Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurring Impetigo

Options
  • 26-05-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I suffered a fairly bad bout of impetigo a few years ago (first time) for which I had to take oral antibiotics for. The impetigo cleared up, but I have had outbreaks now and again since then. I've gone to the docs when its happened (and told them I had it before) but they just gave me some cream to clear up the site of the infection. However I read on the web that the bacteria that causes it can stay around in your system, particularly your nose. Obviously I would like to get rid of any nasty germs hanging around so I don't get infected again so easily. However no doc I've gone to has mentioned that this can even happen.

I also have some pink non-raised areas on my skin from the initial infection that havn't cleared since. I'm not sure if its a scar (i don't think so as I have facial hair growing up through the area) or some sort of staph/strep infection, or a pigmentation issue. I went to a doctor about this recently and he put me on tetracycline for a month but it didn't do anything.

I'm not sure my local GP has the equipment to test cultures etc. (or is unwilling to do so) so does anyone know of a doctor or somewhere I can go in dublin that would help me sort this out?

Thanks.

Edit: not sure if i posted in the right place, apologies if not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

could you not go to a dermatologist? ask your gp for a referral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

up to 18 months waiting time.Ask / tell your GP to send off a swab.Its easy and will put your mind at rest.I would imagine that if you do have a skin infection it would spread quickly.Would washing with hepiscrub be of benifit?
    cathy

Advertisement