Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb and landlords?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

if esb is in a tenents name, do esb hold the tenent liable or do they revert to the landlord for the bill?

my old housemate had it in his name and didnt pay his bill, is it his problem or the landlords? (i.e. could it come from my deposit)

he moved out and none of us registered a new user, is landlord liable for electricity we used or is a bad debt for the esb since no one registered?

thanks, this is really worryin so if its wrong forum, please reply if you know the answers aswell as tellin me to post somewhere else...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sounds like ye are liable for what ye used and also for what your former housemate used as the landlord will probably take it out of whatever deposits were paid.

are you trrying to get out of paying your way or worried you will have to pay for the others in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

im worried that the guy who has left will get his esb bill paid my me, the only other housemate still in the house from when he lived there..

you understand my worry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's hardly just "his" bill if you were living there too. If you didn't check how much electricity was used when he was leaving, and you can't contact him now, then it's all yours. The landlord will not be responsible, the users of the electricity will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Legally, it's your old housemate who is responsible for the bill, as it's in his name. If he didn't bother to get his name taken off when he moved out, then he's also liable for the bill since he moved. It won't come out of your deposit, as the landlord won't be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

thanks seagull.. and he cancelled it when he moved out

• Advertisement
Advertisement