Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone not registered?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i bought an upgrade phone in july 2006 and registered for upgrade credit but now when i look for the unlocking code meteor customer care are saying the imei of the phone is not registered on my account even though i registered it in august 2006 and confirmed this with meteor a few months later when there was a delay applying my monthly upgrade credit!

meteor are now saying i must register again to have my phone unlocked but only after spending another €130 on my account! also they can only see top-ups to the value of €40 on my account but i top-up every month by €20 for free messages so this amount cant be right!

strangely the last time i looked for the unlocking code for this phone they had some other excuse that they could not generate unlocking codes because the "code machine" was broken!

is there any other way to get meteor to supply this code that i am entitled to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Contact comreg and let them know you met the obligations of the minimum spend amount but the operator are still refusing to unlock the phone.

You could possibly ring meteor one last time to demand they do it or you will be contacting comreg.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

First thing I would do is run into a meteor store and ask an assistant to check if you are registered on your phone. If they say yes, you know theres some BS going on.

Otherwise, I would ring meteor, and ask to speak to a team lead.

Explain to him that you are registered and have, in fact, been given credit (which you couldn't get otherwise.)

Ask the team lead if they can see your free texts. If they can, ask them how did you get them if you hadn't been topping up.

See how it goes from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i bought an upgrade phone in july 2006 and registered for upgrade credit but now when i look for the unlocking code meteor customer care are saying the imei of the phone is not registered on my account even though i registered it in august 2006 and confirmed this with meteor a few months later when there was a delay applying my monthly upgrade credit!

meteor are now saying i must register again to have my phone unlocked but only after spending another €130 on my account! also they can only see top-ups to the value of €40 on my account but i top-up every month by €20 for free messages so this amount cant be right!

strangely the last time i looked for the unlocking code for this phone they had some other excuse that they could not generate unlocking codes because the "code machine" was broken!

so have you finally given up on 3 as you mobile provider? and more importantly does this mean we can now expect endless amounts of abusive threads about meteor instead of 3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

still using three(i have several mobile phone accounts) and if my posts are abusive why dont you report them as such? there is a facility to do that if you wish!

just click on the little red triangle in the bottom left corner of the offending post(the one with the ! in it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

still using three(i have several mobile phone accounts) and if my posts are abusive why dont you report them as such? there is a facility to do that if you wish!

just click on the little red triangle in the bottom left corner of the offending post(the one with the ! in it!)

i meant the posts are abusive towards 3, not abusive to the the readers of the posts. if anything i find them entertaining to read. it is always interesting to hear what 3 (and every other company for that matter) have done to try and rip you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've asked posters before to refrain from descending into personal attacks. Continue in this vein at your peril.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Team leader and getting calls pulled, that will sort it out. All you have to provide is the number you phone from.

according to meteor this my main phone has only been topped up by 2x €20 and then one month of meteor rewards which was €3 between august and december 2006 and there have been no other top-ups for this phone!

i got all the upgrade credit(€90) and have topped up by €20 almost every month since buying the phone so how can they now insist on me registering this handset again and spending another €130 before they agree to unlock the handset?

also they have agreed that they could see the free texts on my account yet they could not see corresponding top-ups so something has happened with my account for all the top-ups to vanish

or meteor are trying to prevent me using an o2 simcard in this phone!? i was intending buying a meteor upgrade phone and using this phone for a spare o2 number but...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

or meteor are trying to prevent me using an o2 simcard in this phone!? i was intending buying a meteor upgrade phone and using this phone for a spare o2 number but...
    no, they're not. it's a technical glitch.

also they have agreed that they could see the free texts on my account yet they could not see corresponding top-ups so something has happened with my account for all the top-ups to vanish
    did you only use the phone for free texts or are there other calls too? if they can see that you've been getting free texts for the past year and have spent more credit than the recorded top ups would have allowed then i don't know why this problem hasn't yet been resolved. if that is in fact the case, there's clearly been a technical glitch and they should add up the amount of credit you spent rather than the amount of recorded top ups. they should also assume €20 for each month that you had free texts.

i find it very odd that they would say "the part of the system that records top ups says you didn't top up but your call records show you spent hundreds of euro so we're just going to assume your call records are all wrong and deny you the code".

the only thing i can think of is that you lost the head at them and made accusations along the lines of "meteor are trying to prevent me using an o2 simcard in this phone" and they lost any desire to help you.

what type of phone is it? getting the code off them may not be necessary

did you only use the phone for free texts or are there other calls too?
    used it for a lot of calls and texts and thousands of texts and mms each month.
    if they can see that you've been getting free texts for the past year and have spent more credit than the recorded top ups would have allowed then i don't know why this problem hasn't yet been resolved. if that is in fact the case,
    this is the case but as i have said they can only see €43 of top-ups since 2006.
    there's clearly been a technical glitch and they should add up the amount of credit you spent rather than the amount of recorded top ups. they should also assume €20 for each month that you had free texts.
    their answer is to insist i register again and top up a further €130 before they will unlock the handset.
    i find it very odd that they would say "the part of the system that records top ups says you didn't top up but your call records show you spent hundreds of euro so we're just going to assume your call records are all wrong and deny you the code".
    the call records only show the free texts offer applied to the account in december but there is no corrosponding top-up for those free texts!
    the only thing i can think of is that you lost the head at them and made accusations along the lines of "meteor are trying to prevent me using an o2 simcard in this phone" and they lost any desire to help you.
    i remained calm and simply asked them to investigate and resolve this issue as i have never been given this unlocking code from the last time i requested it which they also strangly have no record of. and i never informed them of my intentions towards this handset as i am not obliged to but they are obliged to provide the unlocking code!
    what type of phone is it? getting the code off them may not be necessary
    it is a nokia and i could search online for the code but this would void any remaining warranty on the phone if putting in a wrong code bricked the phone!

it would appear there is something amiss with my account so maybe the data protection office is the place to enquire about the account history being incorrect?

• Advertisement

used it for a lot of calls and texts and thousands of texts and mms each month.
    the call records only show the free texts offer applied to the account in december but there is no corrosponding top-up for those free texts!

those two records can't both be correct. it's clear that there is some sort of technical glitch going on
    their answer is to insist i register again and top up a further €130 before they will unlock the handset.
    well tell them that answer is unacceptable. ask them to explain how you could have made hundreds of euro worth of calls if you hadn't topped up.

he won't be able to give you an answer because it's impossible. at that point, if he refuses to escalate the matter or give you the code, ask to speak to his manager. if he refuses, ask how you go about making a formal complaint.

it is a nokia and i could search online for the code but this would void any remaining warranty on the phone if putting in a wrong code bricked the phone!
    you won't brick the phone by entering an incorrect unlocking code. what model of nokia is it? i might be able to give you the code

it would appear there is something amiss with my account so maybe the data protection office is the place to enquire about the account history being incorrect?
    you're not quite at that stage yet. they won't even talk to you until you've exhausted meteor's complaints procedures. you're talking about skipping them altogether

are you sure there isn't some mistake on your part here? like maybe the number you've been topping up and getting your free texts on isn't the one you registered the phone to?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Foggy, not being smart, but seeing as Sam has virtually reiterated what I said at the start of this thread in much clearer language, have you asked to speak to a team lead about this, as very clearly there is a glitch in the system?

yes i have asked for this to be escalated and have asked for them to explain how i have had free messages without topping up and no i have always had the same number in this phone the one i used to buy the phone.

meteors "final" reply to me is to bring the phone back to the store i bought it and have it registered there but i will have to top-up a further €130 before they will provide the code!

and thanks for the offer but i am sure i could find the unlocking code myself, but why should i have to do this when meteor are obliged to provide it?

yes i have asked for this to be escalated and have asked for them to explain how i have had free messages without topping up and no i have always had the same number in this phone the one i used to buy the phone.

meteors "final" reply to me is to bring the phone back to the store i bought it and have it registered there but i will have to top-up a further €130 before they will provide the code!

and thanks for the offer but i am sure i could find the unlocking code myself, but why should i have to do this when meteor are obliged to provide it?

well that's a completely unacceptable final answer. that's a load of crap tbh. i'm beginning to think that you've left something out of your side of the story because it seems very strange to me that they can see in front of their own eyes that there's something wrong with the records but they're refusing to escalate it. even regardless of your unlocking code, they should escalate it because you seem to be getting unlimited free calls!

who did you speak to? did you ask to speak to a team leader? what exactly did they say to try to explain all those free calls you've been getting for the past year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ring comreg. tell them. see what they say.

ring comreg. tell them. see what they say.

didn't you hear? everyone at comreg got sacked. now it's just a recorded message saying "we can't help you" over and over. the result to the consumer is the same

really though, they won't do anything until a formal complaint is made and meteor is given 14 days to respond. and even then they won't do much

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    well that's a completely unacceptable final answer. that's a load of crap tbh. i'm beginning to think that you've left something out of your side of the story because it seems very strange to me that they can see in front of their own eyes that there's something wrong with the records but they're refusing to escalate it. even regardless of your unlocking code, they should escalate it because you seem to be getting unlimited free calls!

who did you speak to? did you ask to speak to a team leader? what exactly did they say to try to explain all those free calls you've been getting for the past year?

my side of the story is that over 6 months ago i asked for this code and i was told back then that i was entitled to it but the "machine" used to calculate these codes was broken and meteor were waiting on people from nokia to repair it!

there was no talk of my handset not being registered in fact i was told everything was in order except the code could not be generated!

but now meteor have no records of me ever requesting the code before!!

why would i embelish this or leave something out as i could so easily get a code elsewhere? but this would not come with any guarantee if entering it permenantly disabled my handset!(this is a replacement handset but i made sure to ring meteor with the replacement imei in august '06, 28days after i bought the original phone)

also the free calls i am getting are in fact the free text and mms for life offer which i have had and used for years, meteor can see i was getting free texts & mms and to get these i must have topped up a minimum €20/month but meteor are saying none of these top-ups are showiing on my account!!

yes i agree their final answer is unacceptable but they have refused to answer anymore until i go to the meteor store and have the phone registered then i must top-up by €130 again to have the phone unlocked! they are sticking to this line which makes me think there is something else here on their end that i am not aware of!

my side of the story is that over 6 months ago i asked for this code and i was told back then that i was entitled to it but the "machine" used to calculate these codes was broken and meteor were waiting on people from nokia to repair it!

there was no talk of my handset not being registered in fact i was told everything was in order except the code could not be generated!
    the fact that there was no talk of being registered is really beside the point. why would the agent go to all the hassle of making sure everything was in order for you being entitled to the code if he couldn't give it to you?

"i can't give you the code because the machine is broken" is not the same as "i've checked and everything is in order and the only thing preventing me from giving you the code is the machine being broken"

did he definitely specifically say that you were entitled to the code? did you ask him to check?

btw, on vodafone you have to top up by €130 in the past 6 months to get the code. meteor might be the same

but now meteor have no records of me ever requesting the code before!!
    again, beside the point. i see no reason why an agent would feel the need to make a note of that on your account. if i was the agent i'd just take the next call.

why would i embelish this or leave something out as i could so easily get a code elsewhere?
    what i'm thinking you left out is the fact that you spoke to them the way you always speak about companies here and they want to piss you off. i always told you that it's in your interest to be nice to people like that because of exactly such a problem. if it was anyone else, i wouldn't even consider the possibility that the agents are simply trying to annoy you.

but this would not come with any guarantee if entering it permenantly disabled my handset!(this is a replacement handset but i made sure to ring meteor with the replacement imei in august '06, 28days after i bought the original phone)
    as i already said, entering an incorrect unlock code doesn't break your handset. all that happens is that if you enter the wrong code three times, you can't enter any more and you have to use unlocking hardware and pay someone to get it unlocked.

also the free calls i am getting are in fact the free text and mms for life offer which i have had and used for years, meteor can see i was getting free texts & mms and to get these i must have topped up a minimum €20/month but meteor are saying none of these top-ups are showiing on my account!!
    i know this. call them back and refuse to get off the phone until they give you a satisfactory explanation for that impossibility!!

yes i agree their final answer is unacceptable but they have refused to answer anymore until i go to the meteor store and have the phone registered then i must top-up by €130 again to have the phone unlocked! they are sticking to this line which makes me think there is something else here on their end that i am not aware of!
    i wouldn't register the phone at this point. firstly, it's already registered according to yourself so registering again could erase any record they might have of it being registered before and secondly, what you should do is follow my above advice.

if they can't give you a satisfactory explanation and refuse to go any further, then say "i would like to make a formal complaint". don't do it over the phone, ask them for the address to send a registered letter to. then 14 days later, if there's no response, contact comreg.

or of course you could listen to me when i say that your phone won't be damaged and give me the imei and the model and i should be able to give you a code

edit: i want to stress the importance of "don't make the formal complaint over the phone". if you post again here in three weeks saying they ignored your formal complaint that you made over the phone i'll be very annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

btw, on vodafone you have to top up by €130 in the past 6 months to get the code. meteor might be the same

It's not, unless it changed since my last upgrade

MOH wrote: »
    It's not, unless it changed since my last upgrade

i was refused an unlocking code in october last year because i hadn't topped up enough in the past 6 months. i called a few minutes later and gave my friend's details (with his permission) and got the code straight away.

it's also happened to several friends of mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

i was refused an unlocking code in october last year because i hadn't topped up enough in the past 6 months. i called a few minutes later and gave my friend's details (with his permission) and got the code straight away.

it's also happened to several friends of mine

I'm talking about Meteor

MOH wrote: »
    I'm talking about Meteor

i see

Advertisement