bang. Luckily it was across the road from Joe Daly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

But the best part, omitted I notice, was when he replaced the tube he was pumping it up and it went bang again as he was pumping it up. Looking at the tube afterwards there was a little piece about the size of a 1c piece missing from it just gone - never to be found.... seems like the tube escaped out the size of the tirewall and made a little balloon which popped...

• Advertisement

Hi Bunnygreen, that would have been me on the side of the road all right! Up Sally Gap I wouldn't have minded a pair of arm warmers but was generally OK temperature wise as long as I kept moving- slowly- just a few goosebumps on the arms. I would have taken a bunch of cyclists in front of me over the arm warmers, the wind was savage.

Advertisement