Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be frank with me.

Options
  • 26-05-2008 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Went on what felt like a very long spin on Sunday, in preparation for the Wicklow 200. From home in Smithfield, through Dundrum, Glencullen, Sally Gap, Scalp, Enniskerry, Stepaside, back to Dublin, then out to Howth, up Howth Hill, and back home. All told, about 77 miles according to bike computer. Took 6.5 hours, 6 in the saddle. I don't intend going much further on a spin ahead of the Wicklow, and my question is...

Am I ready? I have no clue, kind of getting the fear about the distance but was happy to get the miles in. Seriously, if yizzer think I'm better off staying at home or doing the 100 instead, say it.

*fishing-for-compliments-o-meter OFF*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds good to me. especially considering there would have been a load of traffic lights between dundrum and howth, circa 130km
    I'd say the hoards of screaming fans will be worth another 70km, so you're done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Went on what felt like a very long spin on Sunday, in preparation for the Wicklow 200. From home in Smithfield, through Dundrum, Glencullen, Sally Gap, Scalp, Enniskerry, Stepaside, back to Dublin, then out to Howth, up Howth Hill, and back home. All told, about 77 miles according to bike computer. Took 6.5 hours, 6 in the saddle. I don't intend going much further on a spin ahead of the Wicklow, and my question is...

Am I ready? I have no clue, kind of getting the fear about the distance but was happy to get the miles in. Seriously, if yizzer think I'm better off staying at home or doing the 100 instead, say it.

*fishing-for-compliments-o-meter OFF*

Sounds brilliant, with times and distances like that, you'll probably be the first one home, no one could touch you....

Compliments aside, I'd say you'll be ok... not that I really know having not done it, but you may as well push yourself :) It's what I aim to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

kenmc wrote: »
    sounds good to me. especially considering there would have been a load of traffic lights between dundrum and howth, circa 130km
    I'd say the hoards of screaming fans will be worth another 70km, so you're done! :D

cheers, i think it was your route to sally gap i took aswell, nice. i like to think that the bastarding headwind all the way to howth added a few miles aswell.
    Sounds brilliant, with times and distances like that, you'll probably be the first one home, no one could touch you....

Compliments aside, I'd say you'll be ok... not that I really know having not done it, but you may as well push yourself It's what I aim to do!

woo! you are joking, but that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

cheers, i think it was your route to sally gap i took aswell, nice. i like to think that the bastarding headwind all the way to howth added a few miles aswell.

Absolutely.
    With regards to the distance, my longest spin this year was 75 miles and I think I will be ok for Wicklow. By the way, with less than two weeks to go, I dont think you should be looking to do anymore very long spins...

Absolutely.
    With regards to the distance, my longest spin this year was 75 miles and I think I will be ok for Wicklow. By the way, with less than two weeks to go, I dont think you should be looking to do anymore very long spins...
    i was going to ask that aswell. reckon i'll just go home-howth-home on sunday, about 20-25 milesish, maybe cycle into college on monday and tuesday next week (10 miles per day) then leave it at that. does that sound right?

• Advertisement

yeah I'm planning on a medium one on saturday, maybe one 'mountain', just to test the knees out. Will do a bit tonite and thurs, a few 30kms next week and that's it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

77 miles = 123 km. Most people on here are doing those kind of distances to train for the W200, so you should be alright.

Any reason why you doubled back in Wicklow and went out to Howth?

Personally I don't see the harm in doing a long one next weekend either. I don't think it takes that long to recover.

el tonto wrote: »
    77 miles = 123 km. Most people on here are doing those kind of distances to train for the W200, so you should be alright.

Any reason why you doubled back in Wicklow and went out to Howth?

Personally I don't see the harm in doing a long one next weekend either. I don't think it takes that long to recover.

turned back because it's the only route i know. saw the sign for roundwood and thought about heading out there, but wasn't sure of it so went the way i knew. i think "chickened out" is the term i'm looking for.

however, you lose marks for making me do it again next weekend. i was looking forward to taking it easy!

turned back because it's the only route i know. saw the sign for roundwood and thought about heading out there, but wasn't sure of it so went the way i knew. i think "chickened out" is the term i'm looking for.

however, you lose marks for making me do it again next weekend. i was looking forward to taking it easy!

But Tonto is a masochist, so he would say that -he told us all that Saturday's spin was an easy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Did my last long spin yesterday because I'm away in Edinburgh on the lash next weekend.

Not the best preparation, but I hope the work I've done will stand to me.

77 miles in 6 hours cycling sounds good to me, better than I managed yesterday and I'll be going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You should be fine. How did you feel at the end? If it was below "absolutely and utterly fecked" you will do well come the day! Even if it was "absolutely and utterly fecked" you should still survive, 123 km was around the Slieve Maan stage last year and people were looking pretty tired at that point.

blorg wrote: »
    You should be fine. How did you feel at the end? If it was below "absolutely and utterly fecked" you will do well come the day! Even if it was "absolutely and utterly fecked" you should still survive, 123 km was around the Slieve Maan stage last year and people were looking pretty tired at that point.

actually didn't feel too shattered at the end. had a bit of a downer around clontarf but my last few fig rolls and a five minute breather sorted me right out. was grand on the short, steep climb at howth.

kinda looking forward to the thing now after the responses. looking forward to the dirty pint of guinness at the end too. i can almost taste it...

actually didn't feel too shattered at the end. had a bit of a downer around clontarf but my last few fig rolls and a five minute breather sorted me right out. was grand on the short, steep climb at howth.

kinda looking forward to the thing now after the responses. looking forward to the dirty pint of guinness at the end too. i can almost taste it...

The pints, and the massage I hope to get on Monday morning (got the day off work), are what will attempt to get me up Slieve Maan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I haven't done a 100k+ cycle in over two months in fact nothing even close to it. I do commute 20 miles a day and race on Wednesday nights but I feel totally unprepared for 200kms over the Wicklow mountains. I'm going to go out with Swords CC on their 130km radonnee this weekend to see if I've got another 70k in me after to contemplate the W200. I might end up doing the W100 but it's not got Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap or Slieve Maan :( which is really what I want to do. If I remember correctly I clocked 120kms at the top of Slieve Maan (someone correct me) and at that stage all the really tough work is done. hummmm.

Zork, you're sorted and will have no worries on the day. Remember to bring a spare tyre on the day. I blew out at the top of Wicklow Gap and had to wait ages for the service van for a new (and their last) tyre.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Remember to bring a spare tyre on the day.
    Hey Buckfast, that's probably aimed at you :D

So now in addition to clothing, what other stuff do we need to bring....
    I always have
    2x tubes and patches
    mini pump
    tyre levers.

who takes spanners/allenkeys/chaintool? Spare chain link pin? where do you stop with the list of tools and bits?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

who takes spanners/allenkeys/chaintool? Spare chain link pin? where do you stop with the list of tools and bits?

I take a multi-tool which has a lot of allenkey sizes on it. I'm sure you've seen them, kinda like a swiss army knife. Can be very handy.

this is all fierce reassuring altogether, thanks gents. will prob suffer a fair bit but just want to be sure that i won't explode.

as regards kit, i tend to bring:
    multi-tool yoke (allen keys, wrenches, phillips screwdriver in one handy package)
    patches, glue and tyre levers
    pump
    cold, hard cash.

will have to get some tubes and tyres. it's going to be a snug fit in the saddle bag and No Mistake.

I would bring:

On bike
    2x waterbottles, one with water, one with sport drink-type thing
    1x Cateye Mity computer
    1x Garmin Edge 305 GPS
    1x Mini-pump
    1x Presta-Schrader adaptor allowing you to inflate to full pressure at petrol stations (careful though)

In jersey
    1x Money+Credit card+ATM card
    1x keys
    1x Montane ultralite smock
    1x mobile phone
    1x camera
    5-6x Nutrigrain bars
    1x event card

In saddle pack
    1x spare tube
    1x pre-glued patch set (Park Tool)
    1x Multitool (allen keys+screwdrivers)
    1x 10/12 spanner
    2x tyre irons
    4x zip-ties
    1x mini-lock
    1x tube of superglue (tiny, and handy for things like your shoes coming apart)

Now there's a man who's prepared.

If you think you're bad with two computers, my father in law uses three!

I think this guy trumps him:

behemothwisc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

The best rule of thumb I've found is that if you have already done two thirds of the distance you'll be grand on the day(i.e if the route is 100m and your best spin to date is 75m,you will be fine on the day)Hope this makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I found the opening post interesting, because I did a similar ride on Sunday - Stillorgan, Sandyford, Kiltiernan, Enniskerry, Glencree, Sally Gap, Roundwood, Laragh, Wicklow gap, Hollywood, then home by Blessington, Tallaght.
    Distance 127.88km, time 6:06 (actual 6:28), average 20.9k/h.
    I'm 57, and did the W100 in 2006. No cycling since then until 21/04/08, and I have been out nine times.
    A headwind for the last 40k from Hollywood left me super wrecked, and I decided the W200 would be too much. Probably do it anyway.

Kincsem- I'd say you would well manage the 200. The 100 is a very flat route with little climbing and I don't think you would find it much of a challenge. It's basically out to Roundwood, Laragh and Rathdrum the flattest way possible (albeit up by Djouce Woods but this is a short climb that is in no way difficult.)

If you have already done 128km, taking in two of the three significant climbs in the 200 (Sally Gap and the Wicklow Gap) and done it Sunday with the wind to boot, you will do the 200 grand. Slieve Mann (the third climb) is actually not even a difficult climb (IMHO) - it's more where it comes in the day that causes the issue. The main climb is only around 200m climbing and there is a long 2% gradient section slam bang in the middle of it to give you a rest. Climbed it without bother on Sunday (albeit slowly!) despite the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

My usual kit is a tube, repair kit (including tyre levers) and a multi tool. Think I'll pack a tyre, an extra tube and a presta - schrader adapter for this too.
    Apart from that it'll be nutri-grain bars and some isotonic powder

Out of interest- why three? As I have been considering getting a mapping GPS for touring (I get the impression that these are both cheaper and do the mapping better than an Edge 705 would, and I can keep the 305 for the bike stuff.)

Out of interest- why three?

Well, first of all he's a complete technophile and if there's any excuse to buy a new gadget, he will.

The main one is a Campag Ergobrain, which does the usual speed/distance/cadence stuff in addition to telling you what gear you're in. It's also integrated with the shifters, in that you can change the display using buttons on the brake hoods. Then he's got a Polar heart rate monitor and another computer (a VDO I think) that does altitude and gradient. You'd swear he was piloting the space shuttle. I'm always expecting to visit and find a Garmin also strapped to the bike, but maybe he hasn't found out about that one yet.

I have 2, one is the Shimano flightdeck - same idea as the ergobrain, it's very useful for the hood-mounted buttons, and the gear indicator since my brifters don't have the little window in them and I hate having to look down to guess what cog I'm in at the back. Wiggle had a sale on there recently and I got it cheap, otherwise wouldn't have, cos it runs around 100euro including mounting, i got it all for less than 40.
    Then I have the Forerunner 305 which does HR, grad, alt, mapping etc and loads more info, but I tend to have that on auto-rotate screens so if I want to see speed at a glance the flightdeck always shows that.

I have 2, one is the Shimano flightdeck - same idea as the ergobrain, it's very useful for the hood-mounted buttons, and the gear indicator since my brifters don't have the little window in them and I hate having to look down to guess what cog I'm in at the back. Wiggle had a sale on there recently and I got it cheap, otherwise wouldn't have, cos it runs around 100euro including mounting, i got it all for less than 40.
    Then I have the Forerunner 305 which does HR, grad, alt, mapping etc and loads more info, but I tend to have that on auto-rotate screens so if I want to see speed at a glance the flightdeck always shows that.
    Very interesting Ken, out of interest which of these bits did you need? Was fitting easy enough? I am planning on replacing my bars anyway so might be the time to consider adding one of these into the brifters. Looks like Wiggle might be discontinuing though, not sure if that head unit is compatible with the various sensor kits?

Very interesting Ken, out of interest which of these bits did you need? Was fitting easy enough? I am planning on replacing my bars anyway so might be the time to consider adding one of these into the brifters. Looks like Wiggle might be discontinuing though, not sure if that head unit is compatible with the various sensor kits?

A lot of other computers have remote button kits available that can be made work with the flightdeck buttons on brifters. For example, I have a Cateye that has a remote button kit that can be used in this way -not installed it yet, but will be soon!

• Advertisement

I got the road cable sensor kit, and the head unit. The only problem I had was that I have oversized bars (31.8mm at the stem) and the mount that came with this kit was only the 25,4mm standard size, so I had to get a seperate oversized mount, was only 5 quid or so - cycle superstore ordered it in for me.
    The wireless kits come with both mounts though.
    AFAIK the head units are all compatible. Fitting was dead easy, just peel back the hood rubbers, remove a little blanker from the hoods, replace with the sensor and re-tape the bars. Then run the wheel sensor to the front fork. Took about 20 mins or so.
    They have a cool 'virtual cadence' feature which calculates your cadence based on your gear selection and your speed - it's very very close to my Garmin which actually has a cadence meter - unless of course you're freewheeling - it gets that very wrong :)

Advertisement