Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lay a carpet in a very small area?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi There!

Just looking for some tips on what I need to lay a small bit of carpet in a store room approx. 16 square feet (4' x 4') and the best way to approach it?....never attempted to lay carpet before! :confused:

Obviously I'm not concerned with the heavy duty tools such as knee-kickers, etc, but I dont want it to look like a badly cut carpet used as a mat either!!

All advice welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You only need one thing....a set of new stanley blades. Nothing more important than sharp blades.
    I assume you're using a remnant...if its much bigger than the square shape you're looking it to eventually be, then roughly cut it first, then shove it into the storeroom. If there's any sort of pattern to it, make sure that the pattern line(s) runs square to the skirtings, otherwise it'll look odd or crooked, even if you get your cuts perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Thanks Wertz!

Yeah, using left-over carpet....no pattern!

Bought a stanley knife last night and attempted to lay it....rough job to say the least!!

The 2 main problems were:

1. There is a pipe going into the ground near the corner of the room with a circular base approx. 5 inches in diameter...very tricky to cut this circle out and get the edge of the carpet flush with the wall! :(

2. After cutting the carpet to the approx. size of the room, I layed it and attempted to trim the excess carpet around the edges...cutting on the carpeted side was not as clean as cutting the back side!!!

Now I'm thinking of getting some wooded trims to lay on the carpet, against the skirting board to cover up the gaps!!!!

Advertisement