Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool near Bray?

• 26-05-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a pay-as-you-go swimming pool near Bray. Preferably 25 meters or more. The one in the Royal Hotel is just 14 meters and I would have to sign up for a 6 month membership to use it - not gonna happen!

The closest one I can think of is Glenalbyn Swimming Pool in Stillorgan. I think that used to be pay-per-visit at least anyway. I know they're meant to be building a new one in Ballywaltrim recreation centre, where ever that may be, but that won't be done for another few months.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is the one in Wicklow town too far ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

It would be more difficult to get to than I'd like, yes. I live on the 145 bus route (should have said before) so I reckon that heading into Dublin would be most convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I dunno what the story is with the one in the Glenview..maybe check it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know they're meant to be building a new one in Ballywaltrim recreation centre, where ever that may be, ...
    It's just off the Southern Cross Road in Bray not too far from the Woodies roundabout. There's one being planned/built in Greystones as well I believe.

There's also a pool at the Jackie Skelly gym in Charlesland, Greystones, although I have no idea what size it is (I can't swim myself:D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

none of the ones in the various gyms would be 25m and I doubt any of them would let you pay as you go. Wicklow probably the best bet - Bus Eireann service goes from Bray to Wicklow and back on a fairly regular basis (though would be a lot more expensive than going to Stillorgan) http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202394515-133.pdf.

Bray and Greystones public 25m pools are both supposed to be open before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As a non-swimmer, what difference does it make how long it is (within reason) ? (Sorry for the stupid question :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's important for so-called "lane swimmers" who are there for a serious swim. If a pool is short, you could be spending as much time changing direction as you might do actually swimming, therefore, the longer the pool, the better quality swim you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Is there not a public pool in St Gerards school on Putland Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The pool on Mill road Greystones seems to be nearing completion (although nearing completion could still mean months!)- as far as i know thats going to be 25m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Is there not a public pool in St Gerards school on Putland Road?

Thats Pres on Putland Rd, and AFAIK, thats been closed years now.

Isnt there one in Monkstown? Was there somewhat recently, prob three of four years ago I think. Fairly sure its still there.

• Advertisement

God yeah Pres pool has been closed for years!!!
    Yep Blue Pool is in Monsktown. not been in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sharonann

any luck with the query????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Pay as you go pools in Bray; No sorry. You will have to wait for the new pools to open (late summer, August I believe).

They will also have a gym area. I have heard that the staff are being recruited at the moment (always a good sign). As for the blue pool in Monkstown, well it is pretty dirty, with algae and the like growing on the pool sides.

With summer here (yes, it is here) why not try the sea. There are a number of people swiming in Bray at the moment (and year around in Greystones) the council have a lifeguard in place in too. The coffee dock to Baracuda is 700m, no need for a swim hat, lavs open during the day in both the Coffee dock and Baracuda areas.

Pop down, big swim, change and hot chocolate and cookie when you are done. Pefect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Just go a note in the door to say that the Bray pool will be open for viewing this 14 July. Offical opening cannot be too far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Monkstown pool is ok, a little rough around the edges but cleaner than Glenalbyn. I take the kids regularly. Looking forward to the Bray pool.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel in Killiney has a 20m pool used to go there loads when I was a young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

The new pool in Bray is open from the 28th July on the Southern Cross Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The new pool in Bray is open from the 28th July on the Southern Cross Road.

Very expensive though. Over Euro 800ish for a couple, over Euro 400ish for a single person and if you just want to use it on a day to day basis it's Euro 10.00 for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

thats great Brays new public pool will be open so soon, is there any info on times and prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

A list of prices and times for the swimming pool in Bray if anyones interested. Does seem a bit expensive

• Advertisement

similar enough to the prices in wicklow - http://www.coralleisure.ie/wicklow_prices.php

it does seem steep for a publicly funded pool - how much is Jackie Skelly or Westwood by comparison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Ah its not too bad although whats with the 20cent! they could have just left it at €7 surely!

Quite expensive in comparison to Glenalbyn. PDF link - http://www.glenalbyn.ie/July_2008timetable.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sgriff

Does anyone know when the new pool/leisure centre is opening in Greystones. I know it is being operated by Shoreline Lesiure but can't seem to find out anything about what is going, size of pool, is there gym, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sgriff

Anyone know when the pool in Greystones is opening?

Big Dick Roche to the rescue once again:
    http://www.dickroche.com/article.php?sid=768

as for the opening date - I've heard October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I find the prices to be a disgrace.
    Surely the idea of a public pool is that it is for access by all members of the public?

The membership prices here are the same as private gyms!

I have been a member of a gym before , Jackie Skelly's and left because I just didn't like the place or the staff.

Thought this new pool would be the solution I was looking for but now I doubt it.

I also find it strange that there is no official website for the pool, unless somebody else knows better.

Bray pool isn't open till September. They'll show you around the place if you drop in. Agree on the prices, it makes bringing the kids very expensive. For 8 euro and some change I get myself and two kids in for two hours at Glenalbyn. A two hour swim (if available) in Bray would cost 30.20!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

hshortt wrote: »
    Bray pool isn't open till September. They'll show you around the place if you drop in. Agree on the prices, it makes bringing the kids very expensive. For 8 euro and some change I get myself and two kids in for two hours at Glenalbyn. A two hour swim (if available) in Bray would cost 30.20!

10 euro is OTT.

• Advertisement

Is that €10 just to use the pool or to use the gym facilities aswell?

Advertisement