Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 story arc...

• 26-05-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

okay, so the new mid-series ad has got me thinking and i may be reading into things far to much but could RTD have been dropping clues about season 4 as far back as the sarah jane adventures, torchwood series 1+2 and even doctor who series 1? heres what i'm thinking (please correct me if im wrong!).
    1)In SJA i remember her being arrested and her being released because of "a friend" ? also in torchwood it was said Martha got her job in unit through recommendation from "a friend" it was assumed it was the doctor but he didn't confirm this this series, did he?
    2)The darkness! this has been a recurring theme in torchwood since "they keep killing susie" in series 1. and rose in the ad saying "its coming from accross the stars... the darkness" was very similar to some torchwood dialogue.
    3)The alternate universe and the doctor. in series 1 the doctor kept calling micky ricky (ricky was the name of alt. micky) he also said he knew the name harriot jones (she is the president of alt. earth, ya?)

im not sure what any of this means (if anything!) but feedback would be much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

okay, so the new mid-series ad has got me thinking and i may be reading into things far to much but could RTD have been dropping clues about season 4 as far back as the sarah jane adventures, torchwood series 1+2 and even doctor who series 1? heres what i'm thinking (please correct me if im wrong!).
    1)In SJA i remember her being arrested and her being released because of "a friend" ? also in torchwood it was said Martha got her job in unit through recommendation from "a friend" it was assumed it was the doctor but he didn't confirm this this series, did he?
    2)The darkness! this has been a recurring theme in torchwood since "they keep killing susie" in series 1. and rose in the ad saying "its coming from accross the stars... the darkness" was very similar to some torchwood dialogue.
    3)The alternate universe and the doctor. in series 1 the doctor kept calling micky ricky (ricky was the name of alt. micky) he also said he knew the name harriot jones (she is the president of alt. earth, ya?)

im not sure what any of this means (if anything!) but feedback would be much appreciated! :D

I would think its more a case of RTD trying to lash everything together in his last full series tbh rather than something hes been seeding, but I am a cynic like that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Definatly a probable possibility SDooM! and we all know how much he likes to interconnect his shows giving the idea of a whole whoniverse!

I have a theory myself.

Theres been no doctor light episode this series.

I reckon something is going to happen to him- possibly to do with
    Davros
    - which "kills" or disables or somehow removes him from the plot.

Rose in her new superhero guise will unite all the people who the Doctor "trained" or affected into a little army to stave off the coming hordes.

Think about it from a story telling point of view- the more assistants, the less time each gets. Something has to give.

Complete fan speculation but that to me seems to match RTD's mindset greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Isn't RTD out of the loop now? I thought Steven Moffat was taking over....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he's taking over in 2010
    still another year and a bit of rtd to go

• Advertisement

he's taking over in 2010
    still another year and a bit of rtd to go

Not as bad as it sounds though, he's only got the end of this series and 4 specials to do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I very much doubt RTD has plotted this far in advance other than a rudimentary scattering of vague ideas - having people mutter "the darkness!" every now and then and in S4 finally deciding what it is.

Here's how it could be knocked out for example:

The shadows in the next episode are the dark reflections of us. These are in the library because there all human knowledge is stored, including all our evil and it has manifested itself as these shadows. The darkness, in turn, is the amalgamation of all of these shadow - of all the evil ever to plague us down through the ages.

Davros, from a parallel universe, uncovers how to harness this energy and plans to use it owards his own ends. To this end he captures the Doctor and brings out the Doctor's pain and anger by forcing him to confront his own part in the destruction of Gallifrey to thwart the Daleks. The Doctor slow succumbs...

Meanwhile Rose, aware of the power of the Darkness (from her work with alternate Torchwood) arrives on our Earth. Unable to find the Doctor (currently with Davros), she teams up with Captain Jack and Martha to save the Doctor. Whilst she's doing this, Donna manages to escape from the Daleks as she learns to face her fears and stand for herself - she runs free in a dramatic ten minute run sequence, involving everyone's favourite sonic screwdriver.

Teaming up, the gang must free the Doctor by making him realise his worth. This involves reminding him of all the good he has done for us, for humanity, and for the companions and how he may be the last of the Time Lords but he's the first with them. The power of the Doctor's realisation breaks free and enables him to disperse the shadows, the evil and all the hurt, away with the power of hope that he represents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

SDooM wrote: »
    I have a theory myself.

Theres been no doctor light episode this series.

I reckon something is going to happen to him- possibly to do with
    Davros
    - which "kills" or disables or somehow removes him from the plot.

Rose in her new superhero guise will unite all the people who the Doctor "trained" or affected into a little army to stave off the coming hordes.

Think about it from a story telling point of view- the more assistants, the less time each gets. Something has to give.

Complete fan speculation but that to me seems to match RTD's mindset greatly.

Yeah if
    the doc goes missing for an ep it could also be because of that alien that was in SJA i dunno what it was called but it removed people from time and space...
    also in "school reunion" sarah jane did tell rose to call her when she needed her.

ixoy wrote: »
    I very much doubt RTD has plotted this far in advance other than a rudimentary scattering of vague ideas - having people mutter "the darkness!" every now and then and in S4 finally deciding what it is.

Here's how it could be knocked out for example:

The shadows in the next episode are the dark reflections of us. These are in the library because there all human knowledge is stored, including all our evil and it has manifested itself as these shadows. The darkness, in turn, is the amalgamation of all of these shadow - of all the evil ever to plague us down through the ages.

Davros, from a parallel universe, uncovers how to harness this energy and plans to use it owards his own ends. To this end he captures the Doctor and brings out the Doctor's pain and anger by forcing him to confront his own part in the destruction of Gallifrey to thwart the Daleks. The Doctor slow succumbs...

Meanwhile Rose, aware of the power of the Darkness (from her work with alternate Torchwood) arrives on our Earth. Unable to find the Doctor (currently with Davros), she teams up with Captain Jack and Martha to save the Doctor. Whilst she's doing this, Donna manages to escape from the Daleks as she learns to face her fears and stand for herself - she runs free in a dramatic ten minute run sequence, involving everyone's favourite sonic screwdriver.
    Teaming up, the gang must free the Doctor by making him realise his worth. This involves reminding him of all the good he has done for us, for humanity, and for the companions and how he may be the last of the Time Lords but he's the first with them. The power of the Doctor's realisation breaks free and enables him to disperse the shadows, the evil and all the hurt, away with the power of hope that he represents...

Ok, I'm not cynical, you are. :)

I could see this being rather close to the truth though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Something actually occured to me the other night, specifcally around the Ood's comments that the Doctor's
    "Song would end soon". In the Silence in the Library, a main character is called "River Song" & rumours suggests the Doc & her might have something of a ... ... coming together, shall we say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Since this is all idle (creative!) speculation and not fact, why is everyone using spoiler tags?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr E wrote: »
    Since this is all idle (creative!) speculation and not fact, why is everyone using spoiler tags?
    Davros is the Doctor's half-brother! But was born a woman! With rose the mother!

Huh? Sorry, you say sommit?

Mr E wrote: »

Well, I mentioned characters appearing later in the series which aren't common knowledge, thats why I did. Also
    its fun

pixelburp wrote: »
    Davros is the Doctor's half-brother! But was born a woman! With rose the mother!

Huh? Sorry, you say sommit?

This is yet another excellent time for a "yore ma" joke but I cant quite put my finger on it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

although i can see where you're coming from I'd prefer if it was just a lot more simple. Darkness = void space. The Daleks were all dumped there, it seems that perhaps Rose is fighting the parrellel Daleks and Davros, and they come here so does she and we're in this problem of the void seeping into our Earth or something.

What I know for 100% fact is that the Rani, Romana and Tom Baker are in the final scene, in a photograph down the back of the sofa 15.32 mins in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Nah, far too Buffy even for RTD!

Briony Noh wrote: »
    Nah, far too Buffy even for RTD!

You sure about that? :) Nu Who is very Buffy. He likes his whoniverse alot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kroton

I'm just wondering how much moffatt was allowed to start things up for his tenure. I mean its a way off at the moment but was he seeding thing in silence? ie does river song mean anything more this season or will it be more for five?

mind you she could never be mentioned again... which would be a shame.

Kroton wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how much moffatt was allowed to start things up for his tenure. I mean its a way off at the moment but was he seeding thing in silence? ie does river song mean anything more this season or will it be more for five?

mind you she could never be mentioned again... which would be a shame.

Well Jenny was apparently saved at his request, so maybe he has had an influence... I do know that the decision had been made before season 4 even started (the two of them discuss it in the forest of the dead commentary)/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kroton

Well Jenny was apparently saved at his request, so maybe he has had an influence... I do know that the decision had been made before season 4 even started (the two of them discuss it in the forest of the dead commentary)/

oh good more jenny!
    not heard the commentary yet - got a long drive on fri so something to listen to then.

OT still not been abel to get the comm for fires of pompeii - does anyone know where i can get the full thing please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement