Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for tips and tricks

Options
  • 26-05-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm looking for home recording tips and tricks from everyone. What things did you come across that made recording much easier for you?? Any tips on getting a good sound or any nifty tricks?? How do you approach your mixing and mixdown??? Anything you would like to share about home recording i would love to hear :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hi,I am not a professional but I am slowly getting there and I work for money not for free.

When your mixing bring all your faders to zero that way you can slowly add volume track by track. Automate by hand on the fader. Record using low latency mode on your Daw. Learn as much as you can about compression. Try not to use reverb on everything. Automate your plug ins. Learn about different microphones and their placement. Record different people and do what they ask of you. Work for free at the start so you can cover yourself if you make mistakes. Back all your work up twice. Burn your back up and store it. Be laid back and people will open up to you. Use a click track. Build a small home made booth for a better vocal and guitar sound. Pro tools is great but expensive and Logic is great too and affordable. There is little difference between Mac and Pc. You can double track vocals and guitar by recording the part twice or duplicating the track and shifting it slightly out of time. Learn about different sample rates and how to bounce down. Paul White has some great books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

is this for dance music(then you wouldnt need advice on mic placement and **** like that) or rock and rolly stuff(then you would)
    production is full of trick so if you let us know what your trying to accomplish we could help you better.
    otherwise peole might write a long detailed explaination of something that doesnt apply to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

seannash wrote: »
    is this for dance music(then you wouldnt need advice on mic placement and **** like that) or rock and rolly stuff(then you would)
    production is full of trick so if you let us know what your trying to accomplish we could help you better.
    otherwise peole might write a long detailed explaination of something that doesnt apply to you :)

I think the OP was asking a general question to everyone. Good dance music does use real guitar and vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Tom-eg wrote: »
    . What things did you come across that made recording much easier for you??

One Main Trick ....... USE GOOD GEAR!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dav nagle wrote: »
    I think the OP was asking a general question to everyone. Good dance music does use real guitar and vocals.
    yes yes not debating that,just trying to streamline things.
    if hes producing dance music typically(thats typically)he wont need to mic up an acoustic guitar or violin or stuff like that.
    if it is dance music hell want to know about sidechaining,synthesis etc.
    thats all i was trying to do.streamline it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Understand the three elements which contribute to the quality of your recording; quality of the musicians, quality of the gear and quality of the engineer. Be aware of your signal chain; don't 'fix it in the mix', fix it in the tracking. Peak between -18db and -12db for tracking guitars, bass and vocals, between -12db and -6db for percussion (someone will probably take issue with this point). Use headphones for monitoring, not mixing. Experiment with double-tracking - experiment with pretty much everything. Spend some time getting to understand your room, even if it means looking for ways to deaden the sound and cut down on reflections. Don't worry when your mix seems quiter than commercial releases. Use a measured approach when it comes to applying modulation effects and reverbs. Don't write-off dynamic mics. Don't write off synths, loops or MIDI.

And the most important tip of all..Record as much and as often as you can..

Advertisement