Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts and Gyms in Cavan

Options
  • 26-05-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I posted a message in the fitness forum last week but I thought I would post it here also in the hope that a local will be able to answer my question.

Im moving to Cavan in July and as I will be living there for the forseeable future I need to make sure that I will still be able to keep up with my gym routine.

I currently go to a gym in Dublin that has a ton of free weights and also does a lot of martial arts clasess (kick boxing etc) so im hoping that there is a place in Cavan Town (or ideally Ballyhaise which is where I will be moving to) that has a gym with free weights (dont want a Jackie Skelly type place) and also a place that does marital arts classes. Ideally if the same place did both it would be great but if its 2 different places that is fine.

I have a car so travelling to the places is not a problem.

Anybody any recomendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Anybody :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

haven't use any gym (keep meaning do) there is a few in the town just can't think of their names. will pm you the details of them tomorrow.

don't know if any of them do martial arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 walshiesport

Gazzer, I currently run my own Gym in Cavan called Evolution Fitness, 33-35 Church St. Cavan. Nice and compact but everything there. Our number is <snip>. Give us a call and we will help you out. We offer Spin Classes, all different types of work out classes and have a free weight performance area also with Squat Rack, Olympic Bench, Chin and Dip Power Tower and Cardio Equipment also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gazzer, I currently run my own Gym in Cavan called Evolution Fitness, 33-35 Church St. Cavan. Nice and compact but everything there. Our number is <snip>. Give us a call and we will help you out. We offer Spin Classes, all different types of work out classes and have a free weight performance area also with Squat Rack, Olympic Bench, Chin and Dip Power Tower and Cardio Equipment also.

I've removed the number. Personal details via PM please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Gazzer, i live in ballyhaise, the community centre there does all kinds of keep fit stuff, there is also indoor soccer ..and... Tae Kwondo.
    I know that there is plenty of judo,karate and tae kwondo classes also in cavan town (5 miles from ballyhaise).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well, Ballyhaise is only a 5-10 minute drive from Cavan town, you'll find loads there. In the Sports Complex, there's a Sun Kune Do class every Wednesday (there actually was a class in Ballyhaise for a while last summer but it's stopped), and I think Judo is on a Thursday. The Scout's Den also has some classes I think - Tae Kwon Do possibly? I think I saw a poster for Ninjitsu somewhere around too. I'll try to get more accurate details, but I hope this is somewhat useful! Would definitely recommend Sun Kune Do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks everybody for the replies. Due to issues with my house sale and job training I havnt moved to Cavan yet. Will be moving up in 2 weeks time though. Also I have rented a house out in Drumgola Wood (out on the Old Butlers Bridge road) rather than move to Ballyhaise. Cant wait to move. Will be only 5 minutes drive from work though I am probably going to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Best of luck with the move! Might see ya at a class sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ruadh74

Hello, just spotted this forum, I know it's going back a long time ago since anything was posted on it but I thought it best to update everyone.

There are now Ninpo (Ninjutsu) classes in Cavan Town in St. Patrick's College, Pastoral Centre every Monday night (except Bank Holidays). Children's classes (ages 6 to 14 year olds) are at 6.15pm-7.15pm and adult classes are at 7.30pm-9.00pm.

Please contact Theresa on 085 7148462 for further information. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kitten88

Hi Ruadh74

Are you still running the ninpo classes, can you give me a bit more info for example are they good for shaping and toning? Where can i get intouch to find out cost and location of the classes??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

*falls off Chair*

.. misread that last thread... I thought someone was running nympho classes.

Where do I sign up?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I was looking into this myself (martial arts in cavan area) and I spotted this. Thought I'd add it to the thread. I know a few people who train in the organisation and they're dead on.

Kingscourt Shotokan Karate Club (Cavan)

Kingscourt, Co. Cavan.

Sensei Mark Maguire: Phone Club Secretary: 085 7532366

Mondays
    6.00-7:00pm

Fridays at
    6.00 - 7:00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Also found these - be nice to have the info on here for anyone searching...
    Dont know how up to date the info is but nice to have it available

Bailieborough Kararte Club
    Liam Cullen
    Community Centre,
    Bailieborough,
    Co. Cavan
    Tel: 087-9195573

Ballyjamesduff Kids Kickboxing Club
    Larry Mc Quaid
    St. Josephs Hall,,
    Ballyjamesduff,
    Co. Cavan