Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Columbia, bitter Brian Kerr tells Il Trap to tone it down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

McGeady and O'Shea will start on Thursday:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0527/ireland1.html

Oh and by Thursday it will probably be a sellout. 80% of tickets have been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

McGeady and O'Shea will start on Thursday:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0527/ireland1.html

Oh and by Thursday it will probably be a sellout. 80% of tickets have been sold.

Wow, I am impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

O'Shea will line up at right-back in place of Stephen Kelly with Richard Dunne once against partnering Paul McShane in the middle.

Where is the sense in that? Surely the right-back spot is covered. Certainly if Finnan returns. I'm very disappointed to see they are persisting with Dunne and McShane. Are we really supposed to trust in McShane to see us through major games down the line?

horseflesh wrote: »
    Wow, I am impressed.

Well there are nearly 1,000,000 people born in Ireland living in England. Also around 80,000 Columbians live in England.

Mr.Niceguy...I see what your saying, but I think Trapattoni is right to keep faith with McShane. Everybody starts a fresh under the new regime. He really wasn't that bad against Serbia. Give him this match and Norway, and then judge him. I promise you he will come good. There is a good defender in there.

I am just not happy with Miller starting. The guy offers nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I was just being dramatic with the incompetant clown merely because I wanted to make the thread seem opinionated and brash.

Awesome. :rolleyes:
    He was never up to the job. His record with our youth teams was brilliant no doubt but he should hold his hands up and say ''I wasn't good enough'' rather than holding this personal grudge.

Facts:

- Took over first campaign after the side had lost two six pointers against the top seeds in the group;
    - His second campaign pitted his squad against two teams with better top to bottom squads and a vastly superior qualification strike rate over the previous 10 years;
    - The difference was ultimately Israel away (where we dropped two points to an indefensible long distance strike in injury time); Israel at home (where we battered them to a pulp and were very, very unlucky not to get a winner); France at home (where we played very well and surely deserved at least a point losing to an indefensible wonder strike from Henry which developed after Keane slipped and was thus absent for the only moment in the match);

Not good enough? Or unlucky to be on the wrong side of the inevitable variance that is produced by a 12 match league? And an easy target for journalists bitter that he refused to play their game?

To be honest, you should kop the **** on and be slightly embarrassed to fire such vitriol at a man who worked his balls off for Irish football (while achieving success!) and - despite his good efforts - was unfairly shafted by disloyal and incompetent committee men who have responsibilities and power that is hugely out of sync with their actual capabilities.

What is so wrong with the article anyway? It's an opinion piece. One should be smart enough to know that Brian Kerr will have difficulties putting pen to paper on the subject of the senior International team following what happened to him. I assume the players don't read it, and I would hope that people are smart enough to read it for what it is and cast it to one side it they don't agree with it. And what is so objectionable anyway? He attempts to reason his points. It is likely that he still retains contacts with some of the squad and that some of them have reservations at this stage (El Tel was the player's choice after all). At least he is the one section of the media that is willing to express some doubts at this stage. That is a refreshing departure from the time honored media cycle of sky high optimism when the guy has just started - inevitably followed by the ocean deep pessimism when things get rough.

It is perfectly reasonable to disagree with opinion pieces and to attack what you perceive as inaccuracy or dishonesty. But sticking the boot in for your own entertainment or on the sole basis that the guy isn't following the herd is petty and immature.

I suggest this is locked and a simple match thread be opened in it's stead.

No. He still holds a grudge because he feels that he was harshly treated by the FAI.

The fact is that the manage the top job in Irish football must live and die by the decisions they make. Putting Graham Kavanagh on the pitch to replace Robbie Keane was an EPIC FAIL on the behalf of Brian Kerr. Whatever about Staunton and not a great quality squad, management decisions under Kerr cost us the chance of going to two major competitions.

Then in the final game against the Swiss, we needed only to score AT HOMEif my memory serves me correct. Kerr's ultra defensive mindset cost us.

Oh and the Swiss a better squad of players than us? Yeah come off it will ye. Their best player at the time was Hakin Yakin a player who struggled wherever he has gone.

I do agree however that failure to qualify for 2004, was unfairly remembered as part of Kerr's regime. Perhaps if he had been employed following 2004, he would still be in the job today.

Whats wrong with the article? Kerr being a hyprocit. He cried about the media treatment of him during his time as Irish manager and now he's trying to deliberately stir up ****. Its not his business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No. He still holds a grudge because he feels that he was harshly treated by the FAI.

The fact is that the manage the top job in Irish football must live and die by the decisions they make. Putting Graham Kavanagh on the pitch to replace Robbie Keane was an EPIC FAIL on the behalf of Brian Kerr. Whatever about Staunton and not a great quality squad, management decisions under Kerr cost us the chance of going to two major competitions.

Then in the final game against the Swiss, we needed only to score AT HOMEif my memory serves me correct. Kerr's ultra defensive mindset cost us.

Oh and the Swiss a better squad of players than us? Yeah come off it will ye. Their best player at the time was Hakin Yakin a player who struggled wherever he has gone.

I do agree however that failure to qualify for 2004, was unfairly remembered as part of Kerr's regime. Perhaps if he had been employed following 2004, he would still be in the job today.

Whats wrong with the article? Kerr being a hyprocit. He cried about the media treatment of him during his time as Irish manager and now he's trying to deliberately stir up ****. Its not his business.
    I always lol when the Kavanagh substitution is mentioned. Perfectly reasonable change when you are 2 - 0 up imo. But saying that he was worse then Staunton in terms of tactical decisions is beyond lol. Finnan at left - back? McGeady started away at the Czech Republic? Are you really saying the squad wasn't good enough in terms of quality to take more than one point against Cyprus?

The Kavanagh substitution doesn't change the fact that we created numerous chances and came within a whisker of scoring on at least three occassions in that game. On another day those go in and no - one remembers that change. It isn't poor management that cost us that game - just bad luck. And it wasn't poor management that had Keane slip thus creating the space infront of the back four for Henry to get his shot off with time. Again, just bad luck.

Against the Swiss at home we had injuries to Keane and Duff. Didn't help and yes it was the only game where I would have questioned some of his decisions. But then the four points stick against Israel and it doesn't matter so they are therefore where the whole thing was decided.

Kerr cried about the media treatment because the media began speculating about his demise while we were still well in contention for qualification. And because much of what was written about the results he produced and his competence for doing the job was poisoned by certain journalist's irritation at his availabillity and demeanour during press conferences. The negative assessments and the calls for his head were all done too hastily and without a solid foundation.

There is no hypocracy here. Kerr isn't calling for his head or stirring up **** as you say (I mean, if you wanted to stir things in the football world a column in the Times is the last place to do it!). As a journalist employed to provide an opinion piece on the international football team it is definitely his business to voice it. Maybe I'm reading a different article to you but I don't see anything deliberately objectionable or sensationalist for it's own sake in the article.

But maybe in your world what is ok or not ok in terms of journalism is the boundries and the opinions that the vast majority are holding at any one time. After all, it's the space most football fans and pundits inhabit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

gucci wrote: »
    horseflesh wrote:
    Me too :)
    Heading over on Thursday with my brother & two mates, then making a weekend of it.
    Presume you can pay at the gate for the game? How much is it in?
    I cant go as I'm flying from Birmingham next morn, but my mate is going from London(mix up of flights!) so he was interested in taking trip down Thurs and staying over.
    Plenty of tickets left, you'll be grand. From the Fulham site:
    Tickets will be available on the gate on Thursday evening (May 29th) when the Republic of Ireland take on Colombia at Craven Cottage (KO 8.05pm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think McGeady is almost certain not to play but I really hope we can see him in action under Traps new system. Its obvious that McGeady will be the focal point of Trapattoni's Ireland so I would like to see how he plays after his terrific season.

OH RLY?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0528/keanerobbie.html
    Keane can be our Totti - Trapattoni

Giovanni Trapattoni will ask Robbie Keane to reprise Francesco Totti's role in his Republic of Ireland masterplan.

The 27-year-old skipper was asked to play off central striker Kevin Doyle in the hole in front of Trapattoni's midfield quartet against Serbia on Saturday, and will do the same against Colombia at Craven Cottage tomorrow evening.

The Italian is hoping the Tottenham frontman can help provide the link as he attempts to replace a long-ball approach with a more dynamic style of play.

Trapattoni acknowledges Roma star Totti and Keane have different qualities, but is confident his man can do a similar job.

He said: 'I want him to play a little bit between the midfield and the forwards. I want him to play in a similar role to Francesco Totti - Totti is Totti and has other qualities to Robbie, but that's the sort of area I want him to play in.

'Robbie can play like that, and he can also score goals. He can do that.'

I think it's pretty clear that Trap sees the link man between midfield and striker as the key man in his lineup. There's no way an Italian coach is going to see a flair wide player as more important than the supporting striker, hence Keane keeping the captaincy and being compared to Totti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jaysus, what is johnny Giles wearing tonight. It looks like he did a pick n' mix raid on Daniel O' Donnell's wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this it? Is this the official match thread?

*tumbleweed*

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's meant to be a reflection of the upcoming game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ronnie Whelan.

Get a real job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

any mention of the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Where is Eamo Grumpy tonight? RW is brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

His analysis of Doyle and Keane is bollix.

Yes Jim Beglin's back! :cool:

1-0!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Theres a lot more at this than I thought there would be.
    Jammy goal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terrible defending.

• Advertisement

Glad to see Keogh and Delaney get starts. Keogh has started well.
    +McShane saved that well

Good stuff so far. This is the wya I want to see Ireland playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I feel odd saying this but...

9mins in and this game is brilliant!

Some keystone cop defending there by us.

Jaysus Garcia missed an absolute sitter

is that perea the one from Atletico?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    #
    Think they said he played for Colo-Colo but not sure tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

~Rebel~ wrote: »

The one in defence is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Throw Millar out of the cottage, he has absolutely nothing to offer..

Otherwise, a good fast and frenetic start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Ironically, Kerr is now doing exactly what he accuses Brady of doing as a pundit.

To be fair, it's is interesting to see Ireland, in starts, playing intelligent football, I'll reserve judgement to see if they start pumping it long in the second half.
    (as I type this, Miller just hits it long)

Defence still looks a nightmare though.

Some Columbian nurses working here are very unhappy with the game so far.

• Advertisement

Miller hasn't been too bad. His distribution overall is terrible but he's has certainly broken up a fair few columbian moves so far and does have an assist for the night.

Kiely > Given

Unearthly wrote: »
    The one in defence is

thought it was, cheers! always keep a bit of an eye out for him after how great he is for me in the new pro evo! he's like a bear beatin' down the line, never loses the ball! not quite so good in real life though..

on Miller, he's doing alright, but much more is needed from him in terms of creation if he's to ever become a regular for us.

Miller off the line

Pigman II wrote: »
    Kiely > Given
    Kiely has done well not to concede
    Liam MIller ftw

Colombians coming into it more and more.

Kiely is a great keeper... Better than Given? No.

Colombia all over us.

After the initial bright start, Ireland will be happy (and lucky) not to concede.

Good game by Kiely so far. McGeady the wonderkid is anonymous :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Kiely pwn3s Given.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Kiely is a great keeper... Better than Given? No.
    Double save.

Kiely > Given

He is a bit of a superstar alright.

Still think a fit Shay is one of the worlds best though.

how the **** Kiely got back and saved that one off the line i dont know!

our use of posession has been woeful at times though, really bad. as well as poor distribution, a lot of the support movement has been poor. largely the same old problem we've had for a few years..

Pigman II wrote: »

Kiely > Given

If we're comparing groins maybe.

Hoping to see some sustitutions in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Poor guy went to the game as a birthday present and ended up engaged lol

If we're comparing groins maybe.

You could be right but I'll leave the comparing of mens groins up to you.

• Advertisement

She had an eastern european name so he probably lucked out. Least he's not marrying some big fat heffer called Mary from Mayo or whatever.

saw that, I thought that Ireland was spared that kinda crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Johnny Giles would like to thank his sponsors for the evening "Al Capone Suit hire".

He was a great player and is still a goodfella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Syke wrote: »
    saw that, I thought that Ireland was spared that kinda crap.

Well the game is been played in London so i am guessing its an ex pat

• Advertisement
Advertisement