Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walter P22 ?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I am looking to get a New Walter P22.

Does anyone know any good Gun Shops in Meath/Dublin/Louth that would sell these ?

And also opinions if any on this Pistol ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Meant to be notoriously ammo-fussy and basically inaccurate. There are better pistols, like the Browning Buck Mark, and the Hammerli Exesse, for the same money or less. Don't really shoot pistol, so will let others add more, but people seem widely dissatisfied with them, so it's quite probably worth your while going for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

.22 Pistols to avoid: SIG Mosquito and Walther P22!

Some damn fine ones for the money: Ruger MkIII, Browning Buckmark, Hammerli X-Esse....

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

They look good but that's about it..

I know one guy that loves his P22. He is the only one I know that has anything good to say about them and several of my friends bought them initially when pistols were 'reintroduced' , and got rid just as quick.

Avoid like the plague . The CZ Kadet is another great .22 pistol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I got my Sig Mosquito last September, heard all the rumours on the net about them being very ammo fussy and not that great. Well i can honestly say that mines is the complete opposite....So far ive fed it CCI Mini-mag, Stingers and Blazers, along with Remington, Federal and some cheap stuff that my club bought and it fires them all.
    Im not saying that i dont get FTF's and FTE's but there not extactly unknown in .22lr, had a fair few in the rifle over the last few years. I was at the range on Sunday and fired off 400 rounds, had around 4 or 5 failures, but they where my fault as i limp wristed the recoil, im right handed but left eye dominate so tiring to fire left handed...:(
    I havn't had any work done to it, havn't polished the feed ramp or anything like that. I think that they are a good pistol, thats my two cents worth...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Avoid like the plague . The CZ Kadet is another great .22 pistol.
    + 1
    Im not saying that i dont get FTF's and FTE's but there not extactly unknown in .22lr
    It is pretty much for quality .22 pistols that are kept clean.
    I was at the range on Sunday and fired off 400 rounds, had around 4 or 5 failures
    I would not be happy with that result. I have seen sevral thousand fired through a Buckmark without any failure, but it was kept very clean.
    .22 is dirty ammo!

I wish you luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Do a search on this forum for the Walther P22 .net. You'll get a fair idea of what it's like and what people think of it.

The Sig Mosquito is marginally better in that one out of every six or seven owners seem to be happy with it.

In a benchrest pistol competition in Rathdrum a couple of months ago, the P22 came dead last with around 150/300. A Hammerli came first with around 290/300.

That's the difference. With the good pistols you can also buy second hand with confidence.

One final point. The dealers here can't stock new pistols, they have to be imported to order for a licence holder. Anything that's 'on the shelf' is second hand, and is it just a coincidence that a lot of dealers have stock of P22's and Mosquitos?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv fired the P22, the buckmark, the Kadet, the sig and a few others. I would put the P22 is at the bottom of the list of prefered .22lr pistols, very small hand grip like it was made for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rew wrote: »
    Iv fired the P22, the buckmark, the Kadet, the sig and a few others. I would put the P22 is at the bottom of the list of prefered .22lr pistols, very small hand grip like it was made for a child.

What's at top of list? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Vegeta wrote: »
    What's at top of list? :D

The buckmark if your looking for target pistol without going down the route of a serious target pistol or the Kadet if you looking for the size/feel of a full bore pistol but the cost of rim fire ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rew wrote: »
    The buckmark if your looking for target pistol without going down the route of a serious target pistol or the Kadet if you looking for the size/feel of a full bore pistol but the cost of rim fire ammo.

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

fishdog wrote: »
    + 1

It is pretty much for quality .22 pistols that are kept clean.

I would not be happy with that result. I have seen sevral thousand fired through a Buckmark without any failure, but it was kept very clean.
    .22 is dirty ammo!

I wish you luck with it!

I keep it very clean and dont get any failures due to dirt, as i said it only failed because im just starting to shoot with my weak hand only.....Usually i will go through 400 to 500 with no failures....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Where can you buy those hammerli pistols?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Where can you buy those hammerli pistols?

I've seen Frankonia mentioned here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

They also have a second hand Hammerli in very good condition.

Advertisement