Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Florida and Michigan make much of a difference?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi

Was just having a look on CNN's Election Centre at the number of delegates that would have been awarded for FL and MI.

Based on the poll which took place in FL, it seems to me that even if Florida delegates were going to be seated, Hillary would still be way behind. (Roughly it would be 1730 to 1605 delegates in favour of Obama)

There were 157 delegates available for MI - so she's need nearly 80% of the delegates there - which wasn't even possible in places like West Viginia or Kentucky.

So why is she still hanging on?

Would it make much of a difference in the popular vote?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bearing in mind that they're pretty reasonably sized States for the Electoral College, I'll wager much of the argument is that "Look, I can take them against McCain, and with the boost provided by seating them at the DNC, I don't need to convince as many Superdelegates to swing over in my direction"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Seating Florida at the convention would have more of an impact in her favour because both Obama and her were on the ballot in Florida. In Michigan he wasn't on the ballot (as he was playing by the party rules), so i can't see how she can claim much political capital from that particular "victory".

Not sure about the numbers in the popular vote. Overall i think he'll still be the nominee and she is preparing a graceful (for her) exit.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the Dems' Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting on Friday - more as a barometer reading of what way they're thinking at the moment. If it's a flat no to her, i think this will be over sometime next week. If they reach some sort of compromise, she might drag it out for another couple of weeks

Advertisement