Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I get any government grants towards studying

Options
  • 26-05-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I work full time in an establishment. I want to finish my AAT accounting qualification but don't currently work in accounts so my employer won't fund it. I just can't afford to pay for the course at the moment due to bills, debt etc. Can I get any government grants towards studying a distance learning course that I either don't have to pay back or can pay back at a later date? Can someone please help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Hi there, bad news I'm afraid. There is little funding support available for part-time or distance learning programmes.

Best you could hope for is tax relief on tuition fees if your course is an approved part-time undergraduate or postgraduate course in approved public and private higher education institutions both in Ireland and in other EU member states, an approved full-time or part-time undergraduate courses operated by approved colleges in another EU member state providing distance education in the Irish State.

There is also a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) which allows people in receipt of certain social welfare payments to calim support, but this is unlikely to apply to you as you are working full-time.

See http://www.studentfinance.ie/ for more info.

Advertisement