Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Waterford/near Waterford

• 26-05-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey guys, this probably isn't in the right section, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it!

Just wondering if anyone knows any good places to camp, in Waterford or the surrounding area?

Checked loads of places today, but still haven't found the perfect place! It would need to be able to accomodate about 10 tents, and should probably be away from any houses etc, as we don't want to be causing any trouble to anyone!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont know of any camping sites outside of Waterford but some of the Caravan sites in Tramore allow camps but im not to sure about 10. Most sites in Tramore are near houses though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

try the saleens, annestown, bunmahon, stradbally. nearly every beach on the coast will have somewhere near it to pitch a tent. some are actual campsites, others just fields near beaches. either way you wont be stuck for somewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    try the saleens, annestown, bunmahon, stradbally. nearly every beach on the coast will have somewhere near it to pitch a tent. some are actual campsites, others just fields near beaches. either way you wont be stuck for somewhere

Isnt it illegal to camp on the beach, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Sully wrote: »

if the place is left as you found it im sure there wont be any problems, im say gardai have better things to be doing than giving out to someone for camping !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sully wrote: »

He never suggested camping on the beach.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    He never suggested camping on the beach.

Sorry I mis read it.

daftdave wrote: »
    if the place is left as you found it im sure there wont be any problems, im say gardai have better things to be doing than giving out to someone for camping !

Well its becoming an issue in Tramore now, down at the Dunnes IIRC. Its banned for a reason. In fact, iv seen Gardai go down and remove campers on beaches. Though they had fires lighting and the fire service assisted so maybe that was why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I know a lot of places to camp, but they are invariably remote (ish) and need a bit of commitment to get to.

Do you mind if I ask what's the purpose of the trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tra na mBo in Bunmahon is a good spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

The Ballybeg Link Road - lovely wide footpaths, make as much noise and mess as you like, you don't even have to clean up after yourself when you leave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

luvlylady wrote: »
    The Ballybeg Link Road - lovely wide footpaths, make as much noise and mess as you like, you don't even have to clean up after yourself when you leave...

Oooh, nasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sonky353

Dunmore just above the beach is a lovely spot gr8 view as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

Roen wrote: »
    I know a lot of places to camp, but they are invariably remote (ish) and need a bit of commitment to get to.

Do you mind if I ask what's the purpose of the trip?

We've just all finished college, so it's kind of just a final goodbye if ya get me? Had a look in stradbally the other day, lovely place, will probably go there, either that or the Ballybeg link road ;)

Thanks for the replys anyway guys, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 n01An

Hello, this is for your information should you want to go camping in Tramore, Co Waterford.

We, as a family, have used Newtown Cove a few times. We highly recommend it. Clean, modern, lots to do on-site, friendly helpfull staff, we can't rate it high enough.

We have just returned from 2 nights using Fitzmaurice's site in Tramore, we had booked in for 4 nights but couldn't take anymore than 2.

I shall start at the beginning,
    My wife telephoned to be told there was "no pre-booking, first come first served, guaranteed electric hook up, tent no problem we cater for tents"

We headed there early on Friday, figuring we could guarantee a spot for the bank holiday weekend if we are there by Friday noon.

We arrived, paid for 4 nights with electric hook up, they directed us to an uneven, sloped piece of ground between the bins and the toilets......really?

We found a level pitch, sheltered by a wall behind it, with an electric hook up point and decided this would be perfect, as we started erecting the tent a staff member came over and said we couldn't put the tent there, he asked us if we were using the electric hook up, we said yes and he said "oh that's okay then".
    We finished erecting the large awkward-to-erect tent and were unpacking when another staff member came over to us
    "you can't put the tent there, you need to move it, we have been watching you on the cctv for an hour deciding what to do and you can't pitch it there".
    "Why not?"
    "We need those pitches for tourning caravans, you have to use the other area if you want to use a tent and have electric hook up"
    "Is there any difference in the price, I will pay it"
    "No it's the same price"
    "We are taking the same space as a caravan and car, we have a tent and car, why can't we stay here?
    "We need those pitches for touring caravans"
    "There is a trailer tent right next to us, only difference is they carried their tent in a box on wheels behind the car, we used a holdall in the boot?"
    "You have to move it"
    "My wife was working last night, overnight in a nursing home, we travelled this morning to be sure of a pitch here, we are paying for 4 nights to be sure of a pitch, we were told first come first served so what the hell are you saying?"
    "You have to move it"
    "Listen we are nearly unpacked, my wife needs to have a rest so if we have to move it we will do so tomorrow okay?
    "Yes that's okay, you have to move it tomorrow though"
    "Yes we will"
    So we carry on unpacking for the night, inflating airbeds, unrolling sleeping bags etc and my wife goes to lie down for a couple of hours.
    The staff member returns
    "You have to move it now"
    "What?"
    "We need those pitches for touring caravans"
    "We are paying the same, there are emply pitches all around us, we take the same space, we are here early, we are paying for 4 nights so what the hell are you on about, you just said we could leave it till tomorrow?"
    "You have to move it now"

I was born in Belfast, Ballymurphy to be exact. I have spent many years in the Uk, lived in Birmingham, London, Scotland and Plymouth. I was in the Submarine service for years.
    I have witnessed all sorts of small minded bigotry and ism's from race to sexism but this is the first time I have come upon WHEELISM.
    How retarded or fcuked up do you have to be to practise WHEELISM?

Now listen to this, the toilets stink, I mean they are really smelly and dirty, I don't think they have been cleaned this year.
    They haven't been painted this century, infact I remember the decor from houses in the 70's.
    No toilets, well the gents, have working locks, that's if the door fits in the door jam in the first place.
    There are no facilities except a washing/drying area...€7 a shot each.
    2 x pool tables and a teddy bear machine for the kids, that's it.
    These people charge the same as Newtown Cove....WTF?

No limit on noise or times to quiet down either, you can make noise all night, party, play music, drink to excess and annoy all others on the site by all means, but you want a level piece of ground with electric hook up for a tent? Fcuk off scumbag, no way!

Well Fitzmoron's can go fcuk itself.
    Do not use this **** hole, pitch your tent anywhere else but here.

Also a lady staying in the "mobile" homes they rent on the site approached us, she said the "mobiles" were smelly, scruffy and paper thin so useless at stopping the noise from the other "party people" on the site, €600 for 1 week in it......what sort of drugs are the camp owners taking?

Fitzmoron's you shouldn't be in business, you give Ireland and Irish tourism a bad name. Any visitors staying at your **** hole site will leave with a really bad view of Ireland, your a bunch of GREEDY USELESS CNUTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com, searching for "Fitzmaurice tramore" it seems most people agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

n01An wrote: »
    I was born in Belfast, Ballymurphy to be exact. I have spent many years in the Uk, lived in Birmingham, London, Scotland and Plymouth. I was in the Submarine service for years.
    I have witnessed all sorts of small minded bigotry and ism's from race to sexism but this is the first time I have come upon WHEELISM.
    How retarded or fcuked up do you have to be to practise WHEELISM?

Now listen to this, the toilets stink, I mean they are really smelly and dirty, I don't think they have been cleaned this year.
    They haven't been painted this century, infact I remember the decor from houses in the 70's.
    No toilets, well the gents, have working locks, that's if the door fits in the door jam in the first place.
    There are no facilities except a washing/drying area...€7 a shot each.
    2 x pool tables and a teddy bear machine for the kids, that's it.
    These people charge the same as Newtown Cove....WTF?

No limit on noise or times to quiet down either, you can make noise all night, party, play music, drink to excess and annoy all others on the site by all means, but you want a level piece of ground with electric hook up for a tent? Fcuk off scumbag, no way!

Well Fitzmoron's can go fcuk itself.
    Do not use this **** hole, pitch your tent anywhere else but here.

Also a lady staying in the "mobile" homes they rent on the site approached us, she said the "mobiles" were smelly, scruffy and paper thin so useless at stopping the noise from the other "party people" on the site, €600 for 1 week in it......what sort of drugs are the camp owners taking?

Fitzmoron's you shouldn't be in business, you give Ireland and Irish tourism a bad name. Any visitors staying at your **** hole site will leave with a really bad view of Ireland, your a bunch of GREEDY USELESS CNUTS

Excellent post.. really enjoyed reading that... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Was there myself a good few years ago, the place is a dump and I completely agree with this guy. The money grabbing feckers are giving Ireland/south east/co.Waterford a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I remember someone complaining about the place on Billy Mac. People started ringing in with things like 'if you don't like it, don't come to Waterford'.

We really have to take these complaints seriously. I wish there was a way to charge such places triple rates, until they stop giving the rest of us a bad name.

N01An, did you get a refund for the nights you didn't stay? If not it might be worth investigating the small claims court, to see if you have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

@ N01an... Please put just what you said there on tripadvisor! Shocking

My dad and nephew just recently camped in woodstown on the grass overlooking the beach, right next to the saratoga. He rang beforehand to the saratoga to make sure it was ok. It was lovely out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Excellent post no1an. Pity you had such a ****ey time.as someone else said, post that up on tripadvisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Feel sick after just reading the reviews on tripadvisor. Places that bad should be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mj27

Hi guys, theres a new campsite after opening up near us here in Duncannon. Its right beside the beach. They have those yurts, altho I havent seen the inside of them yet. Might be worth a look, website is www.duncannonholidaypark.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

I cant imagine Fitzmaurices being anything other than a sh*thole to be honest. I live in the town and it looks the same as it did 30 years ago. Pity anyone who is trying to have a family break who accidently ends up here. Newtown Site looks good but small, tents seem to be on top of each other but would definitely recommend it.

In my opinion and I do quite a bit of camping, Caseys Caravan and Campsite in Clonea, just outside Dungarvan is the best campsite in the South-East region. Ok, they dont take bookings but outside of holiday weekends there should not be a problem getting a pitch, with or without electricity. Spotless clean and a great playground for the kids. There is a no noise policy between 11pm and 8am and they enforce it with on site security who are very friendly.

There is another sh*thole in Fethard on Sea, think it is called Ocean Island or someting like that, definitely avoid that one too.

Alternatively, closer to the prom you have Atlantic View Caravan Park.

http://www.discovertramore.ie/view?p=Atlantic_View_Caravan_Park

Might be worth considering. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

People camp down at the salteens, its a few miles out though.
    God the fitzmaurice place sound like a feckin nighmare.
    Another place you could go is out to Newtown cove and camp on the grass or near the beach, but i'm not sure of the situation regarding by-laws and such, you'd have to check it out.

There's woodstown too out near passage east way, but that has a reputation being a dogging spot after dark dark. But people still camp there in the summer and i havn'e heard anything bad. Again, just check the councuil by-laws to make sure its not prohibbited.

Advertisement