Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Columbia, bitter Brian Kerr tells Il Trap to tone it down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liam Miller really is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

* Catenaccio is a tactical system with an emphasis on defence. In Italian, catenaccio means "door-bolt" and the system was made famous by Argentinian trainer Helenio Herrera at Inter Milan in the 1960s who used it to grind out 1-0 wins.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The better team lost tonight.

Good thing we weren't the better team then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

How he didnt change some players earlier i will never know , the centre midfield pair terrible. Im sorry but there ARE players playing in the league of Ireland who would have done a better job than Miller and Whelan

Terrible performance, thank god we have two good goalkeepers because we are gonna need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

McShane put in a decent performance..only one mistake and he threw every part of his body at the ball when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im happy with that, we beat a better team.

Paul McShane was bloody brilliant tonight. Ahead of WC 2010 Quals im really worried about Goals, who is gonna score them? I think our CM's were poor and are poor but i want the Reid's (Andy and Steven) in there we will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

midfield was sh*te. our defence also lacks composure and make life difficult for all and sundry, passing it back to keily is a waste, better to hit it wide to the fullbacks and play out. going forward wasn't to bad, we lacked a bit of pace to get behind the defence but the boys weren't too bad at holding up the ball on the rare occasions they got it. overall slightly more organised than the Staunton era, but not a huge amount of positives to take. the same fundamental errors were present.

on a different note: columbia's number 8, the St. Etienne guy is a quality player. i'd love to see him the in Premiership next season. he'd be ideal for someone like Sunderland, he can break up play but is a great passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Great result but worried about the CM's also!
    Well done Kiely!

I agree the defence coped well given the midfield offered no protection, Cant slate McShane tonight.

With Andy and Steven Reid in the centre it may solve some of the problems. Outside of those two ? Miller and Whelan arent the answer

Miller was the better of the two CM's but Im sorry Glen Whelan :confused: Saw him in the flesh on saturday and he was invisible untill the 2nd half when presumably Trap etc have him a boot up the hole at HT. Muck and shouldnt get within an a**es roar of the side.

I know we dont have the strength of previous years but we have the makings of an OK team. As a previous poster said with the 2 Reid's in the middle we should be a better proposition.

Delighted for Kiely, has to be kept in now, hes earned his chance and doesnt deserve to lose it.

1st choice full strength team?

Kiely (ahem!)

Kelly JOS Honeymonster Delaney

Hunt A Reid S Reid McGeady

Doyle Keane

• Advertisement

Id have Duff in there too possibly for Hunt , he was decent against Serbia and with games he could get back to the form he had in previous years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

McShane was decent enough. Kiely, McGeedy and Keane for me where our best

Anyone else hear Bill "no its not...." sigh at the production guys over the wrong video

Trilla wrote: »
    McShane was decent enough. Kiely, McGeedy and Keane for me where our best

Anyone else hear Bill "no its not...." sigh at the production guys over the wrong video

Trap just said Paul (McShane) was not so good in the last game. You said it Giovanni :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The central midfield partnership was poor. The team didn't have much of a spine. The defence coped well considering what was in front of them. Without Kiely's saves we'd have lost. I thought McGeady did well on the left. Looked much more comfortable there.

I think there's still a place up for grabs in the middle of the park. Miller and Whelan don't look up to it. I hope gets Garvan gets a chance down the line.

Also, I thought Bill said at the start of the programme that there would be no interviews yet Trap was just interviewed there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

McShane is a good defender, his problem is he is prone to errors. How anyone could say the guy isn't a good defender is beyond me. For that reason tonight proves nothing, other than on form he is a good centre back. He is still liable to make a mistake.

Thought Giles analysis was top notch. However if you notice, Andy Reid does take up the positions where Miller and Whelan don't. I am quite optimistic, with the two Reids and maby Ireland playing in midfield(againt the 4-2-3-1)

Delaney was also decent, but the long punts annoy me.

O'Shea ****ing brilliant. His awareness was top notch. One particular standout moment was a beutiful pass into midfield to McGeady. Very composed overall.

Doyle showed good signs, but looks a few yards short of being a really good player.

Whelan is just a big no. I'm loving Trap but he got it wrong. Garvan needed to be put into midfield to get some passing going.

Miller is ok for a place on the bench or something, but should never start. He did play one lovely pass out to the wing though, but his positional sense is awful.

Oh and MrNiceGuy, he meant pre-match.

Delaney was also decent, but the long punts annoy me.

again though the problem was the midfield. no one was ever looking for it or coming deep. Torres ran rampant because their positioning was awful. Miller for some reason kept drifting wide too leaving clear channels for the columbians to pass through.

again though the problem was the midfield. no one was ever looking for it or coming deep. Torres ran rampant because their positioning was awful. Miller for some reason kept drifting wide too leaving clear channels for the colombians to pass through.

;)

Yeah your right. With Andy Reid though, and Steven Reid they will come deep to collect it I am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Very decent match. The negativity from the commentators was something else, it would be fair if we were playing aginst some load of sh1te team, but against the 3rd or 4th best in S America with a large crowd behind them, they were talking sh1te tbh. Still not entirely convinced with McShane, made one very dangerous error. Kiely was amazing, to think we didnt try to coax him out of retirement instead of relying on Paddy fookin Kenny :confused: McGeady and Dunne were on top form as well. Doyle ok but a little disappointing, made a few solo runs that were never going to work.

As for the Colombians, very sloppy attacking, more shots over the bar than in a gah match. But your man Periera would be joint with Kiely for MOM tbh, solid defending.

shane86 wrote: »
    As for the Colombians, very sloppy attacking, more shots over the bar than in a gah match. But your man Periera would be joint with Kiely for MOM tbh, solid defending.

feck that; Guarín was their best player. he ran the game without even calling attention to himself. almost everything started through him. he showed he could play it through, play it long, and even had some handy footwork at times. he was the MOM for me.

• Advertisement

feck that; Guarín was their best player. he ran the game without even calling attention to himself. almost everything started through him. he showed he could play it through, play it long, and even had some handy footwork at times. he was the MOM for me.

Another legend in Football Manager

really? i've never come across him in the game... is this FM08 or earlier verisons? :D

still, Guarín was the perfect example of what Ireland's squad lacks. i hope Andy Reid can come in and do this job, but as a player he'd probably try and go forward to much, such is his background.

really? i've never come across him in the game... is this FM08 or earlier verisons? :D

still, Guarín was the perfect example of what Ireland's squad lacks. i hope Andy Reid can come in and do this job, but as a player he'd probably try and go forward to much, such is his background.

Football Manager 2005 and 2006 anyway

have 2007 but never bought him so not sure bout that. Perea was also good in it but Guairin was a legen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

[Hadafewpints]
    I thought Ireland were very fortunate to get an early goal against Colombia but after that they played fairly well. I've noticed a shift in confidence amongst the players which is for the better. McShane, who alot feel was the problem man against Serbia, played it cautious, passing back to the keeper and such. Colombia were certainly the better team in the 1st half but failed to scored and in the 2nd half Ireland played decently, taking more possesion and taking the ball.

All in all, it was better than the game against Serbia. What remains to be said is whether Serbia are a better team than Colombia (and all the anayltical ramifications that would result). I enjoyed the match, it was exciting.
    [/hadafewpints]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Twas an ok performance given the weak CM pairing. They couldn't hold possession at alli in the 2nd half. Presumably, A Reid can take on some of that when he comes back.

Was very impressed by Delaney - looks very capable. He also seems to be very, very tall - more like a centre-back (has he ever been a CB at club level?).

Keogh was decent - putting himself about. Looking to get involved defensively and offensively.

Still have serious reservations about McShane. The difference in demeanour between him and Dunne is stark. Off the ball, Dunne is always cool as a cucumber & appears very calm reading the game. McShane however always looks on the verge of panic and seem constantly unsure of whether to follow his man or drop deep.

Think id prefer O'Shea to partner Dunne but I guess Il Trap knows best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Meh wasnt a great game but I think considering the lack of anything in the centre(and well have the 2 Reids in there I reckon, maybe Ireland if he could ever get his crap together) of the park we did ok. Great work from Kiely and the defence (mainly). Mc Shane suffers too much from Titus Brambilitis. A decent defender but prone to some shocking mistakes which cost matches. Unacceptable for a CB imo. Keogh impressed which is good. We need all the defenders we can get atm. All in all, a decent evenings work for the lads and hopefully come September Il Trap will have already masterminded a plan for success. :D;) (Ok maybe Im getting my hopes up but its the first time in a while I've been anyways confident about the team.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The A.Reid S.Reid partership is going to happen in midfield and we will be ok!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Am I the only one who still has doubts about Andy Reid? I know he has generally performmed well for Ireland and he's got a manager that will try and get the most out of him, but I still have reservations about his fitness. A guy whose own fans chant "Andy Reid, plays left wing, he loves McDonalds and Burger King!" doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

His fitness has got increaslingly better since joining Sunderland! I think the problem with Reid is he's got a huge upper frame,and just can't seem to shift it!

I read somewhere Irish men have the tendancy to be top heavy. Sounds like bull****, but whatever.

I read somewhere Irish men have the tendancy to be top heavy. Sounds like bull****, but whatever.
    Sounds like it to,but do you know what mean?! He seem's to have a very broad chest!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Nevermid Andy Reid then but i think Steven Reid will be huge for us if he can get his form going again.

Hold on,I never said exclude him! Just he can't lose his chest,lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

So hes big boned then ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

+1

class act altogether.......in the game

Am I the only one who still has doubts about Andy Reid? I know he has generally performmed well for Ireland and he's got a manager that will try and get the most out of him, but I still have reservations about his fitness. A guy whose own fans chant "Andy Reid, plays left wing, he loves McDonalds and Burger King!" doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

tbh, those doubts are irrelevant. over the past few years, of the current crop of Irish players, Andy Reid has been the only midfielder to actively seek the ball and distribute it. He's basically the only hope we have for maintaining possession against the stronger teams, as he's the only player who will allow us to play the ball out of defence. He has to start for us. otherwise our defence will continue to be reduced to the long hopeful punts that we've become accustomed to over the past 3 or 4 years. so regardless of condition, we need him.

So hes big boned then ? :D
    As much as your ripping it....yes,he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

+1

class act altogether.......in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Trap quote of the month;

“If I was a singer, I would have to sing; if I was a pianist, I would have to play the piano. Today I said to the team, ’We have to be a team’.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhgbeyauojid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

jameshayes wrote: »
    Trap quote of the month;

“If I was a singer, I would have to sing; if I was a pianist, I would have to play the piano. Today I said to the team, ’We have to be a team’.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhgbeyauojid

I must admit I'm getting some great laughs out of Trap refusing to use his translator and ploughing on with the english he has, fair play to him
    It reminds alot of Ranieri when he started at chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Defo some positives after the game. Centre Mid was horrendous, thus the need to bypass them (hoof) IMO. Steven and Andy Reid will make a world of difference. Not sure about Delaney. looks kinda decent as a defender, but not good on the ball IMO. I'd play Kelly or Joey O'Brien on the right and O'Shea on left, and try my best to get Andy O'Brien back. McShane will cost us games IMO. Keane was pretty absent in the two games, trappatoni alluded to playing McGeady behind a striker in his interview before the game. I think a good ball player is what Keane needs up front with him to play quick ball with. All and all, we look like we have a clue. trappatoni seems to have the team playing a system at least. A few of the better players back, and we might just have a chance.

BTW, I defended Stephen Ireland during the 'Grannygate' nonsense, and didn't feel like he should apologise to his team etc. It was obviously a hard time for him, and thought he should be cut some slack. At this stage though, does anyone think he's gone too far? Personally, I think unless he makes some gesture that he 'really' wants to play in the green, he can stay in Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

JimiTime wrote: »
    BTW, I defended Stephen Ireland during the 'Grannygate' nonsense, and didn't feel like he should apologise to his team etc. It was obviously a hard time for him, and thought he should be cut some slack. At this stage though, does anyone think he's gone too far? Personally, I think unless he makes some gesture that he 'really' wants to play in the green, he can stay in Manchester.

He doesnt have a great attitude, but tbh his form for us is too good to let this get in the way. While Im not saying I approve plenty of players go awol for end of season friendlies.

TBH i'd prefer if he stayed away until he got his head in gear. As soon as he has everything sorted in his personal life he will want to come back and will be an asset, until then he should stay in manchester!

Delaney, whelan and miller were our weak points, no one to hold the ball and make the colombians chace, Keane and Doyle were outpaced, McGeady would have been able to do far better if he wasn't double marked. Someone done there homework on him me thinks. Dunne last night wasn't on top form, normally he'd be the only one you could put your money on. IMO (many people on here will say i'm a fool) but O'Shea had a top game, was strong, pushed forward when he needed to and was a solid player throughout the whole 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Anybody hear Trap's interview where he called John O'Shea "John Delaney" ?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Who does Delaney play for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I didn't watch the game so can't comment, only seen the highlights.

But surely we should be happy with the win, all be it they had most of the chances and Kiely was on top form. That was only half our first team against the third/fourth best team in South America?

Seems like there's room for improvement but it's great to see a win and to see Trappatoni actually have a plan for the team.

i don't think we really need him that badly tbh. As you may have guessed from my previous posts here, Andy Reid in the centre is a must for me. he's a bit of a lightweight though when it comes to the defensive duties though so that means playing someone more combative along side him, Carsley or Stephen Reid. Then advanced midfielder/support striker role you can play either Keane or Ireland. now as playing Ireland will automatically mean Keane will end up leading the line (which we've seen time and time again he can't do), i'd prefer to see Keane in the hole (where he performs best) and Doyle up front. The only place i'd have Ireland would be on the right of midfield, if he were available, but he's already made it pretty much a certainty he wont play there.

Qpr

monkey9 wrote: »
    Who does Delaney play for?

QPR, moved from Hull where he scored one or two crackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SantryRed wrote: »
    That was only half our first team against the third/fourth best team in South America?

This is fairly misleading imo.

Was it a full strength Colombia team, I doubt it was.

I watched the match, and thought Doyle and Keane did ok, as did Keily.

McShane is a definite weak spot, and people bigging him up surely now realise that he isn't up to international friendly standard, never mind competitive games.

That midfield isn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

DesF wrote: »
    This is fairly misleading imo.

Was it a full strength Colombia team, I doubt it was.

I watched the match, and thought Doyle and Keane did ok, as did Keily.

McShane is a definite weak spot, and people bigging him up surely now realise that he isn't up to international friendly standard, never mind competitive games.

That midfield isn't much better.

Yeah I was thinking that myself, but SSN seemed to be bigging them up enough last night after the game.

Have to agree with McShane, the chap is still living off that one game against the Czechs. Keane made a mistake buying him and no way will he be starting for Sunderireland next year. The game against Everton when he was at fault for at least three of the seven goals will have him gone in the summer. Seriously needs to be dropped and hopefully O'Brien will come back.

Advertisement